The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build thread for 504/1000

manikbastrd

Got tuned today at English Racing by Aaron. Car made 315AWHP/298Tq at 23 psi peak. Stock cams, on pump gas. Aaron was pretty impressed. Also I detailed the car. Here are some pics...

GSTwithPSI

The car looks great, and those are some nice numbers. I'd be happy with those. What turbo you running?

Summit white FTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

16g

manikbastrd

E316G built by Bell Turbo in Philomath Oregon. No porting on the Turbo, mild port work on the O2 housing. Aaron said it best, this is what happens when you modify a car correctly after ensuring all of the maintenance is done correctly. He also said it was the highest HP/Tq stock cams 16G car he had ever tuned.

manikbastrd

So I haven't updated this thread in a while but a lot has happened...Let em start from the beginning.

In September I moved from Corvallis Oregon to Charleston SC. I trailered my 2012 Boss 302 Mustang and had the Galant shipped. In transit, The galant was stolen and joyridden. The guys who took it have not been caught, however they left me with some nice reminders that my car was stolen. They somehow destroyed my Jack's transmissions tranny, ruined my shift knob, ruined two of my wheels and smoked my Competition clutch.

I recovered the car and repaired most of the damage. The stock trans is back in for now and I replaced the clutch.

Fast forward to January...

A navy buddy came into town and we decided to take my cars to the local car meet. I was in the Mustang and he was in the galant. We lined up at a light and launched both cars. He was a little too aggressive with the launch and snapped the passenger side rear axle. So, The galant went JSB until I could find time to repair it. I had a four bolt in the garage so it wasn't that big of a deal.

About a week later I was at the same buddy's in-laws house and had just gotten back from a beer run. I parked the Mustang on the street because I was tired of scraping the front splitter on the driveway. (I never do this) About 45 minutes later, we are playing forza and hear a car revving up outside and spinning the tires. I immediately think someone is stealing the Mustang and run to the door. Luckily no one was stealing the car...Unluckily, it was now parked about 50 feet away...in the yard...with a dodge ram scissoring it. Needless to say I was a little shocked, especially as I notice the guy is still burning out first and reverse trying to leave.

Luckily my frame rail was inside the front of the truck. The guy realizes he isn't going to get away and jumps out of his truck and stumbles over to us, standing in shock in the yard. He slurs something to the effect of how sorry he is, and it immediately becomes obvious that he was wasted. I make sure that there was no one else in his vehicle and get the cops on the way. They show up and take him to jail shortly thereafter.

As you can see from the pictures, my car wasn't exactly in good shape. Insurance totaled it out and I got a new car. Pretty big deal...It's a 2013 corolla.

Moral of the story is that I fixed the galant back up, dropped the 4 bolt in, and also added a beefier rear swaybar.

minneSNOWta

Wow Derek! Can't believe all you have been through. Keep your head up and things will go the other way for sure. BTW, did you ever find replacement wheels?

If you are a foodie, check out Husk in Charleston. Sean Brock is an amazing chef. Season 2 of Mind of a Chef on PBS is all about him. I will definitely eat there someday, so let me know how it is.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

No, I haven't gotten replacement wheels yet, and yes I am definitely a foodie and will check that place out!

Jesus_Negros

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Well, you are back in the fuel economy game!

That's a big plug for your wallet.

Good thing you were physically not involved, in all that vehicular mayhem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

CutlassJim

Holy sh*t the Stang! That guy would have had some facial damage if that was me. Must have happened in the accident officer.....

ApexHunter

Wow. Sorry to hear about that with the stang. Your auto hobby has been through the ringer this last year. Is the Corolla just a place holder or...i understand having an economical daily and all but that is quite the departure from a Boss 302.

My parents moved out to Mt. Pleasant last Feb. I went to Cars and Coffee out there when i went to visit last July. Pretty good turnout, and i sure didn't expect to see an MG X Power SVR.

3090301.jpg

I also experienced a lot of tasty food out there. Went to the Smoky Oak on the advice of a .org member. I was stoked on it; good if you like BBQ.

manikbastrd

Yeah, the corolla is just an econobox daily. Being in the navy, I have a pretty crappy schedule for the next year, and decided that instead of having a great car sit in a parking lot or on the pier, I would rather save up some cash and buy something awesome when I get back from deployment.

I am really considering an NSX, FD RX7 or potentially an R32 Skyline for my next purchase. I have a friend here in Charleston who is an importer, and I am really burned out right now on having my cars ruined. On the plus side it is really motivating me to work on the galant now that the choice is driving that or driving my corolla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

manikbastrd

So, after a six month break from you guys I have found some time to update my build thread. I have been busy! I have replaced all of my wheel bearings and seals, cleaned up all of the spindles, replaced every bushing in the rear, replaced both steering boots, tie rod ends, and replaced every ball joint on the front and rear. I also converted over to a 5 lug setup and got some Evo X BBS. I have to say she looks pretty good on those things. Lastly, I had to raise her up quite a bit because I was having clearance issues on the wheels. All said, it was a bit pricey to do but well worth the trouble, and I got a lot of maintenance stuff done and out of the way.

manikbastrd

I have been pretty busy with some navy stuff lately so I haven't been very good about updating.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts