The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil pressures down!!!!!! Finally

IncorpoRatedX

wow. Way to drag up an old thread..

Just thought i'd toss in some ideas and maybe get the brains working hard again.

What about the condition of the oil pump? If you've got a perfectly good pump with minimal to zero wear, i could understand it pushing a lot more pressure than an older worn out pump.

Another thing to thing about. The year change over. I think it was 92 when they started putting the angle cut oil pumps in 4g63's, all prior had straight cut teeth.

Please, share thoughts on these two topics as after reading this entire thread i've seen them mentioned no where.

IncorpoRatedX

hey, wake up everyone.

Wow. I never read this thread before now. At any rate, my new motor had plans for bs delete & ported housing. I guess the point of an older pump vs. a fresh/low mileage does make a difference & may explain (though John never mentioned having a new pump) the huge difference in pressure between different cars. Bottom line, if you delete the bs, then port housing. The end....

Terry Posten

I used a very little bit on the gasket between the housing and the oil cooler plate. Then used red loctite on the large hollow double ended bolt to keep it in the housing.

The oil filter just gets a little oil on the seal.

Vman911

I got 25 psi at idle. When under boost its up around 100. I'm running 10w/40 on a motor with less then 400 miles.
I did remove BS, And ported Filter housing. New front case also. Next thing to try and cut spring.

Last edited:

bazeng

FYI guys,

I have ported my housing slightly (very little) due to my oil pressures i believe were too low.
I was getting MAX 60psi at the housing.. and close to 15psi idle...

Now I measure at the head (grub screw removed from the head running @ the thermostat housing side of the head and I'm getting about 7psi of oil pressure from that point (warm) and 15psi cold... which is quite low at the head IMO...

so I suggest not to over port the housing as you could be running very low pressures at the head..

belize1334

Couldn't part of the variance that is being seen be due to standard deviation in gauge readings? Even within a given company, and assuming all well calibrated gauges, no two gauges are going to give EXACTLY the same reading. Then if you allow that not all gauges are well calibrated for the same company and not all people are running gauges by the same company, I would expect people to report significantly different pressures.

atc250r

Staff member
As long as you don't port it to the point that the valve cannot seal the port, it should have no effect on idle pressure or any pressure below what the valve pops open at.

John

grocery_getter

Some of the pressure numbers thrown in the thread is at 3000 and 4000rpm, why are we even talking about pressure at that low of rpm? Go take your car up to 7000rpm and see what your actual oil pressure at the oil filter housing is at that high rpm, if its anywhere near or over 100psi, take the oil filter housing out and port it.

And yes, if you put in a BS eliminator kit and didn't port your oil filter housing, you will need to do that. Speaking from experience, I've thrown in an eliminator kit on an older block with original oil pump and its oil pressure is maxing out a 100psi gauge at his 7500 rpm. You only need one time of oil pressure being way too high to wipe out your bearings. Obviously oil pressure go up the higher rpm you are at, so if you never visited the 6000rpm and above range it is probably ok for you but who build a 4G63 and drive around at 3-4000rpm all the time anyway?

bazeng

At idle I'm getting under 7psi of oil pressure at the head.

IMO the car spends more time at idle than it does at full revs.

I think we need to find a medium where the pressure is safe at both idle and high revs.

onesickcrx

So what are the draw back to haveing high oil pressure? I have seen motorcycles with 130psi around 3000rpm. So I doubt I will see oil filters explode. I am going too test how much pressure is needed to blow one apart in next week or two just because I read this in this discussion. What bearings are going to be hurt by too much pressure?

Rausch

^ Standard concerns are exploding oil filter, and popping out any pressed in oil gallery plugs....I'm not sure how too much pressure would effect the bearings though....Someone with more on the subject should be able to answer that one more specifically.

Edit: I think too much oil pressure would have pretty much the same effect as too little oil pressure on the bearings...Bad news....Seized engine, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
When Chris (Boostinhard) started this thread, he was blowing oil filter seals out, and IIRC, blew apart the outer layer of material on a set of bearings.

Brianawd

If you are seeing over 130psi then you have problems.

Terry Posten

Yep, What Brian said and Iceman said.

When you port the housing, you only effect pressure above 75psi (ish). You are only enlarging the pressure releaf output so that when your release valve pops, it can dump more volume faster so that your motor does not see much above.

It has been my findings that with 10-30 oil, you should have 7psi +/- 2 at idle and 80psi +/- 10 at 7000 (full temp). With 20/50, you should have 15psi +/- 2 at idle and still only have 80psi +/- 10 at 7000 (full temp).

That is with a fresh motor built at Class One. If you see more than 90 at full revs, your oil filter housing is not doing its job.

You can blow out the oil passages at the holes in the bearings. It will look like someone hacked away at the holes with a large drill bit. You can also blow out the rubber seal on the filter or cooler gasket (stock style).

natoe

could it blow the oil filter HOUSING filter? or would it just blow the oil filter gasket (filter side or housing side)?

theres oil everywhere and its hard to tell where its coming from.. i already ported the housing and put a new filter on and it was fine for a few days then started leaking again..

ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned