The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

379/1000 First Start ....Build Log

broxma

So the new stuff is installed. The problem is, the old stuff doesn't work with the new stuff. I am in the process of getting with my welding hook up because it looks like I need to build an entire new DP due to angular changes. Also, I have even less room to work with now up front and given the delay with the DP am looking to relocate the radiator somehow. Early pictures will be up tomorrow but the project has only just begun in reality.

/brox

524of1000

I have a crappy cell pic or 2. I'll wait till you post some up. The people must see this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

The gauge bezel for the clock location is a very cool idea. I see you have evo 8 recaro's. I bought some for my galant, I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

broxma

That gauge thing is Steve's handiwork. I just run the two gauge setup in the old dual din radio position. But that's too much Steve already for this post. Onto what I really came here for.

So we start here.

2ee8sar.jpg

We got the Ebay "AMK" Manifold with the Tial knock off Wastegate. The manifold was totally fine, but the gate, not so much. As noted in previous posts, we had to mod the mani to get it to fit and even dumped straight out the bottom, it can't hold boost down at all. This lead the car to run anywhere from 11 to 37 PSI, throttle dependent. So, I find a solution.

if7ddw.jpg

A fresh out of the box DN Performance T3 Manifold with a V-Band 44mm gate. The Wastegate is from the company "On3 Performance" which sells their stuff on the Bay. I contacted them about their gates before purchasing it and was pleased with what I heard. They specialize in V8 turbos and the like with some parts going on Turbo diesels and such. My concern was how did their gate compare to say the big two, Tial and Synapse, and how well did this control boost on the low end? The response I got was they had put two of the 44mm gates on a TD truck running somewhere around 70PSI. The flange and manifold melted, but the gate was fine. They use a dual spring setup and have been able to keep boost levels on a Mustang south of 3 PSI. I said, ship it and we'll give her a go.

I took the Turbo off the car.

33wth1y.jpg

Not much to see here, literally.

Now, why do this you ask when all I'm doing is replacing the manifold? Well, it's the Ebay GSP 3582R fool!. It's been around the block now for close to 8K, been pumping 15-30(throttle controlled) PSI the whole way and run on nothing but Valvoline VR1 20w-50. Let's see what she looks likes.

15qc313.jpg

Just the hotside with the housing removed but you'll notice the abject lack of anything on the oil seal. There is a weeping leak at the oil inlet fitting but that's my fault. Wanted to see how much blow by I was getting, peeked up the cold side housing to take a look.

1428p4z.jpg

...as a whistle. I have to say, I am relatively impressed. The turbo has no shaft play, no lateral play, no oil anywhere except for the aforementioned inlet fitting. Quite positive thus far. The real test is still a week or so away though, but more on that later.

So, we reassemble, and...

2nt93jq.jpg

Give it the thumbs up. I got some baby hands with some gnawed azz fingernails, but it's still a big bastard and still pretty amazing for what I paid. Onto the new stuff. First, a side note. Gaskets.

Of course we have 19,000 different exhaust gaskets for the car, most of which work most of the time. Some not so much. I got in touch with the guys down at the shop here and they found that RemFlex makes a gasket for the 4G63 motor. If you don't know what that is, it is this.

2mx1t39.jpg

It's basically a graphite gasket. Graphite has amazing heat retention ability but is very soft. This means two things. One, it absorbs a lot of heat, and two, it can crush. To give you an idea of how thick this gasket is, I compared it to the thickness of my lighter.

nzzv8.jpg

It's got some width there. What this does is allows the manifold to be effectively torqued totally incorrectly, and it will still seal. The company claims they tested some gaskets with only half the studs, and it still seals. In addition, the Graphite is good for north of 3000 degrees, so no chance of a blow out. There are two problems with it. First, you can only use it once, but at just 35.00, not a big issue. Second...

j6lrgx.jpg

It ain't cut right. The holes for the exhaust ports were not even close to the size they needed to be. The material was all there around it, but I had to manually cut the holes out. I did this with a side cut drill bit and my Dremel. Any bit with fine teeth on it gummed up almost immediately, because the graphite is so soft and waxy, it instantly fills any small grooves, like on a carbide bit. The side cut drill bit worked well though, just a bit messy.

2ia61qe.jpg

So here are the manifolds side by side. The mount flanges are the same thickness, but the runners on the DNP are longer and equal length. The AMK are not as noted by the double under 1-2 pipes. Also, the mount location of the turbo flange is different. Hmmm, this might be bad.

15rnply.jpg

This is bad. The turbo won't go on the studs of the new manifold. Why not. Well it's GSP. So the holes aren't right dead on, where as with the DNP, Pretty damn sure they are. No bother, Dremel, carbide bit, 2 minutes and...

10zzjpy.jpg

All better. So I installed the setup in one piece back on the car, then came the next part. The wastegate dump. What shall I do with that. Oh, I know. I'll...

2mcdpxl.jpg

Run it through the top of the hood. The way I see it is, sure, I drive it on the street, and sure, flames may shoot out the hood, but this is Texas. I got a redneck down the road from me has dual 6 inch pipes on his dually up behind his cab like the damn Rubber Duck from SatB, and no one seems to give a hoot. It's also the loudest truck I ever heard next to the jet powered Van I saw once, but still, not a problem. In Texas, we can pretty much do whatever we want.

ngcyso.jpg

So I hacked the pipe down to sit somewhat flush with the hood. I am still working on cleaning up the hole a bit, but this was not a problem. The problem, I didn't take pictures of because I am that way.

So from the beginning. I had this sweet Thermal 2.5" exhaust I traded Steve for his 3". It never really fit, but mostly because of the custom O2 dump I have. With the AMK manifold, the DP barely fit under the pan, it hit the pan actually, and didn't really seal well on the O@ housing. I figured, new mani, Remflex 3" exhaust gasket, should be solved. Well I mentioned earlier, the turbo mount flange between the two manifolds is different. So much so, the DP is a full 2 inches off the O2 housing and hitting the pan. Even with the tail end of the DP laying on the ground, I can't get the flanges to touch. So the quandary. I can't drive it, and I don't have a welder at the house. The immediate solution is going to be finish the turbo install, and use a 12" hacked straight section off another exhaust and just dump the exhaust straight to the ground. Drive it over to the shop, and have the new DP made, or old one modified. Hopefully, we will take care of some of the noise issues with the exhaust and get a decent seal on the flanges. The good news is, the shop I'm going to, is the same one with the AWD Mustang Dyno. So once the new setup is on, a day or so later, it will finally hit the dyno. I have money saved up in case anything serious goes wrong with the car on the dyno, but I have no plans on pushing it to far. My goal is modest, in the 4-500 hp range.

So I will update in a few days. The temp fix to get it to the shop will happen this weekend, and I hope to be at the shop getting the DP fixed Monday. This puts Dyno time somewhere in the middle to end of next week. Again, 450WHP, and this turbo was worth every penny. It's already lasted longer than most would have expected.

/brox

broxma

Due to the manifold difference, I ran the car down to Noribuilt here in San Antonio today with Steve. Getting a custom(er) exhaust made for the car that hopefully won't shake like a epileptic and actually sticks out the rear of the car. Not sure If I'll be picking it up today or tomorrow, but as soon as I get it back, I'll take the final setup pictures with the new exhaust. Later this week, dyno time.

/brox

broxma

Been a while since I have updated this. A lot has changed on the externals of the motor recently, so I'll take some pictures soon.

The news to report is the car did finally hit the dyno.

379/1000 made a mere 362 hp AWHP on a Mustang AWD dyno at Noribuilt on a blistering hot September afternoon. Meh...but wait....

It did this, at 19 pounds of boost, on the Ebay GT3582r Godspeed turbo, with an absolutely rock solid, no drop, never spiked, couldn't have bought a better, On3 Performance 44mm wastegate. The WG, awesome. The AGP kit the evo on the rollers before mine? Yeah, spike, drop, spike, drop, 21-17-20-16, etc etc. The On3 Performance gate I got off ebay for 170 bucks or so with every possible thing a gate could come with? 0-19----------------------------19

Notes about the dyno runs. I need a better fuel pump. The Wally just craps the bed at base pressures above 45 or so. The car has massive crank case pressure even with both the PCV and valve cover-to-intake hoses vented straight to atm. It is blowing oil out the front weep hole it is so bad. I may just vent the PCV but I need to get the oil back into the crank case. It's loosing a lot of oil.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time on the dyno. Not out of time, like my time was up, but I had to run home to give the wife a shot in the tookus. Chad and I agreed, given another hour, it easily would have went north of 400, possibly towards 425-430ish. We tuned for WOT afr's in the mid 11's, then started in with timing. No increase or decrease in timing as giving us much so we just started adding boost from the original 15 I had it set at. Ended at 19 then I had to hit the road. Zero knock. pulls from 2500-7700 in 4th every time, hot lapping on the dyno.

Good times.

/brox

broxma

And thus begins the end.

While no one is reading this anymore as it has grown to an absolutely horrible length, there is a fairly important update to 379.

After much internal debate I have determined that the condition of the chassis of the car is unable to be rectified. The frame is quite bent somewhere forward of the drivers compartment. It is impossible to dial in any sort of alignment of the wheels due to this, even with camber plates and camber bolts. The rust underneath the car is simply too great to be ignored at this point. Unfortunately the next phase of evolution for 379 would put it into the position of not being structurally sound enough to satisfy the requirement I have set for it. Had the car not suffered the majority of it's life and subsequent idle time in the harsh wilds of Ohio, I believe this story may have a different ending.

After the new year, 379 will be parted out, given a final goodbye and sent to its final resting place.

379/1000 - 1992-2012

/brox

G

Staff member
Rust > vr4.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned