The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ridiculous Downpipe Q

BpuVR4

Ok, i can't believe i just noticed this a week ago. does this mean ive had the wrong downpipe this whole time? I thought the bolt broke, and upon closer peeking, shot these pics.

tombaman

I would have to say yes. Looks like those pipes might be two different sizes.

BpuVR4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

so embarrassed that i didn't catch it til now, not even funny.

G

Staff member
You bought the car like that? It's being held on by one bolt? What kind of puerto rican did you buy the car from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

BpuVR4

im ashamed to say i've had the car for a year and a half...and have no explanation why i didn't notice til now, and i look in that area all the time. but to answer your q...yes, i got the car this way because the exhaust is untouched. downpipe to a 3" one piece Thermal.

G

Staff member
Damn polocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

MellowVR4

So what downpipe is it then? I don't get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BpuVR4

I don't get it either...when i first saw the flange, i thought it was a gasket that broke and slid over to the side. i was obviously very wrong. will have to check it out this weekend.

coyotes

That's some quality fitment. you never noticed the sound from that? At least now you can get it fixed.

Curious to know what downpipe that is. I have a 3" tbe and it bolts to the stock o2 housing no problem. That looks like an aftermarket o2 housing though?

BpuVR4

didn't notice anything until a little while ago noisewise, thats when i started poking around at the exhaust cause it started sounding a little flat late. when it warms up it sounded nice and smooth. not sure about the o2 housing, will have to take another look next time i get to the car. obviously i barely drive it these days.

guess since im here...are the downpipes vr4 specific, or will 1g or 2gs work as well? have never had to buy exhaust pieces for these.

Last edited:

coyotes

You can use a 1g downpipe or just custom make your own, mine is a custom job but the whole exhaust was from a 1g.

turbowop

That looks like the type of downpipe they used to make to try and create a universal fit for those that have an Evo3 O2 housing or a regular O2 housing. They built it with a flange with slotted holes so that it would be easier to bolt up to the Evo3 unit which had a different angle. I don't think doing it like that was ever really "correct" though.

Year and a half without needing to remove the downpipe? That's pretty good. Most guys have the engine ripped out and the car sitting on jackstands by that point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

MellowVR4

That housing looks weird too me, I don't remember having the o2 bung soo close to the downpipe like that?!

strokin4dr

It's a 2g O2 housing. Sensor bung is lower.

prove_it

Looks like the DP was flanged for an evo3 O2 housing.

transparentdsm

Quoting MellowVR4:
That housing looks weird too me, I don't remember having the o2 bung soo close to the downpipe like that?!

i have one on my car and thats where the o2 sits.

BpuVR4

alright guys, maybe i overreacted a little bit. hows this look?

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Still wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned