The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dragstrip results wed 05/06 with #931

NateCrisman

Fun night at Island dragway. wednesdays are $15 to run a street car and they serve free bbq food all night. Track was empty, every run I went right up to the line, I think one single run I had to stop and wait for a car or two. Made 6 runs, ate 2 cheeseburgers and a hotdog, salads, and free soda. $15 plus a gallon of racegas. What more can a man ask for?

Started sprinkling rain about 8:35, I just decided to pack it in as the traction would surely be worse. I just about got my headlight back in and pumpgas filled and they called it for the night. awesome.

Only changes from last time are that I set the base timing to 5* (it was about 3* before) and I removed the air filter and pass headlight.

So on to it:
[*]12.763 @ 107.41 1.830. 4600rpm = bog. last weeks tune, 21psi no knock. 7:10pm
[*]12.733 @ 108.98 1.891 4700 Spun w/ wheel hop. no datalog. boost shoulda been ~23
[*]12.647 @ 109.86 1.877 4700 bog but clean. 23psi.
[*]12.447 @ 110.29 1.761 5000rpm launch & 23.5 to 24.0 psi.
[*]12.350 @ 110.69 1.734 same everything, better launch at 5000rpm 7:50pm
[*]12.396 @ 110.59 1.762 same again, just a bit of spin in first. 8:22pm
[/list]
So, got this brick into the mid-low 12's with a better launch. Still not great 60' times, but they are solid for the tires and setup I guess. I think it just took me a little while to get used to an electronic vehicle speed activation vs a mechanical clutch switch coming off the launch rpm. The way it is now, the ecu comes off the 5000rpm limiter right away and tends to spin the tires easier, where the clutch switch setup that I used on aem and dsmchip ecu's would stay on the 5000rpm lmit until the clutch was all the way out which seems to be softer on the tires.

still must have a big boost leak or a weirdo boost controller as I couldn't get more than 23psi that would just touch 24.0 on the logger one or twice a run. E3-16g's should be able to do 27-29psi atleast for a midrange spike then fall off a bit. mine never makes it over 24.0 no mater what. I was too ***** to pull off the wastegate hose to really see though!

So, I guess I'm happy with that. May 16th the car is getting a 60-1 turbo, tube header, new ic pipes, so this was the last time out with the little turbo. Hopefully the next wednesday Island is open (may 20th), Ill get into the 11's with the big turbo and no boost leaks.

Last edited:

slobra

Nice times. I'm suprised your dragstrip was even open. It seems like they close Cecil County Dragway if rain is even in the forcast for wednesdays. Pretty amazing you got 5 runs in 40 minutes.

I'm hoping to be in the neighborhood of your times when I get my e316g installed.

curtis

Looks good... hopefully your turbo has the largest turbine wheel you can get it was a big improvement with my Garrett when I steped to a larger wheel and larger turbine hosuing. Best of luck next time out.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly the big turbos like them clutches for dinner.

3rdstrikedsm

Looks good, I would guess you are getting close to maxing the et with that trap mph.

Were you lifting on the shifts?

NateCrisman

Quoting curtis:
Looks good... hopefully your turbo has the largest turbine wheel you can get it was a big improvement with my Garrett when I steped to a larger wheel and larger turbine hosuing. Best of luck next time out.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly the big turbos like them clutches for dinner.

It's the turbo/manifold that came off #828 that I parted out this spring. Compressor is a 60-1 in the 4" inlet S housing. Turbine wheel is Stage 5 in a .63 5bolt T3 housing. Pretty sure it's ball bearing.

NateCrisman

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Looks good, I would guess you are getting close to maxing the et with that trap mph.

Were you lifting on the shifts?

Lifting on all the shifts, I really wasn't driving it that hard. Just trying to make clean runs with a decent 60'. Mostly I just need more launch traction, with better tires and a low 1.6 it could go about 12.1 to 12.2 at 110mph.

Last time out with the car a couple weeks ago, I couldn't get a 60' to save my life. Ended up with a 12.68 @ 110 along side a bunch of 12.9's ad 13.X's. I was smoking the tires and running 1.9's. So last night was a good improvement.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned