The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

420 build

14u2nV

Ok, I'm done messing with my black one, now I'm gonna focus on the green. This thread will be my progress and discussion thread for it. If you guys were gonna build a galant from the ground up, with a medium budget in mind, what would you do? This will be a ground up build, if I have to spend extra on certain things like suspension, I will. I'm keeping my stock braking (Just got new calipers/slotted rotors) and the 17" 4-lugs I already have. I'm gonna try to keep AWS, but that depends on how it all looks when I pull it. Other than that, I'm gonna take the best suggestions.

Goal is a 300-400hp/tq car, to be a daily driver that I may race if I feel like it. I want it to sit an inch or so lower than stock, CF hood and trunk will be in the future. Blasting/painting will start tonight, Hopefully I can have the chassis prepped by next weekend. Suspension should be first. I want as much new as I can get, but don't really want to spend $1000 on suspension, so any suggestions are open.

Last edited:

14u2nV

This will be my pix post.

After drop off:

--------------------------------------------
10-18-08

-------------------------------------------

10-19-08

Last edited:

ktmrider

Non-ABS conversion and used coilovers ( pretty much the only way to go DD and sport ).
For later a "real" E3 turbo and housing, 2.5" TB exhaust ( with hi flo cat for us pseudo greenies ), maybe a stroker 4G63 depending on the race options, and subsequent mods to support the HP/use.
Great fun, much more interesting than sitting in front of the telly!

DailyDSM

As said above, I'd probably max out an Evo316G setup and put some money in the suspension. Anything past a 16G and you really start to spend a lot of extra money. Ask me how I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

14u2nV

Have all the non-abs parts already (on the black car, to be donated) I have a 3" megan downpipe, tubular o2 housing, so I'm good there. All of the interior from the black car will be transplanted. I'm gonna try to make/modify my own wiring, to get rid of the crap I won't use and simplifiy it. Already have clear corners, 93 h/l's, led bulbs all around, pretty much everything,, though I want to replace some of it. I'm gonna work on the undercarriage all weekend, try to get the driveshaft all freshened up, new axles where needed,, blast and paint everything,, I'm thinking neon green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I say you do everything in stages and take your time.
You'll have your work cut out for you if you decide on ripping out everything you don't need.
I plan on doing this on my colt come wintertime.
Stock motor,16g and supporting mods should satisfy your goals and keep the car reliable without going crazy.
I think one thing most people don't think of when building a car is the word clean.
Now that the car is pretty much bare make sure to clean her up good and keep her that way.
As far as suspension goes i think you shouldn't want or need full coilovers.
Just get yourself a set of kyb agx's with gc coilovers.
They are cheaper than D2's and Ksports and leave room for comfortable daily driving.

Send me a PM of what you may need before Tuesday.
I may be able to help you out.

14u2nV

Finally getting some work done. Been working on suspension parts, finally got some of the bushings, and the rest are supposed to be here tomorrow. It's been slow going since it got cold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14u2nV

Special Delivery:

This things gonna be solid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

Polish

Good luck with the bushings, it's not fun.

14u2nV

I've already got most of the old ones out, freezing the poly's makes it pretty easy to install. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Polish

Do work son, good job.

381gvr4

I love 420!! Happy to see her getting the royal treatment! Another saved from needless destruction.

14u2nV

So much for saving 420. The more into it I get, the more bad things I find. First off, this thing seems like it sat underwater for a while, rust was worse than anything I've seen, broke dozens of bolts/screws. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Now, look at the pix and see if you can find several things pushing me towards just scrapping the whole thing.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the supports by the rear tails were cut out, nor the whole section by the rear seatbelt. I planned on removing the rear seat supports, but they are so hacked I don't even want to mess with it. The framerail under the driver side is pushed up like it's been dropped on a curb or something. I'd say the driver floor is pushed up almost an inch in the center. It really sux cuz the body is really in good shape, but I'm not gonna mess with it anymore. I'm keeping what I want, and pitching the rest.

* If anyone wants parts off the chassis, to repair wreck damage or something, let me know. Also, if anyone wants the whole chassis for anything, you can have it.

I'll keep the chassis till spring, then it gets cut up and scrapped. I'm gonna get another roller to do my rebuild on.

jepherz

Staff member
That sucks kenny, sorry to hear that. I'd say to continue on, but I was recently in the same position as you and I know it's discouraging. If you have a tank, fuel pick up, or other parts off the car (not sure since you said "chassis") let me know. I'd like to replace them with good ones on my newer car.

14u2nV

well, considering even once I fix it all, I'm not sure if I can even get the title, it's not a hard decision to scrap it. Has to be inspectable before I can go to the HP and apply for a lost title/etc.

No gas tank, didn't come with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

**I may have changed my mind. The problems can be fixed, and it would be quicker than starting over,, dunno. Gonna talk to my dad about the issues and see what he thinks. He's the bodyman around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned