The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

turbowop

Did they just mask off the chrome strip? It looks old. Rip that sh*t out of there and install a new one. Find a similar strip and redo the whole car. It's the little things like that, that make the big differences in overall appearance.

GSX_TC

Yeah they just masked it off, im just worried that if i replace it with some new chrome strip that it wont look OEM anymore with the fitment of the new stuff, ya know.

cheekychimp

Mike,

Is the visor new? And is it OEM (attaches with brackets) or a copy (attached with adhesive)? It actually looks to be in really good shape! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IncorpoRatedX

im guessing copy, he said a bit back that it came with 3m adhesive.

turbowop

Quoting GSX_TC:
Yeah they just masked it off, im just worried that if i replace it with some new chrome strip that it wont look OEM anymore with the fitment of the new stuff, ya know.

Go to an automotive paint supply store and see what they carry. The black strip I installed in 1051 is identical to the OE chrome stuff, but black.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Most replacement strips including the factory one have tape attached. You peel and install pressing on it to activate the adhesive (PSA-pressure sensitive adhesive).

Mike should have pulled it before. I would worry now about exposing a paint edge that could peel if he pulls it out now.

GSX_TC

Yeah the rear visor is just held on with 3M double sided tape so it must me a copy. I may use screws to further fasten it down though.

Mark, yeah Tr3azy said he has a source that can get them in the same OEM style but in black like yours so I asked him if he could ask if they have chrome, because I would llke to retain the chrome strip all round, I like it alot.

IncorpoRatedX

all black everything would look pretty sweet... or maybe dark gray...?

blacksheep

Quoting GSX_TC:
Yeah the rear visor is just held on with 3M double sided tape so it must me a copy. I may use screws to further fasten it down though.

Wait! What? Are you talking about drilling holes into the body of the car to hold this visor down? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Dude, if you drill into the body - that makes it irreversible, increases chances for rust to start and a PITA to fix later on IMHO. Your car, do what you want but I would not drill holes into the body if it were me unless underhood or underneath for a specific purpose like wiring, lines etc

GSX_TC

Well I haven't hit that point yet because I don't know how or where it's going to mount exactly, I wasn't going to drill into the body lol, but I was thinking possibly going into those plastic pieces that are around the glass if that's where it mounts of course.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You won't need screws. Prep, with some plastic prep packs - hopefully supplied with the visor, and stick it once.
Make sure things are warm/hot and it will stick for a very long time. If it ever fails to stick, use some fishing line or similar
to slice the tape and pull the visor. Use the large rubber eraser wheels off the tool trucks to erase the glue, rinse repeat, stick.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GSX_TC

Thanks for that info, what are pastic prep packs btw?

jepherz

Staff member
He's referring to the 3m product sold at auto body stores. I think it's normally referred to as "Plastic prep" and I've seen it come in handi-wipe type packets. It supposedly works so well, some body shops just wipe the old tape with it and re-apply, lol.

VR4_1752

Test fit mine today, it sticks on the glass.

pmp285

Oem has brackets? But attaches to where? There nothing to attach a bracket to at the rear windscreen and its outlines matches the glass part not on the window trim. So, im thinking 2way tape is oem. Coz ive only seen brackets on side window visors. And i have a friend here who had the rear visor (jdm surplus) and it was attached by 2 way tape

GSX_TC

Quoting VR4_1752:
Test fit mine today, it sticks on the glass.

Care to post a pic of how it looks?

Quoting pmp285:
Oem has brackets? But attaches to where? There nothing to attach a bracket to at the rear windscreen and its outlines matches the glass part not on the window trim. So, im thinking 2way tape is oem. Coz ive only seen brackets on side window visors. And i have a friend here who had the rear visor (jdm surplus) and it was attached by 2 way tape

Yeah I was wondering the same thing because where would the brackets and or screws go lol.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I have a nice close up of yours Oldman Tau from that one night we all met up and took pics but i still don't understand how it uses those screws and brackets.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned