The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bazeng Update - VR4 +T51R SPL. - start up and idle video with new cams.

bazeng

I've got a few new bits.

They include:

NEW mitsu rocker arms (not sure what specific year but they were from RALLIART)
NEW lifters (precision branded ones, they have the same hole size as the 3G stuff but are slightly taller)
NEW ralliart badge
NEW supervr4 badges
NEW innovate LC-1 wideband o2 sensor which I have wired into the AUTRONIC (works perfectly)
NEW knock link knock sensor

It's slowly getting there. Enjoy the pictures

Lifters x16 / Rockers x16 / Lifter tool

The VR4 and the AMG

All the new bits in the head (30 mins to change with the new tool)

Alloy 1/2 moon seal

Super VR4 badge and ralliart badge

New ralliart supplied rocker arm vs Original rocker arm

1G lifters (small hole) VS topline 3G lifter VS precision replacement lifter

bazeng

Here is a link of the vr4 on the dyno.

click

it made 410kw's at the wheels (550hp) on c16 and 37psi before splitting the #3 cylinder wall (was a sleeved cylinder).

It made 340kw's at the wheels (450hp) on pump fuel @ 30psi.

I'm gonna tear down the motor and build a 2.4L block with some new goodies.

BoostedAWD91

very nice build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif well done!!
I want one of those Super VR4 badges

CarRacer

That's a nice build. Lots of nice parts and good fitment.

I have a few questions. How long have you had the exhaust wrap on there? How well does the metal underneath hold up? In my experience it has accelerated the rusting of the metal you cover.

Did you use steel or aluminum for the rear/boot firewall? Aluminum might be a bad idea, for worst case reasons. God forbid, but if you had a fire back there, the aluminum would give off some noxious fumes.

bazeng

Quoting CarRacer:
That's a nice build. Lots of nice parts and good fitment.

I have a few questions. How long have you had the exhaust wrap on there? How well does the metal underneath hold up? In my experience it has accelerated the rusting of the metal you cover.

Did you use steel or aluminum for the rear/boot firewall? Aluminum might be a bad idea, for worst case reasons. God forbid, but if you had a fire back there, the aluminum would give off some noxious fumes.

The exhaust wrap has been there for about 6 months now.
The metal below has been ceramic coated, so that rust look has not yet taken affect..
I know what you mean though, I've seen many cars with that wrap killing the finish of the manifolds.
The manifold I have has a lifetime warranty and is made in AUSTRALIA, so if I do have any problems I will send it back. The guy who made it informed me that if it is coated, it should be ok to wrap.

The black graphite (black colour in the wrap) has faded since running the car. It is now pretty much white!.

I used alloy for the boot firewall. Priority for that firewall was to keep the smell/fumes out of the cabin. The fuel setup I have tends to let the fuel smell out. I can tell you that it is doing its job!, not so much smell (about 90% has gone). My next step is to wire up an electric 12v fan to the boot and wire it up to some small solar panel just to constantly vent the fumes out of the car.

Damn that's too bad.

Sleeved cylinder huh?

Do you somehow have a non-closed deck?

strokin4dr

That's what I have been wondering too ever since I first read it. I know it is popular with the alumium block crowd, but never heard of sleeving a 4G63. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bazeng

It was a bad decision.

The original block had a bad mark in it so we decided to sleeve it.

Only cylinder 3 was done and that was the cylinder that failed.

I didn't have another 2L block available at the time.

This time I'm making sure that the new block is perfect.

324vr4

Where does one find such a upper and lower timing belt cover?! I like the CF idea! your car reminds me of losing my virginity...AWESOME!!!! haha Good work man!

turbowop

I'm confused. Are you going to run both an air/air and an air/water intercooler? Isn't that big box an air/water intercooler?

bazeng

Some testing has shown about -50 at idle and under zero by the end of the track...

Massive power adder, not peak power adder but in regards to spooling and low to mid range increase...

GVR-4

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate the quality of the work you do. Please continue to keep us posted.

evo8ya

Lookin great! Where could I get the "super VR4" badges? Keep up the awesome work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned