The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSG Time Attack VR4 build *Tons of Pics**

Myles

Quote:
Looks good Nick. I like the hood vents.

+1 I really like how they're recessed into the hood. What did you use and how did you do it?

Thanks Ahead

And sorry If I'm thread jacking

464/2K

they look like HVAC vents from home depot.

You guys are right. They are HVAC registers from Home Depot. I paid about $10 for both of them. I measured the hood from the middle to each edge. And then from the bottom up. They are pretty well centered, and the angles are also pretty even. I just took the angle grinder to the skeletal underside of the hood, and then marked off where I was going to cut the squares out. The hardest part was removing and installing the hood alone.

CP

I think that may be my 4th of July project for the day...gonna use it as an excuse to buy an angle grinder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Did you use a pop-riveter that's hand powered?

thing is really coming along. looking great. kind of liked the beat up look, but that is just me.
+1 on the vents, great idea..
goodluck!

So as it has been mentioned in a couple of the road racing threads that I spun a bearing at NHIS on 7/7/07.

I pulled the motor yesterday, and just got through pulling most of the motor apart just now. I havent pulled the crank out yet, but Ive got the head off and the oil pan off.

Carnage pics:

DSC00181.jpg

Some nice bearing material all over the oil pick up.

DSC00179.jpg

A nice little pile of gold. Gee, dont I feel lucky.

DSC00182.jpg

There is a really strong magnet right next to the oil drain. This explains why there wasnt more metallic substance in the oil when I drained it. If you look closely you can see a nut in that pile.

But where did it come from? And where is the bolt?

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

There's the bolt! It appears one of the conrod bolts came loose, and somehow un-splined itself from the rod.

DSC00187.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

Some nice little oily cornflakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

Doh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif The car didn't sound so hot after this initially happened, but Nick was still able to drive it up on to the trailer for the ride home. Bummer dude. Good luck with the repair. Time to start whoring yourself out in Boston so that you can afford to properly build up that bottom end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After I got the crank out I discovered the true damage.

DSC00188.jpg

The conrod bolt hit the oil squiter a efw times.

DSC00189.jpg

Cyl 1 rod, minus one bolt

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

Cyl 1 rod journal

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

Cyl 3 showed some damage too.

There is a little bit of scoring on the front main area, Im going to take the block to the machine shop today and see if it can be salvaged.

Thanks for editing my most Minjin.

Unfortunately I cant afford a stroker kit right now. But luckily for me Alex had another crank for me to use. I dropped the block off at the machine shop earlier to day and hopefully I'll get the good news that it can be salvaged. (There was some scoring done to the 1st main cap too). My Arias pistons and Scat rods should be in the mail right now, and a bunch of my mitsu oem parts arrived today. (IE, oil pump, oil filter housing, etc.)

Hopefully I can have her race ready by 8/20, the next event.

cheekychimp

Nick, it was inevitable! Everyone surnamed Grabau has to have at least one major engine failure before they become truly competitive. Ask Alex about RB26 rev limits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

This is my second actually. I melted a piston in my Prelude motor last november at Lime Rock CT in my Accord.

I'll have to have Al tell me about the RB, I dont think I've heard this story. . .

Bimmubishi

LOL Paul. I've now had 3 major engine failures to my name. 2 have been 4g63, then the Nissan episode. ....learning the hard way I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CP

At least you've been having FUN when they've all blown, instead of driving to get your wife/gf a fresh box of Tampax at the local CVS.

JB

^that right there could push a man over the edge.

Bimmubishi

I did have a timing belt break on me right as I was passing my ex girlfriend who was running with her friends. I passed, waved and then the car shut down. This was on a back road so there was no escaping the embarrassment.

Nick's rods and pistons should be at the shop tomorrow. It's exciting to build engines. This was a JDM crate motor. I've never seen a failure like this before.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned