The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Big Tranny Problem

GVR47111K

Tranny as in transmission, that is.

Here, help me out if you can.

I can shift ok while the car is off. Also, the slave is fresh. Also, there is a bolt that either connects the tranny to the engine or the tranny to the bellhousing that I believe is related to my dilema. I can't remember which it is but I'll get a pic later.

One more thing, anything wrong with these pics?

vtecds1

Timing belt is rubbing on something. Missing bolts on the valve cover.

dammitjim

Has your oil pan been off recently? Looks like you've got an oil pan bolt that is too long under the timing cover rubbing on the belt. The ones under the timing cover are shorter than the rest and are easy to mix up. Get that fixed before you throw the belt and bend valves.

holeshotmoe

++ on the too-long pan bolt. When I bought mine it had a 10mm wide groove in the belt. I replaced the bolt with a shorter one and drove another 20k before I got around to changing the belt.
Also, wonder if the rod on your clutch master cylinder is adjusted too far out, i.e., too long, so that when you depress the clutch full to the floor, the pressure plate is far beyond the point of disengagement. Is it possible to push the throwout bearing too far into the pressure plate? Could simply be the bearing too. Can you feel the pedal pulsing your foot in sync with the sound?

Last edited:

pauleyman

One possibility, you're missing the bolt that goes through the block to the tranny from the tcase side. With a stiff clutch the tranny will move away from the block. You can screw up all sorts of stuff this way. I only mention this because you did. Fix it. If you're missing the dust cover the tcase will actually rub on your flywheel. Fix it or risk breaking ears on the block, cracking the transmission, eating through tcase etc. Nothing like ruining your entire drivetrain over one bolt.

GVR47111K

^^So far this sounds like the culprit, as much as I don't want it to be. I'll get that picture and maybe a video tomorrow. Thanks guysth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pauleyman

Why wouldn't you want it to be the problem? It's the easiest to fix. 10 min and a new bolt.

GVR47111K

Because it mind have seriously f'd something up already.

GVR47111K

Well, it's that little guy there and it's stripped.

rdomeck

Will, That bolt would not be causing your problem. First off, either learn to video edit or take a video without all the bullshit it in. Like finding your keys in your pocket and getting in and out of the car or showing us your mileage. Not at all related to your problem and your asking for help so try to take up a little less of everyones time when your asking for something! That video could have been 20-30 seconds long not 2 minutes. Now that I'm done bitching...This sounds like a really bad throw out bearing or one that has been installed incorrectly. Can you give us some history....Is this a new problem on a driving car? Did you recently have the transmission out? Has it been sitting a while? Have you check to see that all 4 bolts are holding the transmission to the engine and that they are tight? 3 are easy to check, one requires you to pull the transfer case down to access it easily.

Help us help you!

GVR47111K

^^^Ok, I'll refrain from mucking up the board with unnecessary time wasting bullshit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I bought the car not knowing much about it other than what the previous owner told me, which wasn't much. I have not pulled the tranny on this car nor have I pulled the oil pan in regards to my t belt. When I test drove the car before buying it, it shifted fine save reverse. Reverse was tough to get to but still manageable. I was never able to shift into first gear unless the gear was almost completely stopped. Kinda like a dog box, no? The only tranny related work I've done is replace the slave cylinder. I should have done the master along with it, in retrospect. It has been sitting for a couple months but only because of this problem. I still start the car regularly to let the fluids move about and such. I have not checked to see if the 4 bolts holding the transmission to the engine are tight, but I will.

dammitjim

^ Since you don't have a maintenance history I'd put some fresh synthetic fluid in the transmission and see if that changes anything. That's cheap and easy.

Last edited:

biglady112

I would be happy to buy the car from you. I can get that thing up and running like it needs to be. Shoot me a price if you are willing to let it go and be rid of the headaches.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned