The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1517's thread ***More pics added 12/31***

GSNT

The vibration will eventually kill it too. I would drill and tap the banjo bolt at the top of the fuel filter, or they make a special banjo bolt with a NPT take off already in it.

Well she runs and drives! I drove it around the block a couple of times and took it to the gas station to fill it full of fresh premium. I've got a small vacuum leak to find near the fuel rail/ plenum area but otherwise she is leak free. For as far apart as I took this car I'm thrilled that everything worked out like it has. I spent most of the weekend cleaning and rearranging my garage because I got a new toolbox and since the car was able to move I was finally able to get everything out of the way to put the new toolbox in place. The toolbox fell in my lap because the cornwell dealer that lives across the street from me had to repossess it from another client, which means i got a screaming deal on it and i couldn't resist the urge to buy it. So i really didn't get very far on the car this weekend.

dewman

Glad you finally got her going,man. Nothing better than seeing all your work come back to life:) Which tool box did ya get? I know Cornwall is up there close to Snap-on pricewise for their boxes.

This thing is a giant. 84" long, 30" deep, chest high, with either 25 or 28 drawers, i cant remember. I'll have to count them in the morning. The original list price on it was $9,699.00 + tax. The box is only one year old, and in fantastic shape, and it only cost me $3,400.00 + tax. The dealer showed me his actual cost on the box and it is nearly double what i paid. And he said that the box is still valued at $8,200-8,600.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couple things to update I figured out that my fans are not coming on whenever the engine gets warm, which has me a little bit perplexed. If i ground the sensor wire for the "emergency" sensor on the back of the t-stat housing, the fans turn on immediately. Which tells me that the fans, relay, and power/ground wiring are all functioning normally. And the fan switch that is in the radiator came directly out of the old radiator (old setup), and the fans functioned properly before i took the car apart. My thinking is that if i jumper the connector to that switch the fans should come on right? Also, my vacuum leak is an injector seal at the manifold. I was going to swap fuel rails anyway, don't want to burn the car down if that gauge starts leaking, so thats no big deal. I've been taking a breather from the wrenching, i just needed to relax a bit, so thats really all i've got for now.

Edit: Duh, the injectors don't sit in the manifold. So i meant the head.

Last edited by a moderator:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I fixed the fan issue. Seems i had been running off of the switch on the t-stat housing all along. With this new engine i put in a DSM N/A t-stat housing. I left the "triple pressure switch(that's what the Chilton's manual calls it)" out when i swapped sensors because i planned on mounting a dash switch for manual fan activation. When i swapped to these fans a couple years ago, i removed the ballast box with the old fans and never reconnected the wires. But the fans worked, because that triple pressure switch was the one activating them. Now, the wires that did go to the ballast are connected to eachother, and the system is running off of the radiator mounted fan switch again.

Diego

Right on Justin!!

How does she feel.... superior differences I assume. Drop by when your free and let me drool for a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Edit:
Oh and in for some pictures my friend.

Last edited:

I really dont know how she runs yet. I haven't got the vacuum leak fixed yet, and there hasn't been time to get the alignment done or time to get on the dyno either. The car is still minus a hood, a fender, both headlights, a front bumper, and a grille, not to mention that the interior is in pieces still because console had to be removed to put the damn shift cables in. Plus I'm moving all of my gauges and my turbo timer to a new custom built gauge pod. There is still much to do until its ready for more pictures and until the car is ready for some abuse. But tell me Diego, did you get the pic that i texted you? I can say that power steering is nice to have back though.

Diego

I don't recall the text... maybe just send them to my email. Evodna91@gmail...

Diego.

Diego

Uploading pictures for Justin.... just to give the gazers some drool material....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Old motor setup...

Top Side of new motor....

Side view of motor... with an angled twist...

Filter side of motor...

Turbo anyone.....

Another view....

Can someone say HUGE tool box....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Diego

Ya know, I'm pretty jealous of this set up... When you get the bugs fixed or if your making a drop over this way with time to spare... Drop in and shoot the sh*t with me and help me with a damn water pump maintenancing..... and maybe some words on why I have a 1/8" gap by my ds headlight from a new fender install....

Diego

I will get at you as soon as possible Diego. I'm running on fumes lately, what with work , the toolbox changeover, working on the car, and other responsibilities of normal life. I think i need a vacation. I left the key in the run position since i fixed the fan issue, so the battery is super dead. I'm trying to bring it back to life, but i'm not sure it will come around. My battery charger has rejected it twice as a bad battery, so i may be looking at getting another Optima. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Diego

same type of thing killed my Red Top..... I love the batteries but sheesh could they get any more expensive... Im glad the price has come down some since I bought mine right when they came out years back for VERY shiny pennies.

Oh my. This car is stupid fast compared to what it was before. I spent nearly all weekend doing the tedious stuff (putting the interior back together, putting body parts back on, etc.) all in an effort to get the car out sunday night so i could attend one of the "unauthorized" car shows here in the Denver area. On the way down there i embarassed a Camaro that had a 2006 LS6 Corvette engine swapped in, which was fun, and my friend's fully built B16 Civic (which runs 17 lbs.) couldn't keep up with me, which is nice. I ran into George Billings at the show also, it's nice when you can finally put a face to the name. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted, knowing that it has finally gone out and ran and it seemed to love every minute of it.

Some other good things to mention: my Optima lived /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, the WOT air/fuel ratio registers 11.0:1, and i have yet to get a check engine light.

Some points of concern: the transmission makes a speed dependant clunk clunk clunk while moving in reverse only, but it is perfectly fine while moving forward and while shifting between gears. And i need to figure out why my boost controller isn't working. I had it turned off, which should cause it to allow the wastegate spring to be the only device controlling boost. The wastegate spring is supposed to be .7 bar (10.15 psi), but the car pulls all the way to 25 lbs. no problem.

I drove the car down to Colorado Springs so Jack could have a listen at my reverse noise in the transmission. He is confident that there is something wrong with the reverse idler gear. I have to say that he is a class act. He offered to keep the car, r+r the trans, fix the trans, and give it back all at no cost. I declined, however, as I would feel bad making him pull it when he never installed the trans in the first place. So he offered to build me an identical unit and I will do an exchange here in a couple weeks.

Catastrophic failure. Well maybe not catastrophic, but failure none-theless. Will update when more information comes available.

Diego

Glad you got it home last night. Once you figure it out give me a call to let me know what you found. It is the same thing I have a problem with.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned