The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 1415/2000

transparentdsm

Quoting G:
Looks great, How well does that blanket work? Been thinking of getting one.

thanks G, i have been working really hard on making this thing everything I want it to be. some might not like it, but the people who do are the people i talk to on here a lot and the people i consider my friends and i really appreciate getting the nice comments on my car.

I only have minimal experience with the blanket. two hour long idle and cool downs and a short 7 mile, 20 minute drive, but i can definitely notice a difference in under hood temps just by where i can put my hand and what i can actually touch. once i get the redline ill take a ride to carson/reno, do a log and get real AIT numbers.

Quoting coyotes:
Wash that beast! Looks great with those crystal clear headlights though, and those hood vents. How's the new intercooler?

It's awesome to see people getting sh*t done on their cars. No matter how big or small it feels good.Quote:

thanks Thomas, i really love the way my car looks, gonna look even better with a JDM front bumper that im getting on friday. now as for washing it, na, she's a dirty girl that likes to be ridin hard and put away wet. once i decide to do a real paint job and call the car "finished" then ill wash it.

as for the intercooler, it feels quicker and a bit more responsive in the rpms. so far it feels nice, but again no hard data. im hoping i can turn my boost down a little bit and keep the same amount of power. also after the next month of work i think i will actually get myself to DYNO and get some real numbers and real results. i hate posting things about power and changes in my car without hard data to back it up... the hardest data i have is my DSMLink and before these changes i was making 339whp at 24psi with no knock. i also have not pulled any timing, my meth kit isn't hooked up and i did not fine tune my WOT, i just made it so it was safe and i could go to 7500 rpms with no knock.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

not really anything to do with my build, but this is the reason i decided to have the bottle openers made for this community.

I was cleaning some things and found this in the bottom of one of my moving bins.

this is from Nate Crisman's old shop out in Blairstown, NJ that i got about 10 years ago.

transparentdsm

thanks Thomas, im really happy with the way everything turned out and ive decided that im going to paint the bumpers, hood, trunk and roof to match the rest of the car. im ordering all he paint supplies i need from automotive touchup and hopefully in 3 or so weeks the car will be all one color. this is not my final solution for paint, its just to hold me over until i have real money to spend on a real paint job and then put the car under a cover. i still love to drive my car and i do not want to ruin a super nice paint job because i drive my car every day and all winter long.

so this made me laugh, final price 138.08

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

A few questions/comments:

-Where dem JDM fog lights at?
-Technically, you will need more clear coat than base coat. Not sure how the spray can stuff works out as far a coverage, but typically that's how it goes.
-I got my bottle opener in the mail just now, and it is awesome. Thanks, dude! I'll update your good guy thread shortly.
-Go into your profile, and change your badge number to the correct format so it shows up under your username when you post. I'm guessing it won't auto-populate unless you fix it.
-Dem headlights look fresh son. Nice job.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
A few questions/comments:

-Where dem JDM fog lights at? - charles still has them, forgot them in his garage. i only paid him 200 for the bumper and will pay the rest once i get the fogs.

-Technically, you will need more clear coat than base coat. Not sure how the spray can stuff works out as far a coverage, but typically that's how it goes. - i got extra so i can paint my stock rims, wheel wells and underbody green after i clean and rubberize the rest of the bottom and do not need clear coat for that. i think two cans of clear will cover the front/rear bumper, hood, grill, roof and trunk lid.

-I got my bottle opener in the mail just now, and it is awesome. Thanks, dude! I'll update your good guy thread shortly. - thank you very much and im glad you like it.

-Go into your profile, and change your badge number to the correct format so it shows up under your username when you post. I'm guessing it won't auto-populate unless you fix it. - done and thanks.

-Dem headlights look fresh son. - thanks, i love how fast and easy it is to clean and paint these things. a little tape and a rattle can of black, everything looks different.

Nice job. - i try and again Thank You!!

Quoting faqinshiet:
Looks great!!

thank you

Last edited:

chucklesas

Yeah, sorry about that. I will mail them out as soon as I get back to Cali at the end of the month. Looking good though. Glad you could make it work.

transparentdsm

so i drove the car really hard yesterday. i hooked up link and while cruising down the road my AIT were at 71-74 degrees, once i parked the car and let it idle it went up to 81 degrees and didn't get any higher. i didn't let the car idle for super long, but i though 15 minutes after a drive was long enough. before my under hood temps at idle were 99-101 degrees, while cruising they were at 82-87 degrees, at that time i had a rigged up 1G heat shield on there and a stock evo 8 intercooler. not i have a nice blanket and a larger intercooler. i also turned my boost down to 19psi and im still making 302hp according to link. when i had it at 24psi i got 2 counts of knock so i turned it down till i can get to a dyno.

IMHO this blanket really does do something.

jcrimboli

Man, that front end is looking mean! Solid work. Anxious to see this thing in person. Hopefully mine won't be under the knife when you make it down this way.

transparentdsm

little update and some new pictures. the car is running awesome, i have been driving it hard and really enjoying it, the intercooler and blanket make such a difference in the car not to mention a transmission that isnt garbage. the car is such a pleasure to drive at this point. i have also gotten and install a vacuum distribution block and a threespeed harness bar, i feel like the harness bar stiffened the car up a bit to. im finally happy with it and how its running. soon it will be time for a dyno sesh and then save for paint, i have gotten myself a DD, 91 Eagle Summit HB to not have to drive the VR4 on a daily, just 3 times a week on the longer drives.

and my new Summit Hatchback

G

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

transparentdsm

thanks G i couldn't have done it without your help and i really love the way these look on the car in person.

also i decided time for a bigger turbo. im gonna step up to a 60 trim and 1000cc injectors.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

thanks Steve, you'll have to come up soon with the family. it has been really nice and its like summer here now, we can go to the beach and BBQ.

so i feel the work has paid off for sure. i turned my boost down again, to 17psi bc ive been driving around town a lot. a kid pulls up to me in a 06 STi, loud exhaust, pillar mount 3 gauge and awesome haircut at a stop light. light turns green and i 75% throttle it in first and WOT 2nd, i had about 2 car lengths on him. i get stuck at the next red light and im looking in my mirror and hes creeping to the light and tries to get a rolling start, gets half his car past me, so i launch the car. pulled 1/2 a car by the end of first, slow shift into second and i hear him hitting the rev limiter. he pulled off on a side road so i took the next road as i wanted to talk with him and i guess he pulled off to not be near me or my car as he made the loop to the road i turned on and headed back down the road we were just playing on. 2 days go by and the lady and i are driving home from Carson and sure enough i see him pull on to the road. i drive up and pass him to see if he wants to play a little and he just hit his brakes and stayed 4 cars behind me. so Cait looks over as we pass and says he had the most pissed off look on his face as he looked at my car pass. we go to turn onto our road and she said him and his friend were just starring at the car will a look of disbelief. i truly love my car and the reactions it gets from looking like an accord or sentra and having more power then most V8's on the road.

transparentdsm

been a bit, lets see i have been driving it a good amount. i have been collecting parts, but the biggest things are a new grill, a complete A/C system, TRE stage 2 trans. i also got a new turbo, BC 272 cams, new injector clips and some other things. as of right now im just driving the car as is, i installed the A/C system and im getting it evacuated and filled next week other then that car is same as before, but i have a good amount of parts piling up.

looking at selling the summit as i might get an audi for a DD. if i do the VR4 will be going to a friends house for a real tear down and restoration of the underbody and engine bay, then i will do all the performance work to the car and finally prep it for a real paint job. i love the car and i love driving it, but i want something more mundane to kick around town in, but it will need to be AWD and able to pull my sled.

Last edited:

coyotes

What turbo did you get? Also what sled do you have? I been thinking about a deck for my F250 for sleds, my friend has a trailer though so that would work as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned