The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1517's thread ***More pics added 12/31***

New found glory.

I pulled my cat back out...

And my car doesn't rattle anymore. What a good feeling. It seems so miniscule, the task of swapping a cat with a test pipe. But I didn't feel like doing it. Now that it is done, I am proud of driving my car again.

My crappy little S-10 rattles and shakes and is rusted to hell. I don't mind driving that though, because I don't look at my truck and see it as an extension of myself. It is just a truck.

My car, however, is an extension of myself. Years of hard work and re-work have gone into it. When someone says something bad about it, they might as well have been talking about me. That is how I take it. So that little rattle from the cat actually made me ashamed of my car, of myself. I didn't realize it until I took the cat out though. Once it was gone, my whole mood changed. Instead of thinking of selling it, I'm thinking about cams, and suspension, and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif paint?

I've never thought deeply about painting it, but I am now. It is weird.

And this car still gives me chills, butterflies, an adrenaline rush, whatever you want to call it. When she is up and running, full spool, clicking gears, and I know it is all because of me, my work, I am still amazed. When I got this car it was a couple weeks away from a trip to the scrapper. Now I have people that I respect telling me how good of a job I've done. And people I've never met flagging me down just to talk about and look at my car.

It is odd for me to deal with people who want to give me praise over my car. It doesn't have anything special done to it. In fact, there's many more cars here and elsewhere that are far more deserving of praise then mine. Mine is dented, scratched, has bad paint, and is currently two different colors. It would be three if I'd ever get my front bumper put back on. My seats are dried and cracked and coming apart at the seems. The carpet is stained and faded. I'm missing a bunch of little clips and fill panels in the interior. The vents have a bunch of broken fins. The rear defrost has never worked. The car leaks water in two different spots when it rains or when I wash it.

But it is mechanically sound. There isn't a single loose or worn out suspension part. The motor and trans are fresh. The rear is a 4-bolt. Everey little aspect of the "workings" of the car has been upgraded or inspected and deemed ok.

Is it possible for onlookers to recognize the effort put forth in a vehicle when the only things that have been upgraded aren't even visible without crawling underneath it? I don't know. I frequent a couple shows in the Denver area and I walk right by some fairly regular looking vehicles not ever knowing if they are actually stock or if they just appear that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyhow, I know that I love my car. Thats about it for my Thursday night ramble.

Oh, and I finally put a BOV on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

Quoting toybreaker:

I got all "diego" on it.

Yay, I became a euphemism!

I developed a coolant leak tonight. May have to rethink the water feed to the wastegate...

Got the coolant leak fixed, atleast for now...

When I fabbed up the feed line for the water cooling on my Tial MVS, I used a generic 40" long, 1/4" OD parts store brake line. It was too long of course, which I planned on, knowing that once I had it shaped correctly, I would simply cut of both ends and re-flare them with the right fittings in place. I chose the brake line because the best route to feed the wastegate was to go underneath the exhaust manifold, parallel to the block mounted factory water pipe. I wanted something sturdy so it wouldn't end up laying against the turbine housing or exhaust manifold, and I knew the steel line would be able to take the heat of that particular area of the engine compartment, especially considering that it would have coolant flowing through it.

Well all was fine and dandy until it snapped off the flare that I put on it at the t-stat side of the line. I'm wondering if the vibrations weakened it. It can't be a pressure thing, because brake systems endure much more than 16 lbs of pressure.

Anyhow, I'll be watchful of that line again, and if my new flare breaks, I'll go the spendy route and get some AN fittings and steel braided line.

Worked on the car some more last night. My neighbor picked a TIG welder a few weeks ago and he wanted to practice welding piping. We went ahead and eliminated two couplers out my piping so far, and will be eliminating another. We'll also be welding a block to the side of my filter to turbo pipe so that in can drill and tap some ports to run a higher flow vent system between the V/C and said pipe.

Also found out the the water feed line to my wastegate is definitely going to have to be replaced with something different.

Worked some more on the I/C piping. It actually worked out nice to eliminate two more couplers instead of just one more. Now comes the fun of polishing the entire piping system from from turbo to engine. That is going to take a full day at least.

I also took a trip down to the local big block speed shop (because they are the only people I know that keep these in stock) to get some -4 AN hardware to reconfigure my water feed to the wastegate. Haven't gotten around to assembling it yet, but I can't imagine that I'll have any more leaks from that line once I'm done.

Made my new water line tonight. I effing hate -4 AN, FYI. It seems like the smaller you go, the harder it is to assemble. But it looks clean, and it matches all of the rest of my AN perfectly. It would have really pissed me off if I would have had to use the red/blue fittings instead of the black/silver fittings.

I'm also seriously contemplating not polishing this damn IC piping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It'll look tits when it's done but it takes so long. Seems like more of a pain in the ass than its worth.

Also need to fix my pedal assembly. It is amazing how mis-informed I was into thinking mine was ok. I will be contacting SHEP for some pedal shaft bushings shortly and will weld it all together. Hopefully I will have finally licked the stupid engagement issues I've been dealing with for years.

Lots of little things have been happening to 1517 lately. I performed the DIY amber corner mod, polished all of my IC piping, made a hood latch support since the factory one was cut to accommodate my IC, and I went ahead and mounted up a PS cooler. I also relocated my remotely mounted oil pressure sender, plumbed new lines for the windshield washer nozzles, and I also ordered the replacement clutch pedal rod bushings. Once I have those, I'll weld that assembly up.

Finally put my bumper back on tonight. It totally changed the attitude of my car. My ride was so pissed off before, giant FMIC, no bumper, exposed piping and exposed oil cooler and exposed air filter (deisgned for a 7.3 powerstroke), and now it looks... self confident. It looks awesome really. Not to mention, I have driven it the last two days (it has been atleast a month) and when it walks out on dry pavement, it has given me a hard on.

Yeah, I said it.

What really has me going is that my mom could drive this beast. As long as she doesn't bury the throttle. Otherwise she'd end up peeing herself. Just saying.

a2vr4

Now all of this sounds good... how about some video! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
~Brian A. Moreno

The problem with video, is that I'll end up wrecking it because I'll be trying too hard to show off.

Diego

That's where I come into play as co-pilot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RedTwo

Quoting galant1517:
The problem with video, is that I'll end up wrecking it because I'll be trying too hard to show off.

But then you get lots more views on youtube /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Finally getting around to working on the pedal assembly. I have a spare assembly from 465/2000 that I installed the Shep bushings into, and then tig welded the arm in place. I still have to pull the one out of 1517, but I think that will be fairly simple.

I went to the junkyard this morning. (Pull 'N' Save, 33rd & Peoria for the locals) and there is some gold sitting out there. Saw a widebody Starquest (99% complete), an old turbo Datsun (280?, looked mechanically complete), an RX-7 Turbo II, a single turbo 300zx. I scored a black top CAS, a cam gear cover, and an intake mani with coil pack and PT. The best part is that didn't take a single tool with me.

Okayplayer

Sounds like some good hunting over there. I will have to check them out. I usually go to u pull and pay and it always seemed picked by the time I get to it.

All the posts that I read that say the pedal assembly comes out in about 45-60 minutes can kiss my ass. I hate my car right now.

Okayplayer

Perhaps a bigger hammer, establish dominance... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Diego

Just go all "Diego" on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well atleast I got it out. It is a good thing too, as I am going to get about an inch of pedal travel back with this other assembly. What a giant PITA though. Now tomorrow night is going to be filled with reinstallation, instead of enjoying a decent pedal feel. Plus, I need to change the oil and try out the black top CAS that I picked up. The plan for the intake manifold is to get it cleaned and surfaced, after which I'll drill and tap some extra ports into the plenum for boost reference. I need to fix my boost controller, and I think the problem is related to poor signal. That is a back burner project though because I also need to rebuild my TB (leaky shaft seals), and I think my best bet will be to order a 63mm one from www.throttlebodys.com, and I need more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned