The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What you would like made in Carbon Fiber

I like his thinking^ on the intake manifold, however, we should step it up a bit. Hows about carbon fiber exhaust manifold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting BoostedAWD91:
here is a link of some stuff these guys have made. this is one of the guys i have been talking to about making some things.
click

Thank you for the link. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DR1665

- roof skin
- flared fenders front/rear
- basic dash: accepts stock gauge cluster, center stack space for switch/fuse panel, HVAC/radio omit (just enough to hide the wires)
- flat door cards (remove switches, handles, speakers - just cover inside of door flat)

No fancy finishes. Emphasis on light weight ans strength (unlike most aftermarket CF bits, which are pretty and often weigh as much as their stock counterparts). "Rule of thumb." If a tree branch as thick as your thumb could whack it at speed in passing without damaging it, it's good.

JSchleim18

Umm carbon fiber rear trunk cover. Instead of the factory tire cover that bulges up and carpeting to cover up the floor, how about a flat piece of CF?

mountaineerjeff

Yea, count me in on trunk floor. on a piece that big it would have to save weight compared to making something of similar quality and strength out of wood or metal

BoostedAWD91

Quoting JSchleim18:
Umm carbon fiber rear trunk cover. Instead of the factory tire cover that bulges up and carpeting to cover up the floor, how about a flat piece of CF?

i like that idea... the only issue right now for alot of these custom pieces to be made, he is gonna need a car to use for correct fitment

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

im fine with givin a guinea pig. espeacially if that means i could get to keep one of whatever is made. shoot for free cf Ill trailer it there myself over night. and since we're on the subject of me not paying for parts, how bout a cf headliner? baller status? and I know how the last hoods turned out, but has there ever been a good run of usdm cf hoods? i think ive only been around long enough to see the last disaster happen.

BoostedAWD91

i highly doubt a carbon fiber headliner would work just for the simple fact is you would never get it in the car without breaking it

mountaineerjeff

What if it was in 2 pieces? the other option is it could be made really thin, then it should flex just as much as the cheap board that is in there to begin with.
But Id be down for doors too, eventually. I dont have 2k to throw down for a set right now, cant imagine them bein any cheaper.
Id like anything that would drop weight without losing functionality.
how bout a threepoint strut bar?

NateCrisman

I wonder if a super thin complete roof skin would actually work instead of a sunroof plug. Maybe engineer it with some sort of 1-2mm higher clips to attach the roof trim rails so that the skin can be held in place by being sandwiched under the roof trim rails and also hide the edge of the cf skin. hen one could just remove the whole sunroof assembly, run a layer of silicone around the sunroof hole or double sided body tape to secure/seal the CF roof skin. Maybe another layer of the double sided tape along the outside edges to keep it sealed up.

mountaineerjeff

im in for the valve cover. is anyone making cf fuel doors? I feel like that could be another thing thats just out there.
no what about an intake manifold. could this work? will the cf stay together at 40ish psi? I know they are heavy so this could drop some weight, and could be sold to a huge customer base, even though id like to keep em for ourselves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Koenigsegg uses carbon intake manifolds (as well as carbon a ton of everything) on there engines which see 1.6bars (~23psi). Chances are that the manifold would be as expensive as hell to make it thick enough to hold the pressure. Maybe Alex could chime in with regards to the strength of the one they made for the N/A S14 build.

Boostin21

radiator coooling plate.

air box for those using DSM style intakes.

taillight center section.

those would be cheap to make and actually effective. (minus the taillights)

streetmasters

toilet paper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

curtis

A friend of mine that owns total engine airflow up in Ohio now worked with a guy to build a box CF one piece intake manifold for a small block Ford back in the early 90's the plenum looked like a large pill/capsule with 8 legs running off VE stacks inside and a set of aluminum flanges bonded to the bottom for the head and the t body so it can be done and will hold the pressure fine. The problem is in the mold you have to build it so it can be removed and whatever you build it out of has to be resistant to the resin as it cures and but be soluble when you dip it to melt out the form. Like throwing water on foam and it running off then throwing gas or lacquer thinner on it and watch it melt. Then the problem of outside shape and thickness comes into play you would have to wet the form with resin work like made to get the clothe wrapped multiple times then get it in a mold sprayed with gel coat then inject or pour mor resin in the mold. Probably the best way would be to have a tube on the mold. Fill it half way then use a punger to pressurize the part until it cures.

When I was in school I was writing a paper and found a picture on the internet or a book that had a turbine housing built from carbon fiber and kevlar and showed it running on a dyno at temperature. Yhe down pipe was glowing red and the turbine looked like it should be sitting on a coffee table.

No as for intakes do a google search and hit images
these guys do them for the hondas for $1225 I found some one else for 800 to 1200 that will do custom ones, another for 1600 but found a vette guy in Australia that made a one off and the thread said $440 but thats just talk I'm sure as for price an entire manifold for a 4G63 would need one cnc cut bottom flange and one top flange for the t body and a place for vacuum ports I would probably just work that into the T body but the stuff would be a few hundred for supplies but the molds are whats expensive because the inside is wasted and has to be custom cut for each one. CNC time ain't cheap on a big machine.

GIjoe

Quoting Boostin21:
radiator coooling plate.

air box for those using DSM style intakes.

+1!

Whoodoo

Curtis, I wanna see that picture! Carbon/Kevlar is cool stuff. We made a three piece seat out of the stuff for the FSAE car here a few years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned