The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

project honda killer aka 1033/2000

bazeng

I agree with curtis.

Why dont you want rods?
They are not very expensive.

To get stock rods to hold decent power with some piece of mind would be to shot peen + arp them. And with the ARP's you may want to rehone them too. You might as well get Eagles in that case.

curtis

I'll add one more thing. With stock rods at 350hp it will last at 450 maybe fine as well if polished peened etc.. A big mistake I did and others as well is TIMING not cam time or ignition but being in a fricking hurry cause the car can't be down. Back when I was in school, compression was going down and engine was getting tired. I ported up a head and over a 4 day break snatched the head and transfer case off replaced the head and pulled the pistons and rods and replaced the bearings and rings and dingle berry honed the cylinders and threw it back together. We over the years of start and go traffic and numerous bullshit DXD, Centerforce and ACT clutches the thrust was worn past the limits, I always had a clunk clunk when decel or accelerating it was crankwalk I figured out. Make sure you or anyone else that reads this replace your mains if the pan is off and to the clutch switch mod on the underside of the dash and get use to starting the car with the clutch released so your not pushing the crank against the trust. In my opinion its the best mod to do to any stick shifted car.

Kenny_Kline

Can you replace the main bearings with the crank still in the car???

If so, then you would have to buy new main bolts as the stock ones are torque to yield.

Is that all correct? I have my pan off and was going to just do a rod swap and leave the main bearings/bolts alone.

Well i picked up a set of eagle rods they should be here this week i also droped the block off to nrgtech racing to get bored to fit my pistons more pics of my build will be up this week

Quoting Kenny_Kline:
Can you replace the main bearings with the crank still in the car???

If so, then you would have to buy new main bolts as the stock ones are torque to yield.

Is that all correct? I have my pan off and was going to just do a rod swap and leave the main bearings/bolts alone.

Dude you told me you have helped put many 2.4Ls together..... After reading this, I will be sure not to take any advice from you.

my sexy ross pistons .30 over

and my sx performance fpr .im trying to figure out what lines and fittings im going to need in order to hook it up

I used Scott's auto machine shop in Lynnbrook he builds all my mitsu blocks. Never had a problem with pump gas and quick pull on the dyno made 329hp and drive it every day. Good luck with your project.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned