The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 Custom shift knob group buy 2?

Racah15

Hey guys, so I got an e-mail today saying thanks for that order! He hopes we are satisfied with our knobs and he's sorry he wasn't able to machine them out bigger to fit.

On a side note though, he says he's able to produce them faster, and has some ready to go, so if we wanted to place another custom order, it wouldn't take as long as this run did. Anywhere from 3weeks to a month or less! How ever long it takes to make the logo etc I guess.

So now that there will be (in the future) more of a convenience to having these made (and more organization for quicker shipping, especially on my end), I went back to see that quite a number of people wanted to get in the group buy and weren't able to.

Now remember, I said it would be a 1 time thing. That the select few who ordered, would be a select few to EVER receive a knob like that. Unique. The only thing left would be to do a certificate of authenticity, but that's over kill haha. But I'm putting it in your guy's hands now. You guys that bought some, you can post your opinion. You who want some, you can post your opinion. Would you want a second run?

Now here's my view that both of you guys could hopefully be happy with.
We can do a second group buy, but only available in one design (the basic design), with no number. Any LED you want, but you can only order one design and badgeless. This way, the select few that ordered will be able to still retain their unique knob, without sacrificing value or uniqueness, while the people from the second group buy and on will still be able to have a high quality, also unique knob.

So post your opinions guys. I'm leaving this up to you guys.

edit: there should be a poll.. weird

Last edited:

James

I was a supporter for round1 and wasn't able To get in due to lack of funds (common vr4 problem). I would surely support a second run.

I don't think previous buyers would care. We're not all nose up evo guys here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

strokin4dr

I would be interested to see what the three options were. I never paid much attention to the group buy thing the first time but might be interested in buying a new knob for my car. Post some pics.

slugsgomoo

Without the number, it's just an illuminated knob IMO. With it, it's something special. As it turns out, what difference does it make, unless someone orders the wrong number there's only going to be one per car number, so who cares?

Racah15

So for example, This would be the knob everyone would be able to buy.

galantfw.png

That is, if we go along with my previous idea.
I really don't mind doing another one, but quite frankly it's not up to me. I said I'd do only one, and I want to keep my word, but if everyone else wants one, then by permission of the owners, we could probably have another.

And I don't mind doing the 3 designs again, but it was sort of a pain. If we stick to this one example, it will be easier for everyone, including production time, and we keep the unique-ness that I promised to the previous owners. And I see what you mean slugsgomoo, but this was a unique thing, and I'm sure some people care about that. I mean if you shell out $71 for a knob that's a one time thing, buying something this unique, then it's not, some people would be disappointed. Now I know our board is more mature than others and may not care, but I respect everyones opinion, and quite frankly some MAY care. I do not know. That's why I wish more people would put their input.

GSX_TC

As somone who bought this same knob style, I posted this on FB and had a LOT of interest on it, in fact people from the philippines were even messaging me where to get one, I can help spread the word and get more people to buy these if you'd like?

Hi guys, I also bought one of these knobs (w/car number) and since Racah15 is asking for opinions I will offer mine; I completely agree on your recommendation Racah15 and quote:

"Now here's my view that both of you guys could hopefully be happy with.
We can do a second group buy, but only available in one design (the basic design), with no number. Any LED you want, but you can only order one design and badgeless. This way, the select few that ordered will be able to still retain their unique knob, without sacrificing value or uniqueness, while the people from the second group buy and on will still be able to have a high quality, also unique knob."

So I really think that is a more than fair option for both parties because after all one of the main purposes of this forum/community is to SHARE. Also that way Mr. Racah15 keeps up his word on the "1 time thing". Still we all have a UNIQUE limited production numbered specific vehicle so, why not share everything we can get to keep the glory, uniqueness and legacy of this GREAT vehicles ALIVE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif May I also suggest that the other members who already acquired the knobs post their personal opinions since this I posted is my own and not necessarily the others. Thanks and Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

KiNgMaRtY

Would they fit properly in round 2? I like that design without the boxed GVR-4 BUT would like the number on the bottom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James

I'm torn between wanting the number and not.

- yes on the number because it's makes it unique to the car

- no on the number so if I ever sell trade or get a new vr4 I can use the same knob

dustyduff

I'm interested in one, but I like the one with the box around the GalantVR4.org. If you decide to offer all 3 options again, I'm in.

Last edited:

InitialdVR4

Do a second run for the members. i'm sure none of us from the first batch are that worried about others having the knob.

slugsgomoo

Can I see a picture of one with the actual numbers on it as well, rather than the mockup? Went back and looked at the mockup, and I actually think the number-free version looks cleaner, and the numbers seem to be a little off.

Also kind of feeling like if I were to do it I don't need them anyway since having the number emblazoned on everything seems a bit overboard anyway.

That said, I have one of the few DSG type-2 knobs currently, so it's not as if my current setup is that much less rare (if at all) than the current first round of this groupbuy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Racah15

Shifter2_zps865e4f94.jpg

img.php

photo_zps9ca6ffe2.jpg

That's what we got so far in the pics section.
I typed in DSG type-2 knob in google and got this
pink-girl-car-accessories-Resin-font-b-gear-b-font-stick-font-b-knob-b-font.jpg

I guess that is rare, hahaha.

All jokes aside,

Mike, yes, if you would like to point them to this thread, that would be great.

King Marty: Probably not. I think this is as wide as he could make them. I can ask, but not 100% sure on that. Even so, it takes 2 minutes to modify (Took me like 10, because I didn't have the proper tools)

James: Correct, which is why I got a non-numbered version.

Dustystuff: I kept the box thing around for the limited edition version. The rest of the group buys from now on (if we have them) will probably not include the box. Again, I'm trying to get everyone to get the same style because ordering different styles is a hassle and may result in unwanted results/errors. Ordering 3 styles (Technically 19 different styles due to variation in "XXXX/XXXX")was a huge hassle and took quite a few co-ordinating e-mails to make sure everything was correct, which leads me to the following:

Platypus: These are not made w/o leather, and I won't be deviating from this design, again, if everyone wanted their own custom design, it would be a clust*r*f*c*, especially using google translator.

So guys, I really am leaning toward the simple design. It's actually really nice, and quite frankly, everyone will be happy since we can probably have the whole batch made and shipped in 3-4weeks, instead of the 2-3 months it took for the last run.

dustyduff

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I really wanted this one without car number..

img.php

You could just not do it for everyone and just do it for me...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

I want one, but I'm not going to spend 70 bucks on one if I don't get a number on mine. Otherwise it ends up looking more like an ebay rice buy to the uneducated souls that look at the car.

I think that the ones who have theirs installed should post real life pictures to help these decisions be made.

cheekychimp

I'm miles away, so I haven't received my knob yet. So no, I can't post pictures because I haven't installed it yet AND judging from my previous record, I'm guessing guys from the 2nd run of these will have their install pictures up before I do.

That aside, and for what it's worth, this is my take on this whole group buy effort.

Racah is NOT a vendor/manufacturer! He offered to do these as a favour to the board. Since he did that I have seen, read, heard nothing but whinging from all quarters like "Have these shipped yet?", "There's a lack of communication!", "I want this!", "I want that!" yada, yada, yada! Group buys are risky yes! Some of us have had our fingers burned yes. If you aren't willing to take the risk, don't get on the group buy. Some of you decided not too. That's cool (aka the conservative or safe decision). Now you've seen that the guy came through, a lot of you want back in! News flash guys ... too late!

Right, that said, I have a JDM car. I never ordered a knob with a S/N. I don't "get" the whole badge number thing. So to be honest, I really DO NOT care if Racah does a 2nd run of any design or does a completely new design or whatever. BUT if you want to treat him like a vendor/manufacturer, then at least do it consistently. Try going to HKS or BLITZ or GREDDY and getting them to do a re-run of a limited edition because "you just didn't have the funds last week" or "you aren't paying $XXX for one unless it has what you want on it!" There was more than adequate lead in on this group buy. The guy gave people dozens of opportunities to get in on this. People didn't "miss" getting in on this group buy, they either didn't bother or they weren't willing to take the plunge.

People make cool sh*t on this site all the time and when they do one offs everyone leaves comments like "Do you want to make another one? I'd pay you for it!" and then when they do make some more everyone says it's too much or they can buy an HKS one for that much. Well then buy a bloody HKS one and stop bitchin' about it.

You've heard what Racah has said. Putting together a whole load of designs was/is a pain in the ass and it takes up a load of time and effort in emails, shipping, PMs for which HE AIN'T GETTING PAID. I don't know if Racah is willing to post up his source for these but if he is, why don't you guys who aren't satisfied go order direct. I'm sure those guys will do any design you want, a one off that no-one else in the world has, FOR A PRICE!

Sorry for the rant. Racah mate, I don't mind really. If you want to do another run of any design, you will get ZERO complaints from me. But my advice since you probably won't get comments from everyone in the last group buy. Stay true to your word. Pick another NEW design different from the last run. That way the new guys get something unique, the previous guys retain something unique. If you want to mess about with more than one design, that's your choice but make sure you get compensated for your time and effort. You've come through on this, you've proved your mettle and you don't need to make your life a living hell to satisfy the discontented.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned