The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil pressures down!!!!!! Finally

atc250r

Staff member
I watched on my ride home tonight at found 70 psi at 3,000 RPM after about 15 minutes of driving with 10W30. I'm reading from where the stock idiot light sender was. I've got a new oil pump, BS Blocked, NO oil cooling set up, and about 20,000 on a fresh rebuild. Once I do the air cooled install this week (hopefully) I'll report back to you all with more info.

John

Last edited:

powerplay

Thanks John. I would expect yours to be a little higher than ours, since we went a little higher on exposing the plunger than you did. Ours is a solid 65 psi. We are also running an engine with 145K on it, so that could account for some difference also. I am still waiting to see what a stock engine generates under the same conditions just for a comparison. Optimally it would be nice to port just enough to bring it back to stock pressure readings.

atc250r

Staff member
I think you'd be VERY suprised how high the stock readings are. My buddy had a 2G Talon with about 70K on it and it would hit 100psi when cold with ease. Even at cruising speed it would see 60-80 psi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

John

G

Staff member
quick question doesn't it matter where you guys are tapping in to the oil system for your readings ?
& where are you tapping in for these readings ?

obviously if your reading from the head your going to be getting different results.

atc250r

Staff member
Good point. I am tapped where the stock idiot light sender went. I edited my message to include that important piece of info.

John

G

Staff member
is that the best place ? or the most convenient ?

atc250r

Staff member
I don't think that there's a "best" place but that one is pretty easy. The main thing IMHO is to grab it near the pump so you get the quickest reaction from the gauge if the pressure drops.

John

powerplay

John, that was my thought as well. I have read considerable debate on the placement and there is a school of thought to place the sending unit on the head near the turbo feed. I chose not to do that for the reason you already expressed. Mine is in the same location as yours.

Quote:
An old rule-of-thumb for minimum oil pressure is 10psi for every 1000 rpm. I can't say 100% that applies to our cars, but it has to be close.

i'm roughly double that. ~20psi at warm idle but at 3k cruising i'm at 60 psi. it kinda falls off farther up the rev band but i can still hit ~80 psi at red. FWIW, 185k, 90' oil cooler, 10-30 mobil 1

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
& where does mits take their reading from ?
when testing for oil pressure per the service manual.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I will be putting the gauge where the stock TEL gauge reading sensor was, in the oil passage from the pump to the filter in the 90 style housing.

CP

Hey Scott,

Did you mention WHY you think the sender broke (brass fitting)?

FWIW, I was in the car when this happened. The last two times I've been within 200ft of Powerplay's car, it breaks within the hour, so let's get together again soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

JB

quick question, do you have to prime for oil pressure if the car has not been started in 2 months and i am swapping the pan and return line? or can i just add fresh oil and start her up?

(sorry for the small thread jack)

atc250r

Staff member
It would be a good idea to at least pull the spark plugs, disconnect the MFI relay and crank the engine until you see some pressure.

John

powerplay

Yes, Cy, I admitted my stupidity/impatience in another thread. No, we won't be getting together again, as your presence has directly been involved in taking my car down twice now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

powerplay

Joe, when you drop the pan the pickup arm gets uncovered in oil. There is a very good chance the oil from the pump may drain back down from the pump. If air displaces the oil in the pickup/pump you will need to re-prime. Follow John's suggestion.

Which oil pressure gauges are you using? Would recommend? And want to avoid? I've heard some break easy because of the 100psi on start up.

I'm looking for an electrical gauge.

powerplay

Stewart Warner

I use these. I don't like AutoMeter gauges. It is just personal preference. Summit carries these if you are interested.

CP

I like and use VDO, which makes stock gauge clusters for many German auto manufacturers. Take a look at a recent Audi gauge cluster and you'll see "VDO" somewhere on it. I've specifically used their "Vision" series b/c it's clean, basic, easy to read at night, and not at all flashy. At low gauge light levels, this series of gauges matches our dash pretty well in green-mode. Granted the needle is red, but if you're anal about it I'm sure you could disassemble the gauge and paint the needle to match the orange ones in the dash.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned