The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

custom shift knob groupbuy, anyone?

blacksheep

This is the thread that spawned the creation of this thread...

click

I was wondering how many would SERIOUSLY be interested in a custom shift knob for our cars? It would be weighted at 420gms or slightly more, I believe.

We have the option to have a custom logo on the top, possibly thinking something similar to below, but with a galant VR-4 logo from like the 91 galant VR4's? Open to ideas here...

RTM-SKMitsunTOP.jpg

We would need to provide the logo in .dxf or .igs format - If anyone can help with this, that would be great.

Options wise: They can be purchased with rubber grips or plain. Colors are not an option at this time. Pure stainless at this time. I assume you can get them powdercoated/anodized at your own cost etc..

I would need a count of those interested so I can get pricing etc...Let me know, please. Thanks!

JNR

If it were ~$50 or less, may be interested, but have a feeling it'll be far more (in that case I'd make my own) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good to see it's stainless steel (assuming 304) though, although without rubber on it, gonna get HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter (for you suckers that live in those areas), fwiw.

Would they have pricing w/o a logo?

BTW - an idea to save costs would be to have them just put a slight "counterbore" on the top and people could add their own graphics; think of those plastic round pieces that they often use on oem stuff, or centercaps on wheels, etc. I would *think* the logo would add $$, so why I bring this up as an option...Personally, I don't care for logos that aren't part of the car to begin with and there are already several places that show mitsu.

Last edited:

5OF2k

Dependant on price, I'd be interested. Im not into spending all that much though, honestly. A ballpark price would help, a lot...

-Jake

GSX_TC

I would be interested after seeing how one would look with a 91 VR4 badge style lettering on top of it.

desant78

price really matters if I'm in or not. Maybe make a deal with them like for 10 people its $$ and for 20 it's $$ and so on. With that I'll have an answer. Also where can I find a pic of the rubber option?

Also I can pump out anything in a .dxf if you need help, regardless if I'm down for the groupbuy.

Just PM me if you need help, good luck!

Last edited:

GSX_TC

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting desant78:
Also where can I find a pic of the rubber option?

Also I can pump out anything in a .dxf if you need help, regardless if I'm down for the groupbuy.

The rubber is an O-ring groove, maybe two, that you install - you guessed it - an o-ring into.
The car we stripped down had one of the o-ring ship knobs in it, just like you saw pictured, and it felt great.
If there is another option, I may have missed it, but as these are spun in a machine, a rubber overlay isn't likely happening.

Cheers desant78 for offering the OP with help on the file construction.

curtis

KC remember the gauge panels I use to do when I could walk in my shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I drew it from said badge and have it on the shop computer, so the logo design is done. You'll just need the shop to scale it down to fit.

blacksheep

Quoting raptorreed:
Where's the carbon fiber option? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CF would doom this effort and would mean I would run away with everyones money... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

blacksheep

Here is an updated email I got about cost...So, looking at about $65 for a custom version without grips...

The grip versions DO cost a little more, but we have no blanks left of the grip version. Those would definitely take a while. The others, depending on the complexity of the logo and the quantity ordered, should be somewhere around the same price as the engraved ones I offer now (around $65.). I am hoping that the “group discount” should cover the cost of programming and setup for the customization. The other thing, if there are a bunch going to the same place, some savings can be had on shipping them together.

Ziggy

blacksheep

Quoting desant78:
price really matters if I'm in or not. Maybe make a deal with them like for 10 people its $$ and for 20 it's $$ and so on. With that I'll have an answer. Also where can I find a pic of the rubber option?

So, what do you need from me to get the "galant VR-4" like on the dash plaque done up in a .dxf file?

blacksheep

Quoting curtis:
KC remember the gauge panels I use to do when I could walk in my shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I drew it from said badge and have it on the shop computer, so the logo design is done. You'll just need the shop to scale it down to fit.

Curtis - Can you email me this bro? I don't remember what it looks like...

curtis

blacksheep

Sweet - Do you have the "Galant" on your machine too? Can you send me the file, if so, Curtis, pretty please? Else, I can have desant maybe work on the file you send. Thanks!

desant78

Anyone know the font of "galant?" That would make life easier lol

JNR

I had the "Galant" and "VR-4" in AutoCAD (dwg) awhile back; I'll see if I can find it on my archives, fwiw. It was simple recreating it onto CAD though, so somebody competent should be able to reverse engineer it to scale onto the CPU.

blacksheep

Quoting desant78:
Anyone know the font of "galant?" That would make life easier lol

I asked Steve if he could get me a file from the people who made the fobs...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned