The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

Gizmovr4

Mike,

The gusset is needed to keep the rear subframe from spreading and cracking - I have welded numerous subframes that cracked because it wasn't installed. That doesn't mean that yours will crack- however it's only a few bolts and well worth the installation in my opinion . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Car is looking great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Can the gusset even be installed using the Bulfab 3-piece crossmember though?

BluFalcon

I think so. As long as the passenger side F/R bar is using one of the holes that was used with the original F/R crossmember. I believe the gusset plate is offset and separate from the mount points for the F/R crossmember.

GSX_TC

I'm gonna send an email to Vassil at Bulfab and see whats up.

BluFalcon

I just looked at your pics and you should be able to bolt it back up no problem. There's 5 bolts total, and it looks like the gusset plate clears the rod end of the F/R bar.

For the record, I wasn't trying to start anything. I just noticed that the gusset plate was missing, and I wanted to make sure you knew that it wasn't there. Personally, if it were me, I'd have reinstalled it when the new stuff went on, no matter what anyone might say. But that's just me.

transparentdsm

^ i would def put this back in, it should be there. i drove without mine the day i swapped my trans before i moved to make sure things were all good and i could feel the car flexing when i was driving. i mean maybe it was in my head because i knew it wasn't in there, but i feel like it makes a pretty big difference.

turbowop

Quoting GSX_TC:
Boostedinaz quit being a douche, I've been daily driving this car everyday since the Bulfab bar has been installed, and have had ZERO problems with any "cracks" so obviously this setup doesn't need the gusset or else vassil would have included it back into his design.

He wasn't being a douche, IMO. Sometimes you have this attitude as though the parts you buy are AMAZING OMG. Yet they're not. You installed some tubular crossmembers that didn't fit correctly the first time and required modification, yet go on and on about how awesome said parts are. Then question the longtime members here that tell you that you need said gusset because you think these ill fitting parts that required modification to fit will somehow add enough strength to delete it. His attitude was justified if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

Who the hell said the parts in my car are "AMAZING OMG"?? lol I mean geez my whole break in setup ain't sh*t, and will be getting tossed in favor of better parts later on. And he was being a douche because his ass never has nice things to say. Instead of talking to me like a normal person the dude comes off as an asshole to me and that's what I hate the most. I'm not an asshole but when others talk to me like that it makes me be one.

And to clarify for you because you seem to know all about my intentions for my own damm car, I bought the bar for weight reduction and added space beneath, And that def won't be the last tubular piece I buy either. and I do plan on racing the car, just not right now because obviously I'm still breaking in the motor and clutch so give me a break dude. And I have been daily driving this car everyday since the build, already have nearly 400 miles done.

And for you last question, I'm always doing stuff to this car so it's not like I'm not underneath there everytime the car is at a shop getting something done to it. Plus if the gusset plate will bolt back on then there's no need to even have this conversation.

turbowop

The whole point of the gusset plate is that it will bolt back on. But you know so little about the parts you installed on the car that you don't even realize that you still need it. You're so stuck on your Bullfab stuff (which didn't even fit correctly) that you get super defensive when people question whether or not you still need the gusset plate. That's why we're having this conversation.

FYI, motors don't require a break in. If you plan to race the car, go out and seat the rings, change the oil, then run it like you're going to drive it from there on out. Clutch, sure. Get the disk material bedded into the pressure plate and flywheel. But you didn't get a kevlar disk. You got a ceramic disk. It doesn't require that much to break it in.

GSX_TC

Motor does require break in, I mean sh*t you change the oil like what after intial start up, and first 50 miles, then 100 etc etc, but I'm sure everyone breaks motors in differently.

And as for the clutch, Tim Zimmer himself told me to break in that clutch for 5 to 600 miles of normal stop and go driving, no launches or Dyno, or bangin through the gears until then. So I'm not making this sh*t up man.

turbowop

The discussion of break-in isn't even the point here. The only reason I bring up the subject of you installing tubular sh*t like that is because I've never seen you do anything that seems to warrant their install, like racing. And I'm not talking about recently. You've had the car for a long time now, yet I have yet to see you do anything with it other than throw parts at it, drive it to O'Reillys, and take pics. That's why I question their function on your build.

Then when others ask why you don't have the gusset, you get all huffy puffy like we're all supposed to know that the Bullfab stuff makes it okay, yet you're not even sure yourself. You just seem to get so caught up with the parts you install, that you don't see the whole picture or you forget important pieces that keep your subframe from cracking. Not to mention the fact that you installed some tubular items to lighten the car for racing (so you say) yet you've done nothing else to remove weight elsewhere on the car. To me, those are race car parts that you're putting on your street car. The minimal amount of weight they shed will do you nothing for performance, IMO.

That said, you can put whatever parts you want on your car. Even if you don't care about saving weight elsewhere, if you think they're cool, so be it. But don't try to defend products that you yourself aren't even fully sure about. Or just reinstall the gusset plate and make everybody here happy. At the very least, have somebody else do it and take pics of the action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSX_TC

I know the break in wasn't the point here, I was just correcting you since you seem to think it's fine to just seat the rings in motors and not change the oil more then once /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

And like I said already, if the gusset fits ill put the godamm thing back on.

turbowop

You're not correcting me. I don't believe in breaking in motors. Like I said...seat the rings and have at it. Yes, change the oil, but that's about it.

And as far as "ready" to be tracked... ? Put some parts on and see what it does. Put some more parts on and see how much faster it gets. Do some more tuning and see what that nets you. Are you not going to run it until it's complete? I don't think anybody's build is ever complete. I know mine never has been and still isn't. I'm not rushing you, I just wanna see some results so far. If I used your way of thinking, I wouldn't be running in a street car comp next month...because I have more things I wanna do with my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quit being a little pansy and run the f***ing thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Would you rather that everybody just ooh'd and ahhh'd over your pics? You don't appreciate some constructive criticism that may help out your build in the end? For what it's worth, I'm not hating on your build or car. I think it's come a long way. But if it weren't for a lot of us giving you sh*t about some of the weird things you've done to you car (or haven't done, like taking forever to fix your camber), you might not have seen some of that sh*t and fixed it. I realize this stuff costs money. I own one of these money pits as well. I just think your logic in mod spending is a bit out there sometimes.

MellowVR4

I just replaced the front subframe on my GGSX because the gusset plate was not installed. Just thought i'd give my .2 on the gusset topic. I know you said you would put it back on, and thats good, I wouldnt risk it not having one on, especially when you spend soo much money on your car...

EHmotorsports

I build race and street engines all the time. Initial seat the rings process and put it on the track. No break in needed if the clearances are properly set.
Same goes with the clutches. But we only use metal composit discs and they seat in just fine after a weekend at the track.

cheekychimp

Quoting BluFalcon:
Did you reinstall the triangular stress plate on the passenger side by the tranny when you installed all the Bullfab stuff?

Quoting GSX_TC:
Are you talking about the gusset? if so, no because the bulfab bar replaces that. its plenty sturdy without it, you can even jack up the entire car from the main bar.

Quoting boostedinaz:
^^^^ Nope it should be installed. There is a picture someplace here that shows a subframe cracked because of this plate not being installed.

Quoting GSX_TC:
Boostedinaz quit being a douche, I've been daily driving this car everyday since the Bulfab bar has been installed, and have had ZERO problems with any "cracks" so obviously this setup doesn't need the gusset or else vassil would have included it back into his design.

Mike, this is exactly what I was talking about mate. Myles was the member who had his subframe split wide open due to not using the gusset plate. I crawled under his car and inspected the damage in Terry Posten's garage about 5 years ago when I was in the States. The people here aren't trolling mate, they are trying to help you and look at the answers you gave.

If you want everyone to just say the car looks great and nothing else that's fine we can all do it. And when in 6 months time you have a WTB thread for a new front subframe or your car is back at the shop to have the front subframe removed and welded up you can have a long hard think about why it was your "friends" didn't bother to warn you when they knew this might happen.

Please post up what Vassil has to say about this too. It would spread more light upon how much genuine thought went into his design.

Paul.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
To try and keep on topic...

The gusset plate is a separate piece on the passenger side, but on the driver's side the front/rear link runs across the crossmember and serves the same purpose though one piece. Not having seen the car in person, it appears to me in the photos that the front/rear links in your setup end at the front edge of the cross member on both sides.

GSX_TC

Installed the Missing Gusset plate back on Samara today over at FIST, and sorry to whoever i sounded like a dick to for suggesting to install this piece, i just didnt know it could of been used with the bulfab bar.

2q2n5vs.jpg

2nrzg3m.jpg

x5usfb.jpg

LIV4PSI

The car looks great Mike, I can't wait to see it in person at the Shootout.

Don't let some of the assholes on this site discourage you. It is dominated by the 'old' members, half of which don't even own VR4s anymore. (Im not referring to anyone in particular)

Last edited:

turbowop

Without said assholes, Mike would be enjoying a cracked subframe in the near future.

Glad you put the gusset back on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts