The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil pressures down!!!!!! Finally

atc250r

Staff member
I installed the 1990 cooler and ported oil filter housing tonight and definitely noticed the difference. When cold it used to go over 100psi by 3000 rpm, now it gets to around 85 by then. Cruising on the highway at 3000 rpm is still around 60psi after putting a good 15 minutes on it to get it up to a consistent temp. I opened up the hole to about 1/8" from the dome of the plunger and went about 3/8" wide just for reference. No pics yet but when I take the front bumper off after the PA meet to do the IC piping short route, then I'll take some pics. I didn't have the camera at work so I couldn't take any, sorry.

John

hey guys, sorry for the dumb question, but isn't low oil pressure bad? it seems like higher would be better? or is it just if it gets too high? can someone explain this to me? thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

powerplay

Jeff, unusually high oil pressure can cause bearing damage. Read this thread, Click

bazeng

okay guys, i've been doing a bit of research and the high oil pressures, are they only a problem when balance shafts are removed?

i've asked several vr4 owners and they all get a max of 70psi at 7000rpm which is perfect!!
and a pressure of 15 psi at idle..

this seems dead right to me.. but these are all cars with balance shafts still installed

im just deciding if i should port mine out before i start up my car for the first time or if i should just leave it as is

the only difference i have is the balance shafts removal..
im assuming that this is what will increase the pressure dramatically...

thanks guys

powerplay

The higher oil pressure is created by bocking off the balance shaft oil passages. That is what I have learned form Chris Plesko and others. I believe if you remove the BS you should port the bypass exit hole to allow the oil to flow more easy back to the sump, otherwise I believe you will see 80-100 psi pressure as we have here.

G

Staff member
where are they tapping in to get these pressure readings ?
oil filter housing ? head ?

bazeng

can others with balance shafts removed confirm with the high oil pressure please?

if its a sure thing, i will have to pull it off the motor
and a quick question, to remove the oil filter housing, does the timing belt cover need to be removed?

G

Staff member
yes, i rebuilt the engine on one of my dsm's which i just sold & it has a stock oil pressure gauge. i removed the balance shafts & that sh*t was high ! almost pegged the gauge to the max.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
to remove the oil filter housing, does the timing belt cover need to be removed?

You can make a hole to access the bolt or you can take off the crank pulley and the 10mm bolts from the WP down. That gave me enough room to sneak it out.

John

CP

Here's Scott "helping fix the car."

bazeng

John

Quote:
You can make a hole to access the bolt or you can take off the crank pulley and the 10mm bolts from the WP down. That gave me enough room to sneak it out.

so you basically mean drill a hole so i can get the socket in to undo the bolt?

i've got a buschurracing pulley, pain in the ass to undo, got so many little bits..

make a hole as in drill into the cover?

theres no chance to hit any belts are there?

thanks

powerplay

Thank you Cy! I knew it would show up at some point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
However, check out my gloves and you will see I was not just standing around letting my son do all of the work.

We are taking our pressure reading from the same port as where the idiot light switch was previously installed on the filter housing.

CP

Eh...excuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

steve

FWIW, on my stock setup this is what I'm seeing with Mobil 1 (I think 10w30 but I'll check)

3rd 30mph 40psi
4th 40mph 40psi
5th 50mph 40psi

I had nothing to write on, so I can get some more data on my way home.

atc250r

Staff member
Steve,

Get us info like X psi at 3000 rpm.

John

Baz, if you remove your pulley and the bottom bolts on you timing cover you can pry it out enough to see the bolt that you have to undo to remove your filter housing. What I did is pry it out and take a drill and make a hole while the cover is being pried out. This way you have no way of hitting any of your timing belt. Then just remove that bolt and the others that hold the filter base onto the block and it should be in your hands. I hope this helps you, and the others.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I will be predrilling the front cover and putting in a rubber plug to access that bolt head when I assemble my new engine.

powerplay

When we did ours, as pictured above, we removed the Harmonic Balancer and bottom few bolts on the lower timing belt cover. For future access, it would make sense to do like Iceman said and drill the hole and put a plug in it. I hope we don't have to take ours off again anytime soon. The trip to NY Rally and back should be a good test!

steve

Will do.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned