The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The never ending build of 1062.

Galantvr41062

Here is the after math of the fire.

P261010014.JPG

P261010018.JPG

P261010015.JPG

P261010017.JPG

The fire started around the starter in the main harness.

P271010013.JPG

Here is what was left that is still good.

P271010014.JPG

Here is all the stuff I had to cut out.

P271010008.JPG

P281010002.JPG

P281010001.JPG

P271010009.JPG

P271010006.JPG

The clean up process, sulfur and water do not make a good mix. I still have a lot of clean up to go, but that will take place over this winter.

P271010012.JPG

P271010011.JPG

P281010005.JPG

P281010006.JPG

P271010010.JPG

And the new stuff, I picked up a V2 AEM EMS. I remade the engine bay harness, and will be using the peak/hold injector drivers to run the 1600's as the primary injectors. Then over the winter I will go back to 1 fuel rail and buy some Injector Dynamics 2150's. I also made a gear/rpm/mph graph. Even though the splits look bad for 2nd/3rd the car has little to no lag between gears. I also picked up a wide band that will be wired in.

The car should be done and up at the cookout this weekend. Then its to the track to see what this car can do.

~John

mitsuturbo

I'm sorry for your loss. That's a ton of work you've got to do to get it back to race ready condition. What a colossal pain in the ass!

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see what this thing will do once you get it back together. I wish you the best of luck.

Yeah, that sucks. Was it a fuel leak or what? Like an injector o-ring or something? Bet a fire extinguisher finds a place in your car! Sweet build, sorry for your loss.

Galantvr41062

Its hard to say where or what started the fire. My first thoughts if it was a fuel fire the car would be a melted pile of stuff. All I smelled was electrical fire and when we pulled the hood of the only thing of fire was the main wiring harness, just burning away. It was not getting any bigger and was slow, so just plastic and wire insulation burning. The car was in an enclosed trailer over night and did leak some fuel, I guessed it was the #4 injector started to leak after the fire was put out. So I am moving the 1600's up to the factory location and going down to 1 fuel rail and the 4 injectors. I still plan for this thing to be at the cook out, see you saturday.

~John

ApexHunter

If i haven't said so already very impressive work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Anxiously awaiting video...

Galantvr41062

Thanks. Here is the up date:

I did not make it to the All Mitsu Cookout this weekend It came down my computers, lap top or desk top, not wanting to talk with the new EMS v2. But I now have that sorted out and the car ran tonight. I ended up making a fuel rail and moving the 1600's up top, so now I just need the ID for next year.

Here are some pics of the work done on the car post fire.

P291010005.JPG

P291010002.JPG

P291010004.JPG

P291010001.JPG

P291010008.JPG

P291010007.JPG

~John

Galantvr41062

I put 30 miles on the car yesterday. I have dyno time setup later this week and I do plan to go to Rock Falls sep 11th for some shake down runs.

~John

Galantvr41062

P30010012.JPG

P301010005.JPG

P301010008.JPG

I had to turn the boost controller up 1/4 turn to get it back to the boost it was running before. It looks like the clutch broke in a little sense the last dyno session. The car spools up about 400rpm sooner. The only things to changer were moving the 1600's to the stock location with a custom, but smaller fuel rail, the new AEM EMS, a green top CAS, and the new wiring harness. Other then that the plug gap was the same and the injector duty cycles are lower then before, but I did not want to push the setup any further until it hits the track.

I am heading to rock falls saturday, I am swapping the sticky tires on after work tomorrow and towing it out there.

I have good video of the car on the dyno, and I will be getting video at the track also. Then I just need to post it on Youtube.

~John

ApexHunter

Sweet jeebus that thing is a monster! Must be interesting on the street. Nice numbers for a dyno dynamics, that's got to be in the 850+ bhp neighborhood.

Galantvr41062

On the street before with the drag radials I did a few 2nd threw 4th runs. The car had plenty of traction, no lag between gears. It was very controllable, but you had to make sure there was enough room, because it eats it up what room you thought you had in a hurry. I will be trying a few launches tonight, if I have enough traction in 1st I should lay down a nice time.

~John

Galantvr41062

The car made it threw the shake down runs at Rock Falls. Due to towing issues I was late to the track but did get 2 runs in.

.069 away from the single digit club.

The first run I spun a little in 1st with a little wheel hop, 2.1 60', for the first launch with this setup I think it was ok. Then I shifted to 2nd gear at 9500rpm, and the car planted and just took off straight as an arrow, I nailed the 2/3 shift at 9500rpm and ran out 3rd before the 1/8th mile. I tapped the rev limiter before the 3/4 shift and drove it home, I had 1 hand on the wheel and the other was fist pumping with joy as I crossed the line at 9200rpm in 4th. Then the only scary part of running this fast at Rock Falls, I had to stop, in a hurry.

The 2nd run I was in the spectator lane, and they just finished track prep about 10 cars in front of me. I noticed a lot more traction in the burn out box. So I upped the launch rpm and did a little more clutch slip, 1.8 60' time, I short shifted into 2nd and then it did its thing just like the first run. And I may have lifted just a hair early to get slowed down.

The track official came over to have a talk at the end of the run, he started asking about all the safety stuff, neck brace, gloves, pants, shoes, certified chassis, etc. I said I just wanted to run fast enough first, and he said well you are fast enough, this is your one and only warning.

Then heading back to the pit the car just died, I think the aem dumped the tune and I forgot to make a copy, so I will get the tune from Shane and load it back in there.

If I can get the 60' down to a 1.4-1.5 that would put me in the mid to low 9s @148mph. For the shake down runs the car was amazing. I have video of the runs and I will try to get them up soon.

This was only the 2nd time I tried to launch the car. It is running E-85 and 38psi, the drag radials had 30psi all around. If we were able to get more runs we would have started to lower the tire pressure.

~John

Here is the time slip, my car number was 1219:
IMAG0103.jpg

Last edited:

brisvr4

Congrats!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
There are some seriously fast VR4's starting to come out of the woodwork now.
Makes me feel a little slow!

Galantvr41062

The AEM deal is just another fluke in this build. I forgot to make a copy of the tune, and I forgot to install the log software on my laptop, so I had no idea what the A/F, boost, knock count, anything was. But the car ran GREAT until it dumped the tune. I did get it to pop and sputter to life a little so I know its just the tune. At this point the track was done running the test day in 1/2 hour.

The next time at the strip I will have a 2 step and some kind of hand break setup. I will also lower the tire pressure and see if I can get the 60' down to a 1.4- 1.5 and take the record of fastest galant vr4.

I do have a local guy that wants to do a high rez photo shoot, what did you guys have in mind to get me a show case thread?

~John

JB

Siqqq mang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

AWDnoobie

If your going to a hand break setup, are you going to ditch the line lock or was that never installed? Great times btw

Galantvr41062

Right now I have no way to hold the car at the line, lucky for me the car did not move but I was not using a 2 step or anything. I am going to try and have a hand break before Cedar Falls. Then over winter there is a hand full of safety items to make the car legal to run this fast. I was not able to practice launching the car Friday night due to rain. I have a better idea of what I need to do after the 2 launches at the track. Cedar falls the 26th should be fun, as long as the track temps are not to cold.

~John

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned