The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Return Line Bolts Stripped Fixes?

turbowop

Quoting CarRacer:

This also gives me a great chance to replace the rear seal in the transfer case. The DS yoke was full of fluid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Make sure it's not the yoke itself. That's the part that gets replaced under the recall. The plug that keeps fluid from coming out the machining hole leaks. The new yoke doesn't leak.

If there wasn't any fluid getting flung under the car and the yoke just leaked some fluid when you pulled it out of the xfercase, that's normal. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:

CarRacer

There was a small consistent drip from the tail of the transfer case. Now I'm not so sure if it's the rear seal. I'll probably replace as cheap insurance and hope for the best.

turbowop

It could be the seal. Usually if the yoke is leaking, you'll see a drip forming on the u-joint and fluid flung onto the underbody from it spinning.

CarRacer

That's helpful and good news. The drips are forming on the tailshaft of the case itself. Sounds like the rear transfer case seal to me.

if you can use a 6 bolt pan, ive got one. 10 bucks plus shipping. Came off a 54k motor.

CarRacer

-10 line is a bitch to work with.

I got the bung (haha I said bung) welded into the pan and the pan installed. I made up a line with a straight and 45* fitting that kinked the line too much when installed. I tried two different lengths with no success, so I'm going to try a 90* fitting on Sunday.

I'm trying to keep the line away from the downpipe to limit heat transfer. I'm also going to steal some heat resistant sheathing from the shop to assist in the effort.

Does anyone have any pics of their braided line setups for a little guidance?

turbowop

I was gonna post a bpi8cure , but i'm hammred, sorry, i'll fuind it onint the mornnitn when im sovber, tanks.

i hasz a -10 an drain linge from my turob to my ioil pabn

+edot+ juesus f*** i'm druionk

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

This is my setup. It is -8 AN with straight swivel seal ends.

Quote:
I was gonna post a bpi8cure , but i'm hammred, sorry, i'll fuind it onint the mornnitn when im sovber, tanks.

i hasz a -10 an drain linge from my turob to my ioil pabn

+edot+ juesus f*** i'm druionk

Totally awesome spelling!
Mike R.
By the way, if you hold a hand over one eye the double vision goes away but of course it slows your typing.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif epiqqqq

CarRacer

Quoting GVR4_1057:
This is my setup. It is -8 AN with straight swivel seal ends.

What fitting did you end up using for the pan?

GVR4_1057

I welded on a steel -8 fitting and welded the bolt holes closed.

CarRacer

I did the same, utilizing -10 instead. I would have used -8, but all the turbo fittings I saw were -10. Are you running a MHI?

I don't think I can get away with two straight fittings. I might be able to sneak over there today to work on it. Thanks for the reply.

GVR4_1057

I have a FP3065. I made up the outlet by turning a steel -8 to NPT fitting to slip into the oil drain and made up a clamp to hold it on and used a copper crush washer to seal it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned