The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo that lasted for only 5 passes/ #931's last hurrah

NateCrisman

So last saturday I went down to JMFabrications to do some major work on #931. Brent is a very good buddy of mine, he's the guy that makes the JMF intake manifolds, obviously an expert fabricator. So we spend about 16 hours saturday to sunday installing a 60-1 turbo, T3 tube header, fabricating an o2 housing, external mount, dumptube, as well as all new intercooler pipes and modifying the existing fmic core endtanks.

Last night I took the car over to Island dragway to make some passes hoping to hit 11's and maybe 120mph if the planets aligned. This was to be the last day with #931 for me, as Im going to take almost all of the mechanical parts out in order to rebuild a better GVR4 #139. Was really hoping to have the car go out with a bang.

Ended up making one semi decent pass: 12.30 @ 112.5 with a 1.73 60'. The other 4 passes were utter junk (13's @ 108 to 112). The car wouldn't spool up well, horrendously laggy between shifts. Even on a 6000rpm two step launch it would barely make a couple psi of boost. Barely any better than the car ran with a 16g at 23psi even though I was running upwards of 26-28 psi on this 60-1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Here's what I ended up with:
542332137_sXanT-X3.jpg

Notice the two cracked off blades. Grabbing the nut you can feel about 1/8" of in/out shaft play, the comp housing is full of oil, and the wheel has ground a big groove into the comp housing. Yeah, that explains the very poor performance. Guess Im going to hunt around for a 50trim t3t4 or something a bit smaller than the 60-1 to replace it.

The turbo and header came of GVR4 #828 that I parted out earlier this year. Sucks as this is about the 5th major thing that came off that car either broken or not what it was supposed to be. Oh well, buyer beware. Glad this turbo ended up failing on me instead of being sold in the partout and having a pissed of customer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyway, not what I was hoping for on #931's last day with me. sux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

So ah I hope you didn't get any chunks in the engine. Sorry to hear you didn't get to enjoy the 16 hours of labor.

NateCrisman

nah, I bet when I take it off, Ill find those two snapped off compressor blades sitting in the inlet endtank of the fmic.

And no, I surely did not get any enjoyment out of those 16 hours of labor, and about $1000 out of pocket for misc stuff (flanges, pipe, couplings, gaskets, hardware, tial wastegate). Ill just have to wait until #139 runs in order to have some fun with those parts I guess. going to be about 3-4 weeks I think.

thecman02

Nothing like going out with a *bang.* Just kidding that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully all your better luck will be saved for 139. I haven't heard people having to much luck with those 60-1's unless they were just all out drag, 40+ psi boost race fuel blah blah blah anti lag. That's just off of reading tooners though. That isn't first hand experience.

gtluke

they work well if you use a pair of them on a mustang, other than that they suck balls.
bad turbo = definitely part it out.

GVR4ZUM

"Glad this turbo ended up failing on me instead of being sold in the partout and having a pissed of customer."
This statement says a lot about you. Sorry to hear you didn't get what you were hoping for Nate. Hope you have a better luck on #139.

NateCrisman

Quoting gtluke:
they work well if you use a pair of them on a mustang, other than that they suck balls.
bad turbo = definitely part it out.

Remember, I went 11.0 @ 126 on that exact same turbo back in 2002 in a car maybe 150 lighter. It just wasn't impressive since the 50trim went just as fast on the exact same setup. Stock head/intake/cams. With poop vpc tune and no real wideband either.

No reason that turbo shouldn't have gone 120mph in my gvr4.

mitsuturbo

I had a Tnetics 60-1

That turbo is a f***ing colossal pile of sh*t. I've since heard from many others what crap they are.

I'm sorry to hear you found out the hard way, just like i did.

quasimondo

Imploding turbo ftl

Well, here's to better days with 139

curtis

Warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

The turbos you guys say are crap are still great turbos. Real problem is that they are not even close to being matched to the engine. In the real world a well setup 60 trim should get to low 11's if not 10's with a full car setup.
It's not all about slapping a semi turbo on a car and thinking it will run 9's. Not offense Nate, not meaning to attack you. You do good work. Don't worry I'm sure your chunks are stuck in the intercooler, probably in a spot you can't reach just cause.

I'll be watching for the new build. It's going to be a rocket.

Hksvr4

If you can, take the intercooler off and flush it with water. The 60 trim wheel is not the most effecient. The -1 helps alittle but you need a good breathing motor to run it well. I had a 60 trim on my car and it was surging every time I pushed it. In the end, it ate up the bearing, int. and ext. wheel, and compressor cover.

NateCrisman

Quoting prove_it:
The turbos you guys say are crap are still great turbos. Real problem is that they are not even close to being matched to the engine. In the real world a well setup 60 trim should get to low 11's if not 10's with a full car setup.
It's not all about slapping a semi turbo on a car and thinking it will run 9's. Not offense Nate, not meaning to attack you. You do good work. Don't worry I'm sure your chunks are stuck in the intercooler, probably in a spot you can't reach just cause.

I'll be watching for the new build. It's going to be a rocket.

Yeah, if I were choosing wheels/housings on a new turbo, I would for sure just be going with a 50 trm wheel in the normal E housing, stage3 T31 turbine wheel in a .63 housing. Simple, plenty to go mid 11's and about the best spool/power ratio in a cheap non BB turbo.

I wouldn't go out looking for a 60-1, that's for sure, but it's what I had laying around. I had no luck selling it for $500 with the header I figured might as well use it rather than it be a shelf ornament. Plus the 16g coming off the car would be an easy sell.

As I said before, I used a 50trim/stage 3 back in 2002 in a 1gdsm with pretty much all the same mods/stock motor. 11.0 @ 125. I swapped for a 60-1 compressor with S cover. It picked up about 2mph but no ET, due to between shift lag. I have experience with this turbo before.

I don't think a 60-1 is junk, it's not a wonder turbo, but it would get the job done. As I said before, no reason it shouldn't run 120mph in a GVR4 with my setup on a stock head/cam/intake.

Anyway, I pulled the ic off today. no sign of those compressor blades anywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Will flush the fmic before putting it back on 139. Pretty sure im going to pick up a cheap/generic 50trim stage 3 turbo. I know that is plenty big to achieve my 11sec pump goals and will spool up fine. It's a good comprimise.

prove_it

everybody has there own "dream turbo" we wish we had. If only we could use them........

Brianawd

I rate the 60-1 about the same as a t67. Both turbos have shitty transit response and a laggy as all hell. I played with a 60-1 for the better part of two years on my 1g and it never performed. I think the best trap I ever got was 115mph. I later went to a green and with just bolting on the green the car trap went up to 118. I never got to use the FP3052 on my talon. I think in a lighter car I could trap 135 on the FP3052

NateCrisman

Agreed, the 60-1 is just not an ideal choice now. It's laggy and you really need to keep the throttle down on shifts to make it work out well. BUT it should MPH better than a 50 trim regardless of the lag. I know on my own 1g it did on as best of a back to back test possible.

125mph on a 50 trim/stg3. Swapped in a 60-1/stg 3 in the same turbine housing a week later: 127mph.

What power it made over the E50 was lost in shift lag, but it did make more power. I would still choose a 50 over a 60-1 given the option, but it's not like a 60-1 is not capable of making some big power assuming it doesn't blow up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned