The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The never ending build of 1062.

Tre3zy

damn that sucks.... well hope you can get the car back out there as soon a possible....

Terrance362

Dang man. I really like the car and your skills. I hate that happened to you. Second time is the charm. Cant' wait fot some updates

G

Staff member
Ouch. Stock bore size?

381gvr4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
My condolences.
So sorry for your loss.

My thoughts exactly! Epic Build will live again!!!!!!

Galantvr41062

No, I have 40 over wiseco 9.25:1 pistons. So the next block will be sonic tested and I will install hardened sleeves, and I will fill most of the water jacket with hard block. I will also pin the cylinder head in between the head stud holes, this is to help prevent a head gasket blow out at ludacris psi and cylinder pressure.

I am selling some of the parts I do not need to help fund the project. I will sell the tranny, fuel pump, injectors, and possibly the 2 AEM's I have. The goals are an Aeromotive Eliminator pump, ID 22000, dog box, and a Motec M400. I am also thinking of doing a 25.5 chassis over the winter, due to the fact this thing out traps the roll cage on pump gas....

~John

broxma

Given the immense expense thus far wouldn't it be prudent to just O-ring the deck and ditch the gasket?

It's an amazing build. Are you still using the journal bearing 42 or have you switched to the billet dual BB yet and what are the plans for that side of the house?

I thought my build was extensive but am humbled by the work put into this.

/brox

ApexHunter

Sorry to hear this news. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But hey, the plan for the new block seems like it will compliment this wonderful beast pretty well. It's gonna be game over after this next stage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Quoting GalantVR41062:
No, I have 40 over wiseco 9.25:1 pistons.

I sonic tested a 20 over block and was at 0.093 wall thickness on the pin side between cylinder 1 & 2. Between cylinder 2 & 3 i was at 0.104. Yikes! There is no way to tell if this block was on the thinner side to begin with, but I figure there's gotta be a little variance from block to block with any mass produced casting. In any case, if my results were accurate and your block started out as thin as mine, perhaps this was bound to happen eventually.

Galantvr41062

Core shift FTL. That makes perfect sense, I will let you know what the plasma cutter showes. There are a few people running the perma torque head gasket with a lot of success. But I do plan to push this to the limits next season. So I will be o ringing the block and will use a mitsu metal gasket like Brent Rau uses to hold in 1400+ crank HP. Here is a link to some parts I am selling off the car:

link

~John

Last edited:

broxma

Are the wiseco 9.25-1 pistons a custom job or are those commercially available? I have not been able to find a PN for any that compression.

Did the crack in the cylinder wall affect the pistons at all or did they survive? In the short term, have you considered the internal ringed gasket similar to what FFWD sells? Darren has a video on his site showing a car running 43pisi putting down 1800hp or so using the internal ringed gasket. I'll be using it once I switch to an all forged rotating assembly. They also sell a Titan full single piece copper gasket specific for the 4G with an o-ringed deck and head.

/brox

Galantvr41062

The pistons were on the shelf at a local supplier years ago. I found an old book with the part number and they show 9.0-9.2 pending deck height and gasket used. I will use the Perma Torque gasket, and as far as I know the piston should be fine, I will put a new set of rings in for sure.

Here is a link to the fastest pass at the track this year:

>>>> click

Last edited:

curtis

John something you might want to try is screw in freeze plugs. I picked up a set on ebay for like a buck a piece a few years ago and the tap at a local hardware store for like 25 or 30 dollars. Yea over kill but if your filling the block for strength the addition of screw in plugs are worth it.

ebay ad. I found may be more cheaper didn't look.

Galantvr41062

Canon_photos_32173.jpg

Canon_photos_32175.jpg

Canon_photos_32189.jpg

Here is the damage. It looks to me like some casting lines on the water jacket side of the #2 cylinder wall caused the crack. The cylinder wall measures about .175-.195". So with the 5" of un supported cylinder wall they were moving all over and the casting line made the cylinder wall a little thinner and had stress risers, thus the crack.

It looks like the #3 and #4 were doing the same thing. The pistons have cracks where the piston skirt blend into the wrist pin boss. The Rod bearings have seen better days, but they were standard Kings, I will be running ACL race series with a special coating with the new motor. The main bearings look great, and the oil pump/front cover is junk after 300miles.

It looks like I am getting air in the oil, so I will be doing some oil control around the crank and oil pan, and I will port the oil pressure releaf hole a little more.

Now I have the parts needed to put the hard block in, then I need to make a parts list then start machining.

~John

Galantvr41062

It looks like the piston cracking and cylinder wall cracking are not that un common...

click

I just re checked and my piston to wall clearance was .005-.006". I my build sheet on the motor, so I do not know the exact specs on the main or rod bearing clearance, but I would guess it was .0010-.0012", spec is .0008-.0020" on both.

Here are the pics of the cracks and bearings, the mains look good:

Canon_photos_33170_5_.jpg

Canon_photos_33174_9_.jpg

Canon_photos_33179_14_.jpg

Canon_photos_33180_15_.jpg

~John

Last edited:

bazeng

I actually had the exact same problem! Pistons were cracked in the same areas (wiseco). The block I used had a hair line crack in cylinder 2 or 3. It made approx 500 wheel hp when this happened. It too had 5 thou piston to bore......

Rausch

1062 = 1051 turned up to 11? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

This is one of the reasons we don't like to bore these blocks on a high hp application. .0020 over is OK but that's where we draw the line.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned