The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Would anyone be interested in a custom shift knob?

Racah15

Hey guys,
I'm having a custom shift knob made for my Galant and I figured I would ask you guys if you would like some too. I had one custom made for my Talon, and I really like the way it looks. They're made in Germany, and they also light up. They're semi weighted, so they aren't too heavy. Not like RTMs GVR4 knob.
Heres my 2g one:

0131131839a.jpg

tsiawdfw.png

Mine lights up red.
You can chose from several colors (Blue, red, green, white, yellow, orange). And several leather colors such as white, grey, dark grey, beige, java, red, blue, dark blue, black.

Mine will be White leather with Blue LED.

I'm going to be custom making a design. So far I have 2 ideas. Neither of them have the "Tach ring" Though.

First idea: Have this emblem where my current TSI AWD is:

128074-0-0-0.jpg

But instead of GVR4.org text, have the car number text. (In my case it would be 1407/2000)

Or just have the GVR4.org banner minus .org, So it would say GALANT VR-4 in the .org Font
galantvr4title_b.png

What do you guys think?
I know group buys don't work, but I thought I'd give this a try. Only thing that differs from other group buys is that you would have to pay in full upfront. I'm not ordering these and then having you back out. You guys can back out prior to ordering, but not after they are ordered. Price for now is about $71. That's just an estimate though. That includes shipping so it shouldn't deviate much more than that I hope.

I'll update this when I have the custom design made.

For reference, I like it better than RTM ones:
click

And they are about the same price. Cheaper actually after shipping. If the price stays the same.

Let me know what you guys think.

gtluke

already have the most appropriate GVR4 shift knob there is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
tumblr_mkj9llY4BO1qc0n0xo1_1280.jpg

James

I really like these as I stated in the other shift knob thread. For some reason I can't open that other link. What's the aprox price?

Racah15

@gtluke: Haha that is appropriate!

@James: Ah, I thought in the other thread, you were talking about the RTM one.
In my post it says about $71USD. But that might deviate depending on quantity ordered.

GSX_TC

Haha I spy an old pic of mine. took that one years ago when I got my first GalantVR4.org decal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Racah15

Haha yeah It probably is. I just found it searching google.

So.... Is ANYONE interested? Remember, the more the cheaper, and I need to get a rough estimate to my contact before he can give me a set price.

transparentdsm

Quoting gtluke:
already have the most appropriate GVR4 shift knob there is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
tumblr_mkj9llY4BO1qc0n0xo1_1280.jpg

haha love it, as does the awesome dog... my buddy has an australian sheep dog too(im assuming thats what your dog is) and he is awesome.

edit: im totally wrong on the dog breed, Australian cattledog i think, but he looks just like your dog.

Last edited:

James

Me. Lol.

JNR

I like the leather part of it, but not so sure about the logo/script/whatever you want to call it and don't see any point of lighting it up, although a neat idea I suppose for those into that sort of thing.

Just curious how you run the wiring though...is the shaft hollow or the boot touches right up to the knob so you don't see it. Imagine you hook it into your instrument lighting circuit?

While I like the look of metal knobs, the thought of trying to drive the car after it sitting in the 100+ F heat is not so appealing, lol. Partly why I like this one with the leather part of it and all.

Was tempted to make one on the lathe, but being I've never done custom leather I've not got past that part...could put a 'groove' on the knob for the thickness of the leather, but not confident enough to stitch it on there tight...that would be cool though!

Last edited:

Racah15

Alright we got James! Haha

JNR:
I actually don't even have mine wired up. It's just a "wow" factor when your friends hop in the car or your at a car show. I mean, it's not required for it to be lit up to be functional. The wire comes out of the bottom of the knob, but through the side, so it does not get squished when installing it into the shaft. I will post pictures of mine installed on my 2g when I get a chance. It's at the shop getting some framework done, so I don't have the car with me at the moment. That is why I chose these knobs, they look awesome (not ricey by any means) and they don't burn on hot summer days. I had a Razo knob my buddy gave me on my 1g, and that hurt to shift after work on hot days. I had to wear gloves. That would be sweet to make your own!

Here is what I mean guys. This is a prototype picture of what I'm getting. I might have it say "1407/2000" Though. I can't decide.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

desant78

^that is cool! Now you have my attention.

5OF2k

It'd be cool to have, but id want it to be heavy as hell and wont be wanting lights for it...?

-Jake

Racah15

Yeah I figured people would want to see what I'm offering before they decide if they want it or not.
Well Should I make a thread in the FS then? I got a few people interested but not enough to warrant a discount.

Edit: Jake: Just saw your post. You could always clip the wires at the base and fill it with concrete. Haha j/k

Last edited:

bobdole

I am interested. I like the idea.

I always wanted one with the car number on the top set in brass. But yep I would be down for one.

transparentdsm

Quoting 5OF2k:
It'd be cool to have, but id want it to be heavy as hell and wont be wanting lights for it...?

-Jake

im interested in it to, like this^

Racah15

It's semi weighted. Not light, but not heavy. I like it. It's perfect for me. And like I said previously, it doesn't have to be connected to work. You can still see the design with or without LEDs.

On another note, here's a new design:
What do you guys think? I think the 1407/2000 might be a little much. I think I like it w/o. But it makes it unique to the vehicle, so that would be awesome. You wouldn't be able to sell it though, which I like because I'm only making these once and never again. Buyers of these will be exclusives. I like unique stuff.

Of course, if people want them with the numbers, each individual would get their own number. Haha just to clear things up, not everyone will be rocking my number haha

Edit again:
Just as a cliff notes to new viewers of the Thread:

Design 1:
galantfw.png

Design 2:
galantfw2.png

Design 3:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts