The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TH3 Lazy arse Australian / New Zealand Picture build thread

bazeng

Great look there!!
Wheels suit the car perfectly!

Btw, how do you work on your car outside when its so bloody cold over there!!!
I was in Christchurch a few months back and it was freeeeezing!!

fuel

yeah well you guys call 20C freezing so meh :p we just aren't poofters who can't handle a little bit of cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

NZ VR4 RS

Quoting H05TYL:
Also failed at pressing the rubber bushes back into the rear struts - may have to look into a urethane replacement (or one that can be made to fit anyway) which I can't really afford - f***.

my bushes were stuffed on the jic coilovers in my car so i had to go custom, just get the steel insert and take in the shock bodies and they can spin some up no worries.
not cheap but what else can you do.

bush.JPG

Last edited:

NZ VR4 RS

put a new breather setup and some fidanzna camgers with 280 bc cams and springs in the car a while ago,arp head studs and a cometic headgasket plus with the link fitted now the afm is finally gone.
will be making up an intake pipe and cold air box with a bigger breather and overflow bottle for raditor soon.

camgears.JPG

engine1.JPG

engine2.JPG

head%20cams.JPG

head%20lift.JPG

Last edited:

NZ VR4 RS

while we are doing rims and offsets, had to fit some 15mm spacers on the front to clear the GTO brakes and put some 25mm on the back to even it up, plus getting some more track is a bonus..

lowfront2.JPG

lowbac2.JPG

lowfront.JPG

H05TYL

Quoting NZ VR4 RS:
Quoting H05TYL:
Also failed at pressing the rubber bushes back into the rear struts - may have to look into a urethane replacement (or one that can be made to fit anyway) which I can't really afford - f***.

my bushes were stuffed on the jic coilovers in my car so i had to go custom, just get the steel insert and take in the shock bodies and they can spin some up no worries.
not cheap but what else can you do.

bush.JPG

A mate of mine found some nolathane bushes that are exactly the right size for the stock shock mounts - they come as a pack of four though, so I have 2 spares.

part no 47198
click

H05TYL

Spent several nights working in the dark to get everything ready for a trackday the Saturday just gone - ended up having the raise the car quite alot to stop it rubbing (seems a jack under the wheel when the car is on stands will not approximate how it will sit once on the ground - also filling the "trunk" with tools/jack/jerry can will cause it to ride lower than it did on the test run.

After a huge amount of f*cking about with the ride height my g/f and I left for the ~400km (~250 miles) trip to the track hours later than planned, car ran really well with no leaks/smoke and minimal rattles, only minor tire rub on full lock and thanks to refitting the rear seat and adding a ball of steel wool the size of my head to the pipe through the muffler, without too much noise either.
About 3/4 of an hour into the trip a truck pulls out infront of us causing me to have to brake very hard to avoid it - after which the car feels sluggish and pulls to the left somewhat, I find a suitable place to stop and investigate and it's pretty quickly evident the left front caliper is stuck on! @$*%!

After letting it cool down I managed to limp it home stopping 3 or 4 times along the way to allow it to cool again.

So here's some pics of the car at an actual functional ride height - it still needs abit of tweaking as it's not quite even at all corners, but this is pretty much how it will stay until I get around to making some custom bits to correct the geometry and taking a hammer to the inside of the rear guards (where the top of the guard meets the outer skin).

2010_0809itsalive0004.jpg

2010_0809itsalive0006.jpg

2010_0809itsalive0010.jpg

2010_0809itsalive0011.jpg

2010_0809itsalive0013.jpg

2010_0809itsalive0014.jpg

2010_0809itsalive0019.jpg

I'll take some pics of the engine bay and my solution for plumbing the wastegate back into the exhaust when it stops raining.

Whoodoo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Looks really good, especially in black. I hope it was worth the trouble.

JB

H05TYL Car looks fantastic. Love the stance.

RedTwo

400ks? Where the heck was the track day? The moon?! Toupo? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Looks great. I still can't believe you can fit those wheels on the car. Makes me regret passing up the Advans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

H05TYL

Yeah Taupo, and I'm down near Wellington.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, makes me almost not want to set fire to it :p

H05TYL

Here's some pics of my solution to the problem of trying to get a pipe from the wastegate down past everything so I could plumb it back in.

I got a length of spiral stainless flexi tube (the sort of thing trucks use for the flex in their exhaust pipes, but much much smaller) that fitted tightly over the existing outlet pipe, it is clamped by a stainless t-bolt clamp at each end, and it's flexible nature allows it to easily thread it's way past everything. To make a hard pipe fit through here would've required at least 10 cut and welded joints.

It still comes really close to the oil filter, alternator, dipstick tube, and the intercooler hose, so I had to heat wrap it. Short spurts at full boost didn't seem to cause a problem, but whether this is sufficient to keep everything from being toasted under harsher use I don't really know. I think the alternator wiring will probably melt before anything else, so that should bring up a warning light before anything else dies. :lol:

I got the idea for this from an old car at a Car Museum, which had similar flexi tube with clamps at each end where the exhausts came out of the side of the engine cover and curved down under the running board.

2010_0810exhhausting0002.jpg

2010_0810exhhausting0007.jpg

2010_0810exhhausting0008.jpg

Also swapped a non-sticking caliper from my other vr4 today, seems to have cured the problem, though I really need to bleed the brakes properly as they are still abit spongy.

Dude how many sets did you buy idt i got that many brackets in my set

img.php

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

RedTwo

Interesting way of sorting out the wastegate!

I got a few sets - I'm make a VR4 people mover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Might have to do an update one of these days...

ozyvr4

Hi guys. I thought I would give an update on my machine.

I just recieved my new turbo ( Forced Performance FP3052 )
Tial MVR 44mm wastegate ( 20 psi spring)
Forced Performance 4" intake pipe
Forced Performance SS oil feed & filter , restrictor
Weapon R 4" filter
Stainless Steel 02 housing recirculated wastegate

I also recieved my 3.5 LSD 4 bolt. Just have to start fitting now. First I have to swap the centre to a housing with the provision for the power steering pump to keep the 4WS..

ozyvr4

I thought I would also post some details of another car I am doing this month. It started as a standard E38 RS VR4.

I am fitting an Evo 3 turbo, Evo 3 manifold, Evo 3 dump, 500 x 240 x 75 FMIC with 2.5" alloy piping, Walbro 255 pump, SARD AFPR, 660cc injectors, rechipped ecu, K-sport coilovers, Ingalls adjustable rear cambers arms, Gates Racing timing belt kit etc. etc.

A few pics

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned