The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ebay Hoods

makedollarz

I cant find a hood locally so ebay looks like my last resort. Has anymone every bought one of these hoods off ebay from these sellers? One is a carbon fiber one and I thought there were lots of fitmit issues with the HiRev ones, but it looks like this is a different companies, so maybe there different? And the other is a new "oem replica". I just dont want to buy some junk hood.

Thanks for any info

click

click

click

a2vr4

I haven't had any experience with this particular item, but I can tell you that aftermarket body parts are a real gamble. They are cheap due to the lack of quality materials and skill in production (read made in taiwan). The main issue is fit, most aftermarket parts just don't fit well. Depending on how anal you are about fit and finnish of you car/how much body work experience you have you might be able to get a relatively clean looking install, but I would hold out for the real thing.
Just last weekend I had the lovely task of making a aftermarket fender and bumper cover fit on a 1999 malibu. Total pain in my a$$ and in the end the right person could definitely tell something is up, even after many hours of tweaking.
~Brian A. Moreno

JSchleim18

Quoting makedollarz:
I cant find a hood locally so ebay looks like my last resort. Has anymone every bought one of these hoods off ebay from these sellers? One is a carbon fiber one and I thought there were lots of fitmit issues with the HiRev ones, but it looks like this is a different companies, so maybe there different? And the other is a new "oem replica". I just dont want to buy some junk hood.

Thanks for any info

click

click

click

IIRC GT Fabrications is the company who made the hoods for HiRev

Boostdtalon

you are corrct sir about GTfab making the original hoods. unfortunately i'm almost tempted to take the risk and buy one of these hoods. i discovered today while working on 192 that the part of the radiator support that the latch is bolted too is so flimsy and broken (it's already been welded up once before from stress tears) that my hood will no longer close completely. unless i find a JDM hood and throw on some hood pins. plus my hood is trash.

JSchleim18

I have a HiRev hood in fiberglass. My opinion - it's not perfect but it does what I want (covers the engine and vents air out). I got mine in fiberglass because it's going to get painted so most of the little imperfections will get fixed.

makedollarz

my car is getting painted as well and they said to find a new hood cause im getting it done in black and I guess black shows all the waves in the middle of the hood as opposed to white, which the car was previously. The paint shop said aftermarket hoods might not fit perfectly and usually dont, but black will hide any minor misallignments or fitmit issues, and would look better then trying to smooth out my dented/wavey hood that is on my car now. Now Im just trying to figure out if its worth the extra $300+ for the cargon fiber one. What do they save like 25lb?

turbophein

go for it! i never seen these on ebay, my hood, trunk, and roof look like a kid was dancing all over it... i am considering both the hood and trunk right now. plus its on ebay, it says guaranteed show quality fit and finish. if you don't like it, or it isn't what they say it is, ebay will cover you and the shipping, or maybe they will even give you a discount...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned