The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSG Time Attack VR4 build *Tons of Pics**

Bimmubishi

Crankwalk, are you using water injection?

Can you post a graph?

What were your AFRs and finally where you in 2wd or 4wd?

Stock Evo 8 make about 230whp.

rheckert

Quote:
^Huh? Precisely? Purposefully? I'm confused.

Are you saying that the dyno reads low because stock evos/stis make around 230/240? That makes sense then.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I was up late and up early to go to a swap meet. I should have also taken the time to use spell check.

Quote:
Crankwalk, are you using water injection?

Can you post a graph?

What were your AFRs and finally where you in 2wd or 4wd?

Stock Evo 8 make about 230whp.

4wd, 93/110 octane mix, bosch 044 in tank, b16g at 22psi, big fmic, cams, bolt ons etc etc.

11.5 af/r then 12 up top 307 awhp, 290 tq.

I'm at work but I guess I could post a graph if my scanner worked.

All dynos are different I guess. I also made 290 whp on 440ccs(IDC was higher, like 90 something) in my 240 a couple years ago. Granted its 2wd but still its decent power from the stock jdm s14 sr injectors.

I'm just saying I would think you could squeeze more out of those injectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

skivittlerjimb

Thought folks might enjoy some pics of Nick's car in motion!
img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

Brianawd

I love the inside back tire lift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Whoa!! Where'd you find those?

It was a great first outing for the Galant. I couldn't be more happy with the results of the day. My first time out in the car, and first time at this track, the car and I managed 1st in class and I think I may have even broken the course record for the class. (I was in DSP for those who cant read the stickers).

The car was great. There were very few issues that needed sorting on the spot, in fact only one that I can recall. For some reason the fan switch decided not to work once I got on the track. Luckily I had just gotten rid of the garbage Autometer temp gauge for a much smoother, more reliable VDO water temp gauge. So I knew what was happening. With some help from Matt, (the DSG tuner and electrical genius), we managed to hard wire the fan to a fuse power source and get back on the track in a matter of minutes.
Other than that the car was stout. The motor did very well and pulled hard throughout the day. Alex was watching from the pit in between laps in his EVO and decided that she needs a 3" downpipe. I agree, I just wanted him to say it first, he's the fabricator, I'm just the wallet. Right now thats the only power change I plan on making in the immediate future.

The major work needs to be dedicated to the suspension. Whats the point of all wheel drive if you cant keep all four wheels on the ground? I'm still anxiously awaiting my new Ground Control coilovers as I have been for the past month or so. Right now I still have the AGX's with the mystery springs on the front,(I think they might be H&R's) and the MR Bilsteins with the stock EVO springs in the rear. The big sway bars help to rotate the car, but if you're not careful, it may come around on you a bit too fast. I also plan on dialing in more front camber. Right now I'm running -1.4* in the front, I plan on maybe doubling that. Also, in the future, perhaps this winter, Id like to finish the cage. Id like to stiffen the front of the chassis a bit more.

The brakes were intense. I have never felt such a sure brake pedal on any of my cars. The Hawk HT-10 pads bit decently when warm, but they bite HARD when they get hot. It allowed me to got very, very deep into turns before having to touch the pedal. I cant say how well the brake ducts were working, but I know I never experienced any brake fade.

She also needs a face lift. Paint is in the near future. She has the performance, now she needs the look.

Here are a the only pics I took at that track yesterday:
DSC00148.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

And here is the Toyo-Bishi Tow Team. I was really pushing the absolute limits of the Tacoma with that U-Haul trailer.
DSC00152.jpg

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif excellent! it good to see a VR-4 out on the track, beating on the kids....i can't get enough.....hmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

blacksheep

Nice to see that you can enjoy the car for it whats built for? I like the fact that DSG is using yotas to tow

Nick - How does the tacoma handle the tow? Would a lighter trailer help it a lot? I am curious about them and the nissan frontiers as well.

Sorry to go off-topic.

The Taco does alright. The uhaul trailer is way too heavy for it, so a lighter trailer, such as a feather-weight, would be perfect. With the uhaul trailer it took a little extra time to climb some of the hills, and I couldnt go over 80mph or the trailer would start to fishtail and carry the truck along with it.

Al is right though, I do have a little something to share with the crowd. After about 7 weeks of waiting I finally got my Cround Controls!

Alex went ahead and modified the front Bilsteins this morning before I arrived at the shop.

DSC00201.jpg

He cut off the bottom perch and left the weld so that the sleeve would have somewhere to sit.

DSC00205.jpg

That was the installed height, I ended up dropping as low as the sleeves would allow me to go. I had to zip tie the brake line to the strut, it should be fine.

DSC00206.jpg

Alex also made me a spacer for both the front struts. The Galant knuckle is a bit thinner than the EVO knuckle. So he cut off some of the AGX and used those pieces as shims.

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

The rears were much more striaght forward, as Alex had already modified the bottom mounts for me.

The final result:
DSC00211.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

Im going to dial in more camber on both front and rear when I do my next alignment.

And as promised the final specs for the kit. This is for anyone who would like to do this in the future.

DSC00215.jpg

The springs Im running are 550lb front and 400lb rear. Thats as close the 10k and 7k as I could get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad to hear you're having a blast with the car nick. How does the bilsteins feel? I'm running the evo 8 stock struts but would like to switch to these later on.

Rausch

^^ this would be a good place to looky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bimmubishi

MRs have Bilsteins and regular Evos, GSRs and RS have KYB. The KYB are great struts also. Mitsubishi used Bilsteins because they are less damped and offer a more compliant ride on rough surfaces. The reason Nick chose the Bilsteins over the Kyb is that the Bilsteins are rebuildable with different valve settings so down the road we can match the damping rates with the spring rates.

CP

I just got these bad boys from Larry via Hotbits/Malaysia. I'm waiting for the correct rear top mounts, and hope to have them installed in the next few weeks. The Teins gave me a beating at LRP for the last two days. That track is much bumpier than it was a month ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned