The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The never ending build of 1062.

AWDnoobie

Nice runs, so close to 9s. How many old school v8s you piss off?

NICE! Sounds vicious! Nice to see all that work pay off.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

Vids? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

steve

Thanks, my bad. Awesome!!!

AWDnoobie

Hey John how do you like the AEM ecu v2 over the v1? Any big differences or just a easier interface to work with? I have the v1 and probably be using it for a while also, just curious for down the road.

Galantvr41062

There was a rolling wow at the track after the first pass. I did get a lot of funny looks other wise and only 1 group of guys came up to talk about the car. I will get a photo shoot in before the winter, and I just need the cable for my video camera to post some more vids of the car.

If you have a V1 EMS and the car runs great, keep it that way. The V2 is so different in many little ways, and nothing converts over, so you need to re tune the car. If you are dead set on a P/H injector driver inside the ems then get the v2, but if you have or want the ID2000 or similar series injectors they are saturated anyways, so its a wash. Save your cash and keep the V1. As for the interface some of it is easier, I guess I just need more time to get used to it. Down load the new software and take a look.

~John

Last edited:

Galantvr41062

The issue was not the EMS dumping the tune, but the one issue I set on before leaving the track. The 1/4 coil is toast, its the electrical connections and the base started to arc out to the mounting bolt. So I now have 2 replacement coils and the car should be at Cedar Falls the 26th for some more track duty. I will be working on the launch for the first few runs, then its off to break the record.

~John

Galantvr41062

Well I was at Cedar Falls sunday, but I was not able to best my time from 2 weeks ago.

It all came down to track prep, I knew what RPM I need to launch at to get the 60' and 1/2 shift where they need to be to get the 9 second pass. But the track had no prep, so it just spun with a little wheel hop. Then I tried lowering the launch RPM and tire pressure, I ended up with a 1.73 60', but it did not shift into 2nd, so it was a bad run.

My last pass of the day I upped the boost a hair, cooled the W/A down, lowered the tire pressure again and ran another low 10. 10.11@149mph, I was 2mph slower in the 1/8 vs my Rock falls run, so the traction in 1st/into 2nd was not there.

I looked over the logs and I could see the lack of traction, but I was happy to see my shifts averaged a .250 seconds, and I nailed the shift points with in 100rpm of 9500rpm on each run, my last run it got up to 9500rpm in 4th, so I may need to up the rev limiter a hair.

The day was cut short again, the radiator started to leak, so I cut it off to fight another day.

~John

JB

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

IncorpoRatedX

sick car!! love the engine bay work.

Galantvr41062

This is one of many videos to come, the last dyno run of the night, from before. This is on E85 running 38psi with the AEM EMS V2 tuned by Shane @ DB Performance.

There are close up shots of the dyno charts posted in this build thread.

VIDEO HERE>> click

Last edited:

belize1334

So you're saying that with ambient water temperature (before adding ice) you were seeing 120F-130F while making 700 awhp? Is this a spearco 2-230 core that you're using?

Galantvr41062

I think this is the one I bought: click

On the dyno the highest the intake air temps were 120deg. If the IAT were around 100deg at the begging of the run they would end around 110. If we cooled the W/A down with ice and had the IAT start at 80deg they would end a little over 100deg. At the track the IAT was around 110 for all 3 runs.

After the last run of the day I noticed the coolant temps were hotter then normal, they stayed at 210 all the way back to the pits. We looked the car over and found a radiator leak, so the coolant system was not holding pressure thus the higher water temp. So we packed up and headed home.

I had a busy week at work and was un able to fix the radiator until saturday. So I fixed everything and got the car running, only to find it pressurizing the cooling system right away, and I was getting water in my oil. I pulled plugs to find the #2 plug was wet, and there was water in the cylinder. So I figured head gasket and pulled the head off Saturday night, it took about 1 1/2 hours only to find it was not the head gasket.

I had this sinking feeling after we pulled the head and saw nothing wrong with the cylinder head, or the gasket. Then I looked in the #2 cylinder to find the issue. There is a 3-4" long vertical crack in the cylinder wall, so my season is done for, and I do not know if I can have it up and running until late next season.

I will take the motor out this week and finish the tear down and come up with a game plan. Here are some pics.

P311010021.JPG

P311010022.JPG

P311010042.JPG

P311010043.JPG

P311010041.JPG

P311010025.JPG

~John

mitsuturbo

My condolences.
So sorry for your loss.

What may have been contributing factors leading to this untimely demise?

Galantvr41062

It had to be a bad block from the word go, I will tear into more and find out if it was a thin cylinder wall. I did not see any thing in the log, I did not feel anything during or after the run, it just happened that is all I know for now.

~John

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned