The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 1415/2000

transparentdsm

Quoting turbowop:
I don't remember needing to drill any holes when I installed my JDM rear bumper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i used the JDM bumper support. it has 4 studs coming out of it. if you mock the bumper up to the car you can make 2 little marks in the rear of the body frame with the studs, take the bumper off, drill two holes to let the 12mm studs go through, put a washer and a nut on from the inside. full bumper support. maybe you used a different rear bumper support then me or maybe you didn't use one at all. i tried to do some searching to see how everyone else has done it, but i couldn't find anything, so i did my own thing.

coyotes this bumper weighs about 30 lbs less then the stock one, so yeah its pretty fast now.

transparentdsm

yeah, the JDM bumper support/crash beam is crazy light and it makes for a really easy install on our cars.

here is a picture of the bumper and support from the inside. i mocked the upper studs on each side and bolted those to the body.

strokin4dr

Looks like you got a rear bumper from a FWD Galant.
The jdm awd bumpers bolt up identically to way the stock usdm rear does. Good to see you made it work though.

transparentdsm

well then that explains it. i just have a different bumper support or is the bumper different too? i don't know what the weight difference is, but the FWD bumper with support weighs like 15 pounds.

transparentdsm

ok so a little update, the transmission i bought before i drove across country is now in the 15k mile range, 5k more then i thought i would get, and is almost done. i can no longer shift into 1st gear without grinding, 2nd gear pops out and grinds if i don't hold it in place as i let my foot off the clutch and 5th has a chunky feeling that vibrates the car when not on the gas pedal. depressingly though i don't have the money to have jack's make me a transmission and when i went to put my spare shep transmission back together i couldn't get the bearing sleeve to sit all the way down on the intermediate shaft, thus the bearing won't sit low enough to put the c-clip back in place. so yet again i have to half-ass the car's drivetrain and put a used transmission in. bringing me to my next half-assed/cheap out, the clutch. If I'm putting a "new" transmission in I'm going to put in a new clutch/throw-out bearing. I didn't have any issues with my last clutch, FX Racing Stage 2 Clutch Kit - click, it seems to still be holding fine too. there site is 422$, but i got it off ebay for 107$ from the companies ebay store. so i figured i'll try this click, there site 626$, but on there ebay store 189$. its a multi-friction disc with a 2200 lbs clamp load, so i think it should be just fine with the power i plan to put to the car.

Also i got a new intercooler for the car, a 29" x 9" x 3" bar and plate. its a lot nicer then the evo 8 and much bigger too.

desant78

man i'm in the same boat! I had 3 junky transmission, and 35k late I'm down to my last one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I want to build one, but the money to have that done is not in the cards right now.

so I'm driving like a granny praying this last until I can, so I feel your pain!

coyotes

Quoting transparentdsm:
ok so a little update, the transmission i bought before i drove across country is now in the 15k mile range, 5k more then i thought i would get, and is almost done. i can no longer shift into 1st gear without grinding, 2nd gear pops out and grinds if i don't hold it in place as i let my foot off the clutch and 5th has a chunky feeling that vibrates the car when not on the gas pedal. depressingly though i don't have the money to have jack's make me a transmission and when i went to put my spare shep transmission back together i couldn't get the bearing sleeve to sit all the way down on the intermediate shaft, thus the bearing won't sit low enough to put the c-clip back in place. so yet again i have to half-ass the car's drivetrain and put a used transmission in. bringing me to my next half-assed/cheap out, the clutch. If I'm putting a "new" transmission in I'm going to put in a new clutch/throw-out bearing. I didn't have any issues with my last clutch, FX Racing Stage 2 Clutch Kit - click, it seems to still be holding fine too. there site is 422$, but i got it off ebay for 107$ from the companies ebay store. so i figured i'll try this click, there site 626$, but on there ebay store 189$. its a multi-friction disc with a 2200 lbs clamp load, so i think it should be just fine with the power i plan to put to the car.

Also i got a new intercooler for the car, a 29" x 9" x 3" bar and plate. its a lot nicer then the evo 8 and much bigger too.

Sorry about your woes. Which intercooler did you get?

transparentdsm

haha im not sorry, i drive the hell out of my car and i have really put a serious beating on the transmission over the last 8k miles driving down and back from work. the road to the vineyard is a lot of 2-3 shifting and some crazy turns.

here is the core i bought click, i drive the car so much that i don't want to spend money on a nice core that is just going to get messed up.

coyotes

That is nearly the same core I am probably going to get, just going to get one that is slightly narrower. If you check out my thread I got my intercooler kit installed, but it's way too big to really fit well.

I can't find it again, but there was a guy that tested high dollar name brand intercoolers against CX racing and ebay intercoolers. All of them were so similar and made negligible differences between them all that it really doesn't matter.

desant78

1. Your headlights look great! they really pop!

2. I'm curious to see what you do, I have a very similiar core and will probably copy what you end up doing. Stock rad, correct?

coyotes

They were out of stock on the ones I was going to get so I ordered the same one as yours instead. Looks good! Can't wait to get mine on.

transparentdsm

Quoting desant78:
1. Your headlights look great! they really pop!

2. I'm curious to see what you do, I have a very similiar core and will probably copy what you end up doing. Stock rad, correct?

thanks Sal. yes its a stock rad and ill keep you posted on what i do for now i just removed the evo 8 core and turned the couplers so they would attach to this one, but i do not like it at all and want to put new piping in there.

Coyotes - it fits really really nice and the bumper doesn't get pushed down. i already fit the bumper back on, but for now its removed because i want to redo all my piping.

coyotes

Can you take some pictures of how you mounted the intercooler on top? Or did you just secure it on bottom. The way my pipes are routed I'd be mounting it upside down to yours

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts