The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon Fiber hoods and trunks are done!!

cOmpressor

Boned! If the trunk was smooth I would be on my way down tomorrow to pick one up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

turbowop

Quoting VRausch4:
The JDM hood has the vent area set into the sheet metal. There are depressions that allow the vents to sit essentially flush with the hood line, VS on top when installing teh vents into a factory style hood.

The factory JDM hood also has the correct underhood skeleton to accomodate the vents. Cutting into USDM hood for vents may look good from above, but not as clean from underneath. If a well fitting carbon JDM hood was offered, I would finally jump on the CF bandwagon, possibly for a trunk also.

cool!

are both sides done at different times then epoxied together?i like how the back framework is there.

-get UV protection somehow or the CF will rot over time(not sure how long). maybe a clear coat with some polarization?

and if you need to drill or cut .... do it with water OR a vacuum while you do so... fiberglass shards are no fun!(shards is basically dust that will "irritate" your skin. very painful if you happen to rub it in.)

All of our parts are wet lay lay-up, as are all or most other parts out there, unless dry carbon is requested.

Back side is fiberglass with black gelcoat.

chrisb33

this might be a dumb question on my part but why didnt you make the under hood "flat" or "smooth"? that way people with VR4 rs hood vents can just cut holes to accommodate the vents.

is there an integrity issue with regard to the suggestion above? reason i ask is because i also plan to have my hood converted to CB here in the Philippines and i was thinking of just doing the under side of the hood flat. I'm also planning to put another small vent on the passenger side near the windshield to help my meth tank "cool" plus help engine bay tempreture's at bay.

Ive done it with my wife's suzuki swift. no integrity issues. but then again, the swift isnt as fast as my galant. Plus the swift didnt have any vents on it.

chris b

Polish

Quoting kamilatHirev:
Just to give you an idea, we break even on the 15th order so I hope we can at least get 16 of them out.

You should, all the people who will order won't say squat in this thread. They'll just be adults and be happy you offered the product you did, all the whiners who can't afford it anyway will find some minuscule reason they won't order one.

*Doesn't apply to everyone who posted in this thread so don't get a sandy vagina because you don't know if I am talking to you or not*

On a side note, I think they look great. Semantics aside they look like quality stuff and shed weight in a classy way unlike some of the stuff I did to my old car. Thanks for stepping up and doing it even with all the complainers.

Barnes

Sounds like I... *gulp* agree with Polish on this one.

Srsly though. You will sell them. The fact that I can just call, and place an order is huge.

So anyone know how much weight you'd shed if you purchased both of these?

slugsgomoo

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting VRausch4:
The JDM hood has the vent area set into the sheet metal. There are depressions that allow the vents to sit essentially flush with the hood line, VS on top when installing teh vents into a factory style hood.

The factory JDM hood also has the correct underhood skeleton to accomodate the vents. Cutting into USDM hood for vents may look good from above, but not as clean from underneath. If a well fitting carbon JDM hood was offered, I would finally jump on the CF bandwagon, possibly for a trunk also.

if you guys build a jdm hood (CF or FG) that way, I'll order one today.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Sounds like I... *gulp* agree with Polish on this one.

Srsly though. You will sell them. The fact that I can just call, and place an order is huge.

So anyone know how much weight you'd shed if you purchased both of these?

~50lbs

cOmpressor

^^ Same as when I got circumcised /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting c0mpressor:
Same as when I got castrated

Fixed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

i want one!(hood)
if i pick it up, is there any discount? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

number3

Please create a proper for sale ad in the "parts for Sale section" of the board.

Great job guys. I am very happy to see you made them with out requiring deposits up front.

VR4ownzU

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Quoting turbowop:
Quoting VRausch4:

if you guys build a jdm hood (CF or FG) that way, I'll order one today.

I agree....you guys seriously complaining about a slight dimple where the key hole would go? Leave it as is...it'll still look great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cOmpressor

U fail at quoting. They are talking about hoods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

THEKID

what about color carbon fiber ie: green red blue yellow

i want a hood and trunk but in green cf

can you do it

We can definitely, do colored carbon fiber, but of course that costs $100-$180 more depending on the color. Should I post this in the for sale section? I don't know how vendors post new products for sale here.

It took us so long because I tried over and over to convince our manufacturer to make these parts. He wants to make 150 of each and I promised that we will sell 15 of each even if we have to take a small loss.

From my understanding you guys are on hold until someone tries these parts. We will try to contact the donor of the parts and see if he wants to test fit these parts.

^^^^ i would have an independent third party that has no ties to your shop test fit. the mold came from a car that got it to work on their car but if you put it against another car it should be the same fit. thats pretty much what happened last time when they got the mold and people were complaining.

cOmpressor

I can come by, pick up a trunk and hood and test fit them. My car does not run but the hood is off for construction and I could have the parts back the same day if you want.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned