The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bazeng Update - VR4 +T51R SPL. - start up and idle video with new cams.

bazeng

evo8ya:
Genuine Mitsu badges. A friend of mine works in spares. I'm trying to get my hands on a new AMG spark plug cover. I've just got to give him my VIN number.

redtwo:
yes, they lock up the passive arms with the 4ws. The 4ws rod has been removed.

bazeng

A quick update!

The VR4 has had a 5 stud conversion with EVO V rims.
Thanks to all those guys from this board for supplying the rear axel shaft and brake parts!

I've also done a bit more to the engine but that will be revealed once it is up and running.

Enjoy the pics!

Water pump setup

Twin BOV setup

5 lug rears

Power steering cooler + MOTEC Sports Dash Logger and MOTEC Shift Light Module

5 lug front conversion + vette brake upgrade

Polish

Looking good man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Getting closer.

curtis

Baller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

belize1334

So have you done away with the A2WIC entirely or are you gonna run it in series with the FMIC?

RedTwo

Bugger! You beat me to the first 5 stud vr4 in the southern hemisphere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Why those two BOVs? They look pretty small - do they have a combined greater area/cost than a huge Tial or similar?

This car will be awesome when it's done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bazeng

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

I have removed the W2A intercooler system completely and now run a FMIC in series with a DRY ICE / Air intercooler.
I chose to go 5 lug simply because I found difficulty sourcing 4stud rims to suit the big breaks.

As for the 2 bovs, I chose to go 2 because I am able to plumb them back if required (legal issues).
They are 38mm x2.

The aim is to keep the car a sleeper on the street.

But I think it'll be quite hard with the new wheels / brakes...

RedTwo

You could put the biggest t-wing in the world on the back, a dog eating turbo coming out of the bonnet and still no one will expect a mitsu-shitty to leave them in the dust.

Did Mitsubishi kill every second born child in Australia in 1992? Even though the R32 Skyline GT-R was so unstoppable it could still win races without getting on the track, the mitsi is the one so universally hated over there!

bazeng

21-10-09

Ok boys,
I got home from South Australia today and quickly said hi to the family and went straight to the VR4!

I've been hanging to fire it up with the adjusted config file for the Autronic SM4.

I ran over a few things, chucked the timing light on, checked a few settings on the SM4 and got the MRS to crank it over. The timing was slightly off which would have caused the problem so I adjusted it until the light saw what the SM4 was seeing. I plugged in the fuel pump fuses and told the MRS to crank again.... still not starting!!!

Hmmmmm.... I checked the CAS with the internal scope on the SM4 and it looked good... it was getting all the inputs that it should be getting... then I quickly remembered, the CAS might be off by 180 degrees!!!!

I quickly pulled the CAS off, spun the shaft 180 degrees out and reinstalled it.

I then pulled the fuses of the fuel pump and checked timing once again. Got it to 10deg btdc and locked it up. I then plugged the fuses back in and told the MRS to turn it over again... and guess what boys?!?!? ITS ALIVE!!!

My Long rod 2.4L (Self built with Springy Motors) is alive!
It sounds good, the exhaust is louder than I wanted but that is the last of my concerns right now. That is with the valve fully open anyway.

The engine is less noisy than my last build (thighter piston to bore). Seems to be revving quite effortlessly without load.
No oil leaks, no fuel leaks. Ballbearing turbo sounds nice after shutoff. Not as nice as my previous turbo imo.
There is one water leak at the thermostat housing (water temp sensor) I'll have to pull the sensor out, reseal and see how that should be ok.

There is no air idle control, I've yet to adjust the throttle stopper to keep the throttle slightly open for base idle. The Autronic SM4 works by using ignition to control idle which has to be tuned.

Check out the video fellas.

I'm done for today. Time to enjoy the arvo/night!
Might go see MJ's movie.. lol

I'll start on the Motec SDL tommorrow.
Finish off the drivetrain on Monday (fluids, trailing arm and rear brake shims)

Then hopefully get it on the ground on Tue and take her for a spin. Or I might give Dan from Springy Motors a call, get him to bring the o2 sensor over and he can tune it while driving and take it to the shop at the same time.

Last edited:

curtis

Need in car camera footage for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

JB

One of the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

Can't wait to this one on the road!!!

Polish

That thing sounds tough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

bazeng

1-11-09 - `7-11-09

VR4 Dash Install

Ok, I started the MOTEC DASH install.
Firstly, getting the loom organised.
I decided to log

SDL sensors
- oil pressure
- oil temp
- fuel pressure
- air temp after turbo
- air temp after front mount intercooler
- air temp after dry ice cooler
- exhaust gas pressure before turbo
- exhaust gas pressure after turbo

SM4 datastream - SDL input
- rpm
- ground speed
- voltage
- manifold absolute pressure
- manifold temp sensor
- engine water temp
- launch aim rpm
- boost aim setpoint
- ignition
- lambda
- + a bunch more

The tefzel wire is fantastic stuff. Very thin and easy to shape. I went through about 10 metres of heatshrink and this took me about 3 - 4 days on and off (a few hours a day after work)... Thanks to Springy Motors for providing me with the tools to terminate the connectors and also the materials...

Although I do alot of wiring for my fulltime job, Automotive and Telecommunications are quite different but I tried to apply some of my background in the vehicle.

The loom ready for work:
DSC02919.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

Oil pressure and Oil tempurature
DSC02954.jpg

Fuel pressure
DSC02953.jpg

Air temp before front mount intercooler IMG]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/bazeng/DSC02955800x600.jpg[/IMG]

Air temp after front mount intercooler
DSC02956800x600.jpg

Air temp after dry ice box
DSC02957800x600.jpg

New Electric water pump sensor in thermostat housing
DSC02980800x600.jpg

Engine coolant filter
DSC02982800x600.jpg

ECU / Fuses / Relays / CDI setup
DSC02947.jpg

SDL - SM4 datastream connection
DSC02985800x600.jpg

SDL working
DSC02971800x600.jpg

Variable LAUNCH Control via potentiometre / SM4 displayed on SDL (took alot of programming on the SM4 / SDL to get it to display on the unit but it finally works!!)

click

Exhaust gas pressure sensors yet to be purchased and installed.

Last edited:

bazeng

17-11-09

VR4 ready for tuning

I organised a tow truck to take the car to Springy Motors.
The VR4 does drive, but I didn't want to glaze the bores (running very rich)...

Off we go to Springy Motors!!

DSC03023.jpg

DSC03024.jpg

DSC03025.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts