The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 1415/2000

transparentdsm

so the car is back apart because i have a whole bunch of parts coming over the next week or so and i want to clean things up a bit. i got a JDM front bumper, multi-friction disc, 2200lb pp, new TOB, a used but rebuilt transmission and a A/C set-up. lots of work to be done for this.

Coyotes, i don't know your real name, but here are some pictures of how its mounted. Also, how i routed the cold side of the intercooler piping.
here is the top bracket, i only used 1 bracket, but it holds it fine. needs to be removed and repainted. i use loc-tite on all the mounting bolts.

here is the lower brackets - need to be removed and painted, i dont like the rust.

here is the cold side intercooler piping.

i wasn't happy with the 1g heat shield that i had on the car so i bought a manifold blanket, very thick and high quality i really like it.

now i haven't gotten around to putting any of my hot side piping back on yet because im getting an A/C set-up for the car and will be working around that by the end of the month

coyotes

I like that heat blanket for the manifold, maybe I will look into something like that if I do a FP manifold.

Also my name is Thomas, thanks for the pictures.

transparentdsm

so i have a FP manifold on my car and it was giving off a lot of heat and i didn't like it, so i got a 1G heat shield and made a bracket so i could use a 1G heat shield with my FP manifold. i painted it with ceramic heat paint and after about 5 months the paint stopped being heat resistant and as of last month it was heating up the hot side piping so bad that the intercooler couplers wouldn't stay on under full boost. anything past 20psi and i would pop a coupler. im really hoping this makes as difference as i think its going to. i bought it off ebay, it was 115 bucks, i got it in 2 days, its really nice quality, there are two other colors(tan and black) and what really sold me was a local reno guy has one of his 1G and after we went for a drive the one day he popped his hood and i was able to touched the blanket and the hot side piping and it wasn't hot. so i was sold.

MellowVR4

I'm defenetly picking one of those blankets up, I feel like it would help a lot, especially on hot ass days. Let us know if you notice any faster spools like they clam.

transparentdsm

got up early went and picked up my resurfaced flywheel, installed that, the multi-friction disc and PP. while waiting for the transmission to arrive i drank a few beers and started painting some odds and ends, mocked up my hot side piping and painted that again. transmission arrived late so i spent the end of the day prepping and painting the trans. it started to get cloudy out and drizzle, so tomorrow will be install and drive time. i also added a picture of the tires i bought and the rims from G that i have cleaned and painted.

EHmotorsports

its looking good! how far away are you from Chester Ca? the GF and I are taking a vacation out that way this July.

transparentdsm

that is about 2 1/2 hours north. are you going to lake almanor? depending on your schedule and how long your trip is you might want to think of making a day trip to tahoe. it really is beautiful down here and if not the lady and i will take a day trip up there and we can hang out.

EHmotorsports

yeah we are with the GF's parents and family but I may talk her into a day trip haha:) her Uncle's dog is mayor of Chester!! haha

transparentdsm

hahahahaha, i love california! well let me know and we can work something out. if you come here the drive around the lake is awesome and a lot of fun to drive as well. lots of turns and such.

transparentdsm

i was broke and bought a rebuilt used trans from Areck's part out, feels like its good. i opened the end case and cleaned all the crap out, had to replace the end cap because it was cracked, but overall everything looked good and clean on the insides. then i cleaned it off real well and painted it to not look like poop.

transparentdsm

Quoting coyotes:
very nice dude, is that duplicolor bronze on the wheels?

yeah thats exactly what I used.

Quoting EHmotorsports:
yeah we are with the GF's parents and family but I may talk her into a day trip haha:) her Uncle's dog is mayor of Chester!! haha

so i talked to the lady and she said whatever you guys decide works. we can drive up there or you can come down here. not sure if your trekking with the VR4 or not, but if you are i'd say come here as i know the road around here that we can drive on and have some fun. there is a 2 lane highway down to carson city that is a 65mph that you can take as fast as your willing to drive. ive def hit 80-90 around a few turns. its a lot of fun.

EHmotorsports

awesome! sadly I think we are taking the GFs Honda as it has AC haha. I will have to keep you posted as we get closer. we are not sure on what her parents plans are yet.

transparentdsm

def keep me posted, you and i can go for a ride in my VR4 then. the lady doesn't like when i get on the car anyways. if we end up coming to you ill check out the maps and talk to some locals and see what are good roads out there to drive on.

coyotes

Duplicolor bronze is nice, I did the Mercedes e550 wheels I had on my 940 turbo in that color, looked good.

click

I may do my evolution 8 wheels in that or another redo in white

Last edited:

transparentdsm

so here is the car all finished up, i had the output shaft seal come out(looked to be dry rotted) and leak all the royal purple out, so i ordered redline mt-90 and got a new seal. replaced it put it all back together and now im waiting on the redline in the mail because i went to oreilly's and they wanted 199.89$ a quart for mt-90 and 298.89$ a quart for heavy shockproof. i used ebay and got them for 14$ a quart for both mt-90 and heavy shockproof shipped to my door.

i got to warm the car up and cool it down a few time, shift through all the gears both upshift and downshift with no grinds and the shifting felt great. the blanket has def cooled the engine bay down a bit, but i have no hard data to show as of yet, before though my AITs at idle were 99-101 degrees and after a short drive you could not put you hand near the hot side piping. now, i can touch the blanket and the hot side piping, but i do not know what my AITs at idle are. once i get the new fluid i will update with numbers.

here the car is at the beach. i love 70 degree days and looking at snow covered mountains.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks great, How well does that blanket work? Been thinking of getting one.

coyotes

Wash that beast! Looks great with those crystal clear headlights though, and those hood vents. How's the new intercooler?

It's awesome to see people getting sh*t done on their cars. No matter how big or small it feels good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts