The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My custom Delrin Shift knob and shifter extension

Ralli380Gvr4

So this was the best wedding present ever! A good friend of mine made this "prototype" set up for 380. You can't see it but it actually has 380/1000 inscribed around the base. Also a nice rally inspired shifter extension.

Let me know what you guys think?

I'll give you guys some details if anyone is interested in one for their Gvr4.
-Dimensions are similar to RallyArt knobs
-This shift knob is made of high quality Delrin (Temperature insensitive & soft to the touch)
-Shifter extension creates a closer "wheel to shifter action" (Mine is pictured with a short shifter from Curtis)

Again this is a prototype, he will be sending me a black and a gray one soon to test out...

PM me if interested. I can give you pricing and options. Shift pattern is standard but could be dressed up or down. If I get an "a lot" of interest (5+ orders) he said we can migrate this to the Gvr4 Marketplace, but until we cross that bridge...

prove_it

Not another shift knob group buy.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

ApexHunter

I like how the knob has the 380 inscription in an inconspicuous area. Nice little touch. I assume it's pretty light? How is the feel with that weight. Good to hear that it is coupled with a short shifter to try to get the ratio back.

The low rise shifter and knob looks lame in low console cars. I like the stock shifter in these cars (albeit with a shortened ratio). I had a 1g shifter in my car, and ended up buying a stock shifter to get the knob a little closer. Works better for driving. Maybe not as cool looking for some.

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting ApexHunter:
I like how the knob has the 380 inscription in an inconspicuous area. Nice little touch. I assume it's pretty light? How is the feel with that weight. Good to hear that it is coupled with a short shifter to try to get the ratio back.

The low rise shifter and knob looks lame in low console cars. I like the stock shifter in these cars (albeit with a shortened ratio). I had a 1g shifter in my car, and ended up buying a stock shifter to get the knob a little closer. Works better for driving. Maybe not as cool looking for some.

Thanks man
-Yes the weight is great. Pretty light but not to light.
-The extension creates a natural wheel to shifter action

Again this mod is not for everyone. This shift knob replaced a Greddy counterweight shift knob that was giving me problems during redline shifts. I knew it was way to heavy in tandem with the short shifter (not just a 1g shifter but similar to JNZ shifter made by Curtis) so I worked out this solution with my engineering friend. Think about a breaker/cheater bar effect. This creates a much better shift and solved my problem. Plus the Greddy unit is solid steel and would get super hot and super cold, as 380 is my daily driver.

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting 89Patches:
I just want the extension piece, Lol

Shoot me a PM.

89Patches

Here's the "shifter" setup in #19. Raised the based 1.5" or 2" used a 1G lever. Sits right about where stock would have sat but with much less throw. I plan to eventually get a JNZ or EH short "shifter" too. Did this in my Mr2 as well and it works very well.

Ralli380Gvr4

That's a cool mod.I never thought of that.

BluFalcon

Any issues with the shifter base shifting or flexing during use? That's a pretty cool idea, but those standoffs for the shifter base look to be a bit too narrow to keep it from moving around during spirited driving/shifting.

Last edited:

89Patches

Probably have 20k miles on it now and plenty of lapping days. I haven't had any problems with this setup to date. Also did it to my Mr2 which has never seen the road since I have owned it (Only track days) and haven't had any problems with it flexing either.

gtluke

I did something similar. I just used a bent piece of steel stock to do it though. It's way more sturdy than it looks. I got the whole thing BARELY inside the stock shifter boot, mine is way higher though, probably like 4"
I love this mod.
DSC_8792-X3.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned