The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The never ending build of 1062.

CarRacer

Insane. I know you've poured a ton of work into that car, glad to see it has paid off for you.

turbowop

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif

Lightning1

Thst is an impressive time for a car that has a lot of time and $$ into it. I wish my car could be there but sadly it will never make it.

Keep up the good work and I enjoy reading the progress of the car.

Galantvr41062

There was a local Dyno day here at MAP this weekend. I pulled the head off my car to replace some bent exhaust valves and drove it down there to see how the car did on an AWD DynoJet.

I replaced the 2mm oversized exhaust valves with 1mm over valves. I ended up lapping them in, which worked great and they sealed just fine.

We turned the boost down to 36psi and did some street runs on the way down there, everything looked good, if felt good on power for that boost level. We looked at the logs and made some changes, upped the boost to 40psi and the first run it miss fired a little and made just under 800AWHP at 40psi. So we added some timing where it was missing and the 2nd run was clean, 829AWHP and 554ft/lb at 40psi with a little less overall timing then it had when it was on the dyno early this year at DB Performance.

So we cooled the intercooler down and tried to up the boost again, shooting for 44psi, forgot to up the boost cut, fixed that and tried again, it missed a lot, and put down 860something.

At DB early this year at 40psi on the dyno dynamics it made 720 un corrected AWHP, and at the same boost level on the AWD Dyno Jet it made 829ahwp at the same boost, dang.

I figure a clean cooled down pull at 44psi the car would make low to mid 900's, which is right were it should be.

JohnLaCroix.jpg

I should have pics and videos later this week, thanks Josh for helping tune and use your camera.

A big thanks to all the people that made this car possible: Ryan, Kyle, Josh, CP Pistons, Carrillo rods, Karl Ramm, KRAMM-LOX, Paul, Chuck at HTM, Shane at DB Performance, Jacks Trans.

~John

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I can't wait to see those pulls!!

Galantvr41062

The car was running great. Then on the way home the keepers on the #4 cylinder #2 exhaust valve blew out. The valve dropped and some damage fallowed.

Here are the pics:
Canon_photos_0391.jpg

Canon_photos_0401.jpg

Canon_photos_0651.jpg

Canon_photos_0572.jpg

I am headed up to work to clean up the back up block and pick up my parts to finish assemble the back up motor. Then I will pull the tranny apart to fix 3rd/4th gear shifting and with any luck I will be at Cedar Falls the 9th.

~John

Tre3zy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GSX_TC

Ouch.

JB

This thread is a rollercoaster of emotion...

First I was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, then i was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Galantvr41062

Canon_photos_091.jpg

Canon_photos_092.jpg

Canon_photos_0981.jpg

Canon_photos_1041.jpg

Canon_photos_102.jpg

So the back up motor is a short block as of Sunday night. I have the head ready to bolt down, so when I get home tomorrow it will be a few more coats of copper spray on the head gasket, then I will tear the rest of the way into the tranny then bolt the head on before I go to bed.

~John

Galantvr41062

Well the back up motor did get finished minus the oil pan and manifolds, etc. Other factors came into play and the car did not get back together for 1 more outing before winter. So the chassis stays apart for the winter and my plans are this as of right now: Sell the back up motor, sell the tranny that is now fixed and with shift with no issues into 3rd and 4th, sell some other misc items to raise the needed funds to get a dog box and slicks on the car for next year. I am also doing a 5 lug swap with longer wheel studs and threw lug nuts, drive shaft safety loop, passenger door bar, scatter shield, full fire suit, new helmet, and I am talking with a guy to get some paint on the car over winter. The race motor with get 1 new piston from CP and a freshen up for next year, I will also be doing a new head with a copper head gasket, or something better then a felpro permatorque. I am looking at reducing the size of the water to air head exchanger and I might swap in a full sized radiator, or buy a better 1/2 size. This little cheap radiator has been leaking on and off the last 2 years, some due to the cracked cylinder wall in 2010, and some from this year and pushing coolant.

~John

Galantvr41062

Time for a small update.

The rods/pistons are back at CP Carrillo.

I am getting a hole new set of pistons. They looked at the ones I sent back and there making some changes to the design, adding more gas ports for the top ring, polishing things, and changing the outer shape to help stability and reduce skirt scuffing.

The rods will be checked in every way and new small end bushings installed.

I should have the parts back in a month or so.

As for the rest of the setup a dog box is not going to happen this year. But I will get slicks, cute, full fire suit, helmet, the new twin disk with spline drive disks, new head, new head and main studs, a back up tranny, new t belt stuff, a copper head gasket. Chassis will have a few updates, nothing major. And the plan is to work on the short track and get the 60' closer to the 1.4-1.5 range then go back to BIR and take another crack the ET record.

Last edited:

Galantvr41062

I will have my rods and new set of pistons late next week. I have ordered stuff from parts dinosaur and am talking with MAP and Dukes for the rest of the parts.

Some good changes this year is new timing belt stuff, I am building a new head with 1mm over valves new springs and crazy light titanium retainers plus shims to tighten up the springs as much as possible.

The block with just get the glaze broken and new rings/bearings installed.

I am going to try a ICS Titan copper head gasket: click

And new MAP ultimate duty L19 studs.

Also I am getting a set of Hoosier QTP tires: click

I will make a few minor changes to the entire setup. The goal is a little less rattles, fix some drivability, and get the car aligned, and have the ems control boost and have VSS input with an electronic speed sensor from a 2g.

I will post pics and updates as needed.

~John

scooter

What didn't you you like about the fel pro? Also, what heads studs with the felpro? Just asking because lots of high power people use the fel pro, and I don't recall anybody really using a copper. Most dsm people actually dislike copper.

Either way, super sick build. The front end work is awesome. The weight you have achieved is insane. Great times to top it off! Props also for staying manual. Can't wait to see some slick times with a dogbox!

Galantvr41062

I have had 2 permafails in my car. The one that was in it for the first part of the season started to leak between the layers on the dyno, but it only pushed coolant at 42+psi so I left it alone as long as I could then after the record run at BIR it started to leak at 40psi. So I installed a new gasket and drove to the map dyno day and made 830 at 40psi and was already leaking after 14 miles.

And I want to turn the boost up this year so I need a gasket that should never leak.

The main issue is the permaleak has no ring or anything between the layers to seal cylinder pressure.

I like the older cometec better, but that's just me.

And when this 4202 lets the ghost out at 50+psi I will get a Borg Warner 4202 or the BW billet 80mm to replace it.

scooter

What headstuds with the felpro? Just saw where you were getting a1s, and thought you might have been using standards. I know Kevin and Mike both have good luck with them is the reason I was asking. This is the first thing I've ever really heard bad about them. Mike blew both kinds of sce copper gaskets with orings. He also tried an oem mls with orings. Never had any luck till switching to the perma torque without the orings. I know lots of stuff comes into play such as wire type, wire height, etc, but mike is good friends with all the big wigs so I'm sure his combos were right. Either way good luck with the problem. I would love to see an 8 second pass with the manual.

Galantvr41062

Yes I was using a-1 L19s torqued to 105ft/lbs with a ton of moly lube. I will post pics of the leaking gasket. If the copper does not work out I will try something else.

I would think when my car lifts the head its making more power then other people not having issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned