The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The never ending build of 1062.

scooter

Mike made 1088 on 44lbs, and runs it up higher on the track. He's been an 8.80 @ 164 I think. Not sure on kevins power, but he's been 8.20s in the fwd, so id say its pretty high also. Probably a lil lower with the auto tho. Pretty sure kevin even runs the perma with regular arp studs also.

Galantvr41062

All my parts are on order and should be showing up over the next 2 weeks. Pending any major delays or if my 2012 minor updates get out of hand this might see some 60' testing before the MAP shootout at BIR.

I plan to have a chute, passenger door bar, full-length fire suit, new helmet, address the lack of exhaust and the many buzzes and rattles it makes driving down the road.

Galantvr41062

Picture_194.jpg

Picture_197.jpg

Thank you CP/Carrillo for looking over the old parts, and cutting up the new set of pistons for the year.

The new pistons have a little different out shape, to help piston stability, and they now have 6 gas ports for the top ring, and they added polishing to the final steps of machine work.

Picture_184.jpg

Picture_189.jpg

Picture_190.jpg

Picture_186.jpg

Picture_187.jpg

Picture_001.jpg

Picture_004.jpg

So a quick run down of the new parts for 2012:

MAP stage 5 head with SI 1mm over nitrite coated SS intake and exhaust valves, Crower springs and titanium retainers with new Ferrea locks, the retainers are 1/4 of the weight of the old chrome moly ones we had in the head the last few years.

We ended up with the Titan SCE copper gasket (not the ICS one, thank goodness), and the block is at MAP to get o ring groves cut into the deck surface. the head gasket will be coated with copper spray and torqued down with the new MAP ultimate duty L19 head studs. We also picked up all new timing belt components, and a Gates blue racing belt and will use the same Crower 288/288 cams and Crower cam gears as the last few years.

We also have a new set of Hoosier QTP's for the track this year, they are 26" x 9.5" x 15". From what I have read they are the C07 Hoosier compound, so a little harder then the full Hoosier slick option which uses the D06 compound and sized in at 26 x 8 x 15, which is section width vs tread width, both come in at a section width in the 9.5" range and tread width of 8".

I have read the QTP tires will be more consistent and last a little longer, and with no burn out put the car in the 1.5 60' range, and any one that knows silly 1/4 mile math.... I am just saying.

With the bigger tire diameter we gain 10% in each gear, which is good because on the record run last year the car crossed the line at BIR at almost 9800 rpm in 4th gear, so the new tires put the car at a top speed in 4th at about 175 mph (est for 2012), vs 162 mph (est for 2011).

So when we up the boost to 46-48psi and spray a 50-75 shot of nitrous, if the tranny holds at all, which the AEM will control and limit boost in 1st gear, we might see some series sh*t.

DSCN1498.jpg

DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

DSC04013.JPG

Here are some end of the year pics (2011) of the car driving down to the MAP fall dyno day, and driving up to Elk River for a car show at Broadway Bar and Grill. And prof that it did run and drive around, I estimate we ended up putting about 1500 miles on the car last year.

So believe it or not we do have more plans for the car in the works, this is not the end all goal, and part of me wishes it was the end all goal....

Where could one go from here.... well I will say a full round tube chassis, solid rear end, AWD, and retaining the Saloon theme are not out of my thoughts.

I am thinking late this year/next year the car will be 25.5 certified and have all the goods to push that chassis certification.

~John

PS for the ones that may not know, a 25.5 chassis in NHRA is good for a 7.50 ET@180mph.

And a quick thanks to all my sponsors, and there are a few new ones this year: Modern Automotive Performance, Josh with CTS tuning, Ryan, Kyle, CP Pistons, Carrillo rods, Karl Ramm, KRAMM-LOX, Paul, Chuck at HTM, Jacks Trans.

5OF2k

Wow. Just wow.

Good job going with the guys at Jack's as well. Definitely good guys at that shop, the whole lot of em!

Excited to see this thing going!

4orced4door

Just read through this entire thread. Seriously amazing work. I hate seeing the pictures of you buying engine and tranny internals over and over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I guess that's part of the cost of a setup like this.

MuffinMan7580

Quoting Galantvr41062:
I have had 2 permafails in my car.

That Perma-Torque has worked quite well in many 600+ HP cars (including testing done at Magnus). You should consider not using copper spray on it if you ever try it again. The black coating on it already acts as a sealant, so adding the copper spray acts like sticking glue to glue.

Last edited:

Galantvr41062

They were leaking between the layers, so copper spray had no effect.

And the HG's held fine till we tried to make more then 840 awhp, so yes they should work great for 600 whp setups.

Galantvr41062

Just a quick update, more to come this weekend.

I have a line on a brand new suit and a parachute setup from an old top alcohol team.

I drove the car early last week, we broke in the motor and changed the oil to red line 40wt race oil, and fixed a few minor things.

The tranny would not shift into 3/4 like it should and the wide band broke over the winter.

So off to MAP for a dyno session to see how the new parts are working.

First pull it made more boost then we thought it would, so we upped the boost cut and 2nd run made 613hp at 28psi, we added 1° of timing and made 620hp.

Then we tried upping the boost and ran into major traction issues.

The driver rear tire keeper spinning, registered 750@40psi, but I figure with no tire spin it will be about 850 @ 40-41psi. Which is the goal for PG. The AEM with control boost and have vss input for some traction control for 1st into 2nd gear.

Also with the QTP tires I hope if the tranny shifts right into 3/4 and makes the 850 it can I think this setup will run a high 8.

And a quick thanks to all my sponsors, and there are a few new ones this year: Modern Automotive Performance, Josh with CTS tuning, Ryan, Kyle, CP Pistons, Carrillo rods, Karl Ramm, KRAMM-LOX, Paul, Chuck at HTM, Jacks Trans.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

No passes? We are itching for news! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

OMFGeofffff

This weekend. MAPerformance Proving Grounds. Hope to see it fly down the track again this year.

Galantvr41062

Yes trying to get the car ready for proving grounds at BIR this weekend. I will update before I head up there and fill in after this weekend.

GSX_TC

Your car is the sh*t man, i would like to be able to ride in it and feel that power.

Gizmovr4

Quoting Galantvr41062:
Yes trying to get the car ready for proving grounds at BIR this weekend. I will update before I head up there and fill in after this weekend.

Awesome, good luck John. Hopefully the car runs well and we will see some 8s !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
Of the things you changed this year, I'm mostly interested to see how the head gasket works out. I used a copper gasket back in the 90s with a o-ringed block- the gasket held compression great, however when under boost and hi rpm there were issues with oil leaks and coolant leaks. Block is steel, head aluminum and gasket copper - three different metals that contract and expand at different rates.

I will check back here to see how your weekend goes - again good luck - give it hell!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Galantvr41062

Well PG did not go to plan, shifting issues left us with 60' testing, which only making 8 full passes on this new setup over 2 years, was not a bad idea to get this part working right.

So the new tires are the best thing ever, the car makes no low end torque, so having a little spin threw 1st gear is the goal.

The first test pass was a 1.59, great, a lot faster then the 1.75 for the record run last year.

Then some adjustments and ran a 1.52, getting to the magic 1.500 I was looking for.

Then everyone was like dam that thing spins a lot, so we tried lowering boost at the line and tire pressure, we found at 5psi of boost and 13psi tire pressure the car falls on it face, drops to 2,000rpm and runs like a 1.63 60'.

The car is back up and running, I want to get a few more tuning sessions in and get back to the track with full shifting capability, then get the 60' back to the 1.500 it can be, with 12-15psi of boost at the line and 12psi tire pressure.

Galantvr41062

I did drive the car to work and home, I have the tranny out again... I have all the parts needed on the way to make this thing shift at high RPM for another few runs at the track to get my goal. Also i wanted to hit the dyno 1 more time to see what 48psi does, then nitrous if all is good.

~John

Galantvr41062

Time for the small update.

The new 3/4 syncro set showed up and they are installed. The tranny shifts great at 10,000rpm and we are working out the tune with the 26" tall tire and shifting. The RPM drop per gear is a lot more then the last few years, but the traction and MPH per gear is well worth it.

My new math says the top speed in each gear at 9500rpm is this: 1st 54mph 2nd 80mph 3rd 126mph 4th 172mph

I have done a few pulls now and am back in sync with the car getting the 3/4 shifts clean.

We are going to the muscle car shoot out at BIR this coming weekend to see what this car does with a 1.5 60', clean shifts, and 41psi.

Also when we are at the track we will test and setup the NLTS, this will help with the new tires and traction, boost drops between gears, in the car its hard to tell, but the logs do not lie.

We are heading up to the All Mitsubishi Cook Out tomorrow then the track is next weekend.

~John

Galantvr41062

Getting loaded up in the AM. I will drive up after work tomorrow to BIR. Run threw tech Saturday am, then run 1 or 2 test passes 1st threw 3rd gear to confirm the 60' and the tune. Then I will be ready for a few good full passes and try to better my [email protected] from last year.

~John

cheekychimp

Quoting Galantvr41062:
As for the rest of the setup a dog box is not going to happen this year. But I will get slicks, cute, full fire suit, helmet, the new twin disk with spline drive disks, new head, new head and main studs, a back up tranny, new t belt stuff, a copper head gasket. Chassis will have a few updates, nothing major. And the plan is to work on the short track and get the 60' closer to the 1.4-1.5 range then go back to BIR and take another crack the ET record.

Pics of a cute John or it didn't happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned