The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

GSX_TC

And Chris Delgado meets Samara!! =D

Still up here at the shop and Chris had time in between cars to do a quick tune to get her on E85, before we Dyno tune it later on today. I've been wanting to take this pic for the longest time!!

Dyno results coming soon, got two cars ahead of me and it takes a few hours a car. Soo excited I can't even eat! Lol

GSX_TC

Ok guys here's the video, she made 391 awhp and 280 torque at 16 psi and 81% IDC, it could make a lot more but we ran out of pump and the 1050's too. BIG thanks to Mike At Fist Racing for making this all possible and Chris Delgado at D3 Performance Engineering for his mad skills.

Dyno Video

Last edited:

Barnes

Good work. I'd suggest a set of PNW-Elite 1051 low impedance injectors to break through that limitation and lay down some serious numbers!

GSX_TC

Dual pumps and 2150's are next on the to do list .

LIV4PSI

Aren't there multiple graphs? I was thinking that one was boost and afr.

GSX_TC

Nope I only took that one pic, I was supposed to get the paper but wanted to hurry and go home, was very tired. But yeah Chris tried to squeeze out as much power as he could safely from this setup but there's just not enough pump or injectors for the numbers I want, so the next things purchased will be 2150's and dual pumps. Prob L19's too. All the TX2k stuff has made me spend a LOT of money these past few weeks lol, but it's all worth it. Although I wanna make more power, I still love how it is right now, because it's a night and day difference of how it used to be.

LIV4PSI

It looks like you have to shift as soon as the power hits. I think Spencer was referring to the lag and 1,000rpm powerband.

I knew that guy on FB who was talking about full boost at 4k was on crack.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

What kind of total timing advance were you running at 16psi around 6500-7k rpm? I would think you could have handily run 20+ psi with that turbo and injectors. Only 81% IDC leaves quite a bit of room for more power, but i could see this being a nice conservative "street tune" on the very safe side of things.

The way the power keeps climbing until you let off definitely indicates you've got some decent cams. I'm surprised it didnt drop off a bit, since you still have a stock intake manifold.

slugsgomoo

I honestly wonder if with 1050cc injectors if you'd have done as well or better with 92 octane, given that numerous people have been well over 500 on a similar setup. I kind of feel like without the pump & injectors for e85 you're probably hamstringing yourself a bit.

That said, still a respectable power number especially for wastegate pressure. What kind of timing are you seeing at peak torque?

coyotes

Quoting GSX_TC:
Nope I only took that one pic, I was supposed to get the paper but wanted to hurry and go home, was very tired. But yeah Chris tried to squeeze out as much power as he could safely from this setup but there's just not enough pump or injectors for the numbers I want, so the next things purchased will be 2150's and dual pumps. Prob L19's too. All the TX2k stuff has made me spend a LOT of money these past few weeks lol, but it's all worth it. Although I wanna make more power, I still love how it is right now, because it's a night and day difference of how it used to be.

nice numbers, that's about the max I would want out of my car. Maybe in a few years!

LIV4PSI

It's a base tune, and these are baseline numbers. Shooting for anything less than 500hp on that turbo is silly. Risking an expensive engine for big numbers on pump would be silly as well though.

At least now everyone can be happy that Mr. GSX-TC has a properly setup and running VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

166F88E1-46AD-4AC7-85A8-D713C734C743_zpsozg2a29a.jpg

That's a great picture!

mitsuturbo

Quoting LIV4PSI:

I knew that guy on FB who was talking about full boost at 4k was on crack.

I see/hear this all too often, and then i realize it's no wonder some guys think "imports are a joke". So many overinflated claims of awesome performance numbers. "I was seeing full boost by 2800 rpm on e3 16g" and similar bullshit isn't even worth disputing most of the time.

jnava

Staff member
Relevant info, dyno numbers at tx2k14

fuel

so it makes about the same power as my near stock VR-4?

4thStroke

Regardless to of the motor being ran short, the torque curve is lacking as well, it should have peaked, leveled off, and tapered, which I don't see at all.

What are you using for boost control? If the boost control has a slow ramp, that could explain it, but still not definite. It looks like either poor boost control or very low timing.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Yeah on that Dyno at TX2k it didn't have enough load and wasn't letting the car creep to 16 pounds like it did on the street and D3's Dyno. It only peaked at 10 pounds on that Dyno. I was pissed. And I can't turn the boost up because I'm already out of pump. So I'll be most likely upgrading wastgates and routing the wg dump tube back in the down pipe to help solve the creep issue, then go ahead and do the dual 255's and 2150's.

turbowop

Not enough load? Looks like it worked for everybody else?

Running the wastegate dump tube into the downpipe won't alleviate a boost creep issue. You're trying to run super low boost on a turbo that needs to be ran above 20psi at a minimum anyway. Why don't you just do the pump and injectors now? That will allow you to run higher boost and then you won't need to spend money on moar wastegates.

jnava

Staff member
Under the circumstances, you need to use that turbo under operating range...I assume these compressor wheels are smaller than the HTA units. I have the 3582r and its efficiency is 2.5 or 36lbs. You need moar boost.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned