The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The never ending build of 1062.

schwing. this is why i want to sell my powerstroke and put it into my car. it is far off from yours but with some love it can at least look good on a trailer. your car is teh sex0rz

Galantvr41062

Thanks guys. Some day it will have the bugs worked out, until then I will drive the car on the street some more and find a few spots to test launching the car. Then back to the track, I am thinking Rock Falls on a test and tune and make a run right after track prep, that is where I felt the most grip in the car at the track.

~John

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifsweet baby jesus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Galantvr41062

I just got home, and the car broke again, I have to take the tranny apart to confirm but I think it broke all the teeth off the center diff, or something with 3rd gear.

We lowered tire pressure to 22psi and I did a 1st gear burn out just like normal. Then lined up and slip launched from 6,000rpm. The track had plenty of bite, I slipped out the clutch and has soon as it set the rear end and started to make power I heard a loud snap/bang noise and the engine went straight to rev limiter. I think if the tranny did not break it would have run the 60' that I have been looking for. So far my best of a 1.735, but this lauch felt much faster. The car only made it 30' so no time slip was made.

So I stopped right away and tried 1st gear and nothing, so shut the car off and pushed it back to the pit.

We took the tranny out at the track and it seems to be the center diff gear is broken, so no power is going to the front diff or transfer case.

I will take the tranny apart tomorrow and come up with a parts list.

At least the car broke something it "should" have this time.

~John

GSX_TC

Sorry to hear that John, is there anyway to make the Center Diff Stronger so that way this doesnt happen again?

NateCrisman

Have you given any thought to an automatic? This car is completely off the chart with power and seems to be thus far "undriveable" with poor launches and breakage. I'd bet with a stock auto awd trans and a custom converter you would be running bottom 9's consistently, nailing 1.5's off the footbrake, and have 20X the amount of passes in the car and be that much farther ahead in chassis/engine setup & tuning. Plus you don't keep making wasted trips to the track for one half pass before the manual trans parts break. IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Since auto swapping my racecar, there is no turning back, I'll never use another stick DSM tranny again as the auto is that much better.

Galantvr41062

Dog box is about the only way to fix it. We knew we were at the limit of what a factory parts tranny could hold. So if its easy to fix I will get it back together and there is a big event up at BIR later this month.

~John

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Dogboxes are pretty sweet. They sound badass haha and you have to shift them hard all the time. You gonna get one from shep?

Galantvr41062

Canon_photos_0351.jpg

Canon_photos_037.jpg

Canon_photos_0381.jpg

So we did find a way to get a good launch out of the car, but as it came up on power there was no wheel spin, no hopping, I just heard a loud bang noise.

So that is a lot of damage in 30'. I need a new intermediate shaft, new Evo 3 3rd gear, and a center diff housing. Then a lot of clean up and put it back together. I have a center diff housing here, so I will order the other parts this week.

Now I will use this tranny until I can afford a Dog box, then use this one as a back up tranny. Or I might save my pennies and build another tranny as a back up, we will see.

~John

Galantvr41062

Quoting NateCrisman:
Have you given any thought to an automatic? This car is completely off the chart with power and seems to be thus far "undriveable" with poor launches and breakage. I'd bet with a stock auto awd trans and a custom converter you would be running bottom 9's consistently, nailing 1.5's off the footbrake, and have 20X the amount of passes in the car and be that much farther ahead in chassis/engine setup & tuning. Plus you don't keep making wasted trips to the track for one half pass before the manual trans parts break. IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Since auto swapping my racecar, there is no turning back, I'll never use another stick DSM tranny again as the auto is that much better.

As for tuning at the track it would be playing with 2 step setups, the car runs and drives great. I had 2 autos and I was thinking of swapping them in, but I think that takes away from what I want to do with the car. If I wanted to bracket race the car and try to win trophies then yes I would. But I still think there is something to be said about driving a M/T awd car fast at the track. We are just finding week links right now. I know based on logs the car will run a 9.7 or quicker with a 1.8 60'. Then if you take the 60' to a 1.6 that puts me right at a 9.3 or so.

The car is fun to drive on the street, and besides the fire last year has yet to break there. You hit this thing in 2nd gear, hold on and make sure you have enough straight road in front of you. It does not spin at all from a 50mph roll on the street.

The intermediate shaft and diff housing were used parts, so who knows if I put in new parts they might last longer, but I will make the car run again and try for some more passes at BIR later this month.

My plan now is for a dog box and use this tranny as a back up, or build another tranny so if it breaks, swap and fix as needed.

~John

Last edited:

GSX_TC

dog boxes are freakin expensive holy crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

NateCrisman

Looking at the effort and value of the rest of the build, I wouldn't think that a dogbox would be considered "out of budget". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If that's what it costs to make more than a couple runs per manual trans, so be it. IMHO when the 60' gets down to where it should be ( high 1.3's to mid 1.4's) for the power level, it's going to be breaking even quicker and more consistently. This car has mid 8 second power if it could effectively use it. I have to give it up for the 1062 builder, this man has some serious patience and some serious self restraint. I'd be pulling my hair out with that much power & breakage.

Last edited:

Galantvr41062

Right now a dog box is out of budget, at least a $6,000 dog box. I broke $400 in parts, and it will take a few weeks to get the car back on the road. But I only plan to have the fastest Galant in the 1/4 mile, that 1 time, then I will have fun driving everywhere but the track until someone goes faster then me. I am not looking for a "reliable" race car, at least at the track that is. The car has broken everything I never could think it could break, but this weekend it broke the tranny under power with what would have been a great 60', which we knew we were pushing what the tranny could handle last year.

I think if I put the tire pressure back up and flat spin to a 1.7 60' I do not think it would break a tranny for a long time. I also had another thought to limit the car to waist gate pressure in 1st gear, that would help the tranny off the line, only putting 500 some HP threw it.

I am going to fix this tranny, then either have a dog box lined up for later this season/next season or I will buy the parts to build a back up tranny, then run 1 until it breaks, then swap and buy the parts to fix what broke.

~John

NateCrisman

I would certainly pull some power out of first gear to make the car more manageable off the line and limit some stress on the driveline. It will likely end up faster that way anyway. More power than you can effectively use is more often a liability than a bonus.

GSX_TC

Dual stage boost controller FTW

Galantvr41062

It will be easier then that. I will run a T fitting off the compressor housing, and have 1 line go to the MBC and to the WG like normal, but the 2nd line will run to a normally closed electric valve then to another T fitting at the WG's. Then with a micro switch on the shifter base it will open that valve only when in 1st gear, thus running wg pressure. Which is about 28psi and 500 some AWHP.

~John

GSX_TC

Nice

NateCrisman

Quoting GalantVR41062:
It will be easier then that. I will run a T fitting off the compressor housing, and have 1 line go to the MBC and to the WG like normal, but the 2nd line will run to a normally closed electric valve then to another T fitting at the WG's. Then with a micro switch on the shifter base it will open that valve only when in 1st gear, thus running wg pressure. Which is about 28psi and 500 some AWHP.

~John

yeah, 500awhp...that's plenty of power to get a 1.4 to 1.5 short time and it should be WAY easier to drive as well as less stress on the drivetrain. Win/Win.

GSX_TC

Def gotta take pics man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts