The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

GSX_TC

Preciate it guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I just gotta shake the car down and make sure I work out all the bugs before my 3000+ mile drive in 48 more days. So far so good.

ApexHunter

Damn Mike, that front end looks really sweet. It's all in the details. Sort of like how BMW has always done their M cars. Not really one thing that stands out that gives the car the aggressive look, but a bunch of little changes, none of which are too loud, and they all compliment each other. The car really has come far, way to see it through man. I remember seeing 550 at MOD before you got it, and it wasn't pretty.

GSX_TC

Thanks David, I've been Working my ass off and Its starting to pay off. Hey so tell me more about seeing the car before I had it, the previos owner actually took it to one of the MOD's there? Was it Carlos A or Ryan P?

91_427

Quoting GSX_TC:
Thanks guys, she's slowly getting there, headlights are reman'd OEM ones then taken apart to have the insides painted black, these didn't actually come on any car like this.

From 5am-5pm monday through Friday I do land surveying (the guys that are behind a tripod in the middle of streets sometimes) and from 530pm to midnight I work at Oreillys. 19 hour days FTW.

What car do the headlights go to then?

ApexHunter

^^^ They come on 550/2000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif One off deal by the sound of it.

Mike, this was 09 IIRC and i don't remember a specific conversation with the owner, but it was multi-colored and was begging for someone to give it some love. Kind of like my car right now, lol. Fortunately i got my ass in gear a few months ago and 1951 is on the upswing again, finally.

GSX_TC

Haha nice, yeah i bought it with a white door and fender back then, and I still keep in touch with the last 2 previous owners just so they can see how well the car is doing. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of it from those days would ya David? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting 91_427:

What car do the headlights go to then?

The headlights are just BNIB Galant VR4 ones that I had custom black housing done to.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Car looks great Mike! It's all coming together rather nicely. I've been wanting to do an oil cooler setup for awhile now on mine, and your pics have given me some ideas. I'm still running A/C in my car, so I might have to go a somewhat different route for mounting my cooler. How's the driveability with the new clutch setup? Again, the car looks great!

GSX_TC

Thanks Mr Dobrzyn, The clutch is getting better for some reason actually not as if anything was wrong with it before, but it went from good to great the other night. Tyler (ducttapeguy) came by this weekend and even felt the clutch pedal pressure and said it wasn't that bad at all. I just kinda hate that I can't really get on it yet due to breaking in the new motor and clutch though, but hopefully I'll have everything fully broken in come Shootout time T-minus 47 more days! =)

ApexHunter

Sorry dude, don't have any. Had a good time going through all my past MOD pics though.

GSX_TC

haha ok then.

anyways, made another video yesterday at work, was bored and it was time for an update (video wise) this is pretty much how she'll be till the shootout in 46 more days! click

jcgalntvr4-244

Looking good Mike now all ou need is an AMG wing
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting turbowop:
Car is looking better and better, Mike. I like the headlights, though I'm still not a fan of the HID's in there.

And what is going on with the paint behind this emblem?

IMG_5637_zps4303b0e6.jpg

I don't think the whole car looks like that does it? Can you have somebody wetsand and buff all that out? Looks pretty rough.

from what i recall the entire car looked like this in person and i only looked at it at night under low light. Then again his hood, bumpers etc have been replaced/painted since then.

Car is looking fantastic mike, i like how you went from the stupidest looking exhaust to NO exhaust at all haha. How is that thing to drive around town?

GSX_TC

haha thanks Josh, yeah it sounds pretty mean driving to and from work everyday, reminds me of a semi truck because of the turbo lol. but i love it, im trying my hardest to not womp on it till the clutch and motor atleast have 500 miles of normal driving. but its soo hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif This morning on the way to work there is the two lane stop light that merges to one lane about 500 feet ahead and when someone pulls next to you and doesnt turn right that means their gonna try to over take you, and this morning i rolled off the line and quickly saw that he was going straight in a hurry right after the light turned green then did a 1st gear short shift then kinda stretched her legs in 2nd and kept the other vehicle from over taking me Lol i couldnt help it but i hate when they do that.

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
Looking good Mike now all ou need is an AMG wing
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know right, you already know Jeremy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Did you reinstall the triangular stress plate on the passenger side by the tranny when you installed all the Bullfab stuff?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That is a valid point, as you have no cross-member rigidity with it open like that (especially both sides).

GSX_TC

Quoting BluFalcon:
Did you reinstall the triangular stress plate on the passenger side by the tranny when you installed all the Bullfab stuff?

are you talking about the gusset? if so, no because the bulfab bar replaces that. its plenty sturdy without it, you can even jack up the entire car from the main bar.

MellowVR4

I was wondering about that, i didnt see one in that pic.

BluFalcon

Quoting GSX_TC:
Quoting BluFalcon:

are you talking about the gusset? if so, no because the bulfab bar replaces that. its plenty sturdy without it, you can even jack up the entire car from the main bar.

It's been a long time since I've been under my car, but doesn't that gusset plate reinforce the subframe to the unibody in some way? Or it might just reinforce the two halves of the rear subframe. I know I've had to drop that plate, AND the F/R crossmember whenever the tranny comes out. The Bullfab bar on the passenger side replaces the F/R crossmember but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the gusset plate.

I don't know, maybe it's just the anal retentive aircraft mechanic side of me that's making me think that the plate should be reinstalled.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

^^^^

Nope it should be installed. There is a picture someplace here that shows a subframe cracked because of this plate not being installed.

No big deal though he has some bad ass parts that didn't fit correctly the first time and he can pick the car up from them so they must be good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

GSX_TC

Boostedinaz quit being a douche, I've been daily driving this car everyday since the Bulfab bar has been installed, and have had ZERO problems with any "cracks" so obviously this setup doesn't need the gusset or else vassil would have included it back into his design.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned