The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car caught on fire. Oil fire and HUGE slick

Brianawd

I was quoting marks post

turbowop

Quoting Brianawd:

How do you know you don't have excessively high oil pressure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif? You don't have a oil pressure gauge to tell you.

My oil pressure should be similar to stock. I never removed the front balance shaft, so the oil isn't completely blocked off there. That and an oil pump with 136k miles on it should mean pressure that isn't excessive, IMO.

Brianawd

Quote:
My oil pressure should be similar to stock. I never removed the front balance shaft, so the oil isn't completely blocked off there. That and an oil pump with 136k miles on it should mean pressure that isn't excessive, IMO.

Lots of people leave the front shaft in and and still end up having high oil pressure. Just a fyi

Well I am just going to have to buy lines and throw on my 90 OFH. I will port that beforehand. I'm still curious as to the difference between before and after the oil filter seal blew and why my pressure is doubled now. I considered the possiblity of the sender being rattled and now reading incorrectly, but the seal did indeed blow, so the high pressure is there.

turbowop

Quoting Brianawd:

Lots of people leave the front shaft in and and still end up having high oil pressure. Just a fyi

Meh, it's been like this since '04. I'm sure if I had any excess pressure issues, they would have popped up by now.
Maybe one day I'll install an oil pressure gauge in that car. I just don't feel like dropping the money on a matching Defi gauge and dealing with finding a place to put it.

I guess it's possible, but I don't really see how people could all of a sudden have a high oil pressure issue if they leave the front shaft in. By leaving it in it leaves an open path around the bearing for oil to flow, rather than completely blocking it off by rotating the bearing. The only difference is it's not spinning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

I would think that by the shaft not spinning, it wouldn't scrub off the excess oil flow as much. Im sure you might have oil pressure thats a little higher than normal but probably not as high as everyone else with complete BS removal.

mitsuturbo

I'd try pulling the relief valve out and just make sure it's not stuck before pulling the timing cover and whatnot. Who knows.. it could be coincidental that the plunger somehow got stuck when your problem occurred. That may be what CAUSED your problem. Excess OP because relief stuck, blew a gasket. At least you can get to the valve without pulling the cover and may be able to pull it, check it, clean it, and put it back together.

turbowop

I had to pull the OFH to get to the relief valve. It's been five years, but I'm pretty sure I tried to get to it without pulling everything, and it didn't work.

Last edited:

There's one bolt behind the cover you cant get to w/o taking it off. You can however pull the big bolt for the relief piston. I for one dont find it difficult to pull the timing cover.

I replaced the entire OFH because I didn't want a questionable relief valve plunger in there.

mitsuturbo

Quoting turbowop:
I had to pull the OFH to get to the relief valve. It's been five years, but I'm pretty sure I tried to get to it without pulling everything, and it didn't work.

The actual valve has a 21mm plug at the bottom of it, i believe. After removing it you can take out the spring and then the plunger. It's not relevant now since he's replaced the entire housing, i suppose.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned