The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hello All

cspetros

Can you hear your ECU screaming in pain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Terry Posten will make it all better. He's like a shot of morphine, only it lasts longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

lol
Yeah i figure it will help.

But dont know why the ECU that i had repaired and socketed resulted in no change. Unfortunately due to weather, i was unable to get and readings of the MPI relay. No garage to work in.

-Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

1990ggsxnj

Quoting Kngnothg:
Quoting steveGLS:
Welcome. Where's your crown?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

Someone stole it!!!

-Rob

And it all crashes down. And it breaks your....ECU?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

UPDATE:
MPI Relay is functioning correctly. In order to get the car started you almost have to pump the gas pedal until the car will start. Once running, it will stay running. No check engine lights though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The car will stay running, however if you turn the car off, you have to go through the same process again.

anyone in the lynchburg/roanoke/danville area?

cspetros

Do you have a logger? What is the condition of your coolant temperature sensor?

Not at the moment, I am looking to get the cable so i can connect it to a palm.
The sensor appears to be new. I can only assume that its working because the gauge does work.

Appreciate the quick reply btw

Quoting cspetros:
Do you have a logger? What is the condition of your coolant temperature sensor?

Cspetros, I have looked into a few options for a logger. Since it seems that i will have to buy a cable for my palm then one for the diagnostic port for the car. What do you think of the Ostrich 2.0 ??? Seems to have a lot of good options, including the latter.

-Rob

cspetros

Quoting Kngnothg:
I can only assume that its working because the gauge does work.

The instrument panel gauge has it's own little connector on the thermostat housing, so it's independent of the coolant temp. sensor.

I'm not familiar with the Ostrich. If you're going that far, a popular tuning choice for these cars is DSMLink (now called ECMLink). But, the most basic tool is the simple Palm logger. They're cheap, and they can tell you what all of the important sensors are doing (or not doing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Look on ebay for a Palm and cable. I built a cable out of some old networking wire; it's not difficult, and it's even cheaper than buying one. See this page for cable instructions. You can get that resistor and diode from radioslack.

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Cspetros,
Im looking into building the connector. Any idea where i can locate the plug for the DSM Diagnostic port, rather than having the wires the way they are???

im looking to make these tiny boards to fit into the serial connector... might have to make a few of them. Having the dsm connector would make it PnP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
I have a couple of the dignostic plug port connectors. (They are used in hvac harness)

Pm me your shipping address, and I'll drop one in the mail.

cspetros

^^+1. Get one from toybreaker. The actual port connector is better any day over blade connectors. Kudos on deciding to build it yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting toybreaker:
I have a couple of the dignostic plug port connectors. (They are used in hvac harness)

Pm me your shipping address, and I'll drop one in the mail.

Toybreaker,

Wow, i really appreciate it! PM'd ya!

Quoting cspetros:
^^+1. Get one from toybreaker. The actual port connector is better any day over blade connectors. Kudos on deciding to build it yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

your not kidding, this is why i want to get this connector. I plan on making it look professional. Ill be sure to post pics.

Quoting keydiver:
As far as I know Ostrich 2.0 will not log DSM ECU's, only GM or something.

Thanks for the info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I do have one of your chips btw. Using it on my 1G /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Update: Rings need to be replaced. The compression was 110:100:105:90

Also made a datalog cable... half of it, waiting for the other half from toybreaker! (thanks again!)

Pics (not the best job, but it should work)

Going to cut the board with a dremel and then put in connector.

100_1922.jpg

100_1924.jpg

cspetros

That looks nice! Putting the board into the connector is a good idea. DIY FTW.

Last edited:

John (toybreaker)

I just received the package today! I really appreciate you sending me not only the Diagnostic port connector but also the other one as well.

The cable should be done tomorrow...ill have more pics. Now i just have to wait for the Tungsten E2 Serial cable to come in so i can read some valveable codes!

cut to fit db9 connector and finished diag connector

100_1974.jpg

Put hot glue on bottom and top of board...

100_1977.jpg

Finished Cable...

100_1978.jpg

toybreaker

iconoclast
That turned out nicely, well done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cspetros

You did make more than one so you can sell them, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Good job.

Quoting toybreaker:
That turned out nicely, well done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks to you!

Quoting cspetros:
You did make more than one so you can sell them, right? . Good job.

As soon as i can verify that the one i made works, ill be making another... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif why are u interested in one?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned