The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Who here is in 10s?

THEKID

in a recent newbie exhaust post another member stated

Quoting 91gsxz3:
i respect what he's done congrats being a punkass is great but about this he should have shut his mouth because it sounds perfect louder then my 10sec eclipse was so what ever you guys are all just fing haters for nothing i asked for opinions on size not what mods to do

so 91gsxz3 wheres some slips or vids we want to see this 10 second eclipse

Brianawd

Quote:
No they don't. It's not mentioned anywhere. Just the statement I quoted.

click
click
Both of those show rwhp and have been used by dsm people for a long time.

Quote:
Now, I can see how a dyno can read high and your friend could have a high reading dyno spit out 550whp. It happens. A full weight AWD dsm weighs about the same and a 500whp dynoed car can do similar.

How did I know you were going to same that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I vote we change your name to Digit2

Ok makes sense. So you can clearly see that a setup with a turbo using a terrible turbine housing that makes a mere 50whp more than yours can certainly net a 10sec slip. After all, your car did reach 11.1sec at 131mph.

Only time will tell what said turbo would be capable of when being pushed as hard as you've pushed the 3052. So back off with the think-your-wise comments. You know just as well as I do that a turbo that can spit out the numbers on the rollers that it does can make such a time. I never said that it would until this post. No one needs to. It's fairly obvious: given a decent driver and a well planned enginebay, a 650whp capable turbo will net 650whp trapspeeds and times. Who'd have thought? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And, for the record, I said that your turbo choice could not hold to redline the boost required for a +650whp trap speed and et. Not that your build doesnt pull hard to a raised revlimit. I was wondering why you won't lay off, considering that a turbo which CAN do such and spool in the same range costs $500 less. Yay for your choice! Yay for pushing it to the ragged edge! Why make inane comments ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Ahhh, this reminds me of way back in the day when an engineer on the Talon Digest told Marc Hallman and John Shepherd that their 16G-equipped Talons weren't making enough power to run 11s, yet somehow, they had stacks of timeslips saying otherwise.

As for trap speed versus horsepower, you can use formulas all you want, but then go try to apply that formula to people like Curt Brown, who can tune and drive a 16G car to what, low tens? Or a Red mounted to a Mitsu manifold to 9.3 @ 150?

This sounds a lot lile bench racing to me. Carry on!

FCR

A friend at the track in his VR4 10.33 @ 138mph (video)
click

Last edited:

Quoting Nate:
Ahhh, this reminds me of way back in the day when an engineer on the Talon Digest told Marc Hallman and John Shepherd that their 16G-equipped Talons weren't making enough power to run 11s, yet somehow, they had stacks of timeslips saying otherwise.

As for trap speed versus horsepower, you can use formulas all you want, but then go try to apply that formula to people like Curt Brown, who can tune and drive a 16G car to what, low tens? Or a Red mounted to a Mitsu manifold to 9.3 @ 150?

This sounds a lot lile bench racing to me. Carry on!

Apparently The formlas apply quite well to Curt Brown's trapspeed and weight. . . I agree that E/T is very driver specific.

charmcity

Brianawd, I know your turbo is a very good one but wheelhop is correct in saying the HX40 is a above average turbo at a great price. No I have not run mine but reading on the DSMTuners site there are 4-sections with 15+ pges of info and results and the 5th one now is on page 26. Having said all that your build is fantastic and you have the proof is all there that your car is strong. Wheelhop is trying to make a good point just the wrong way jsut a little agressivly. The holset stuff are great spooling and can go all day yes my turbo(450-650whp rated) has been in the 10's and so has the hx35, but the fact that there priced so well makes it an added bonus.
Again Brian your car is already getting ready to run 10's most of us are still trying to have them run without breaking. Life's to short to argue enjoy your cars gents.

Wheelhop,
I have no opinion one way or the other as the the capability of the holsets. That being said, I see you posting a bunch of stuff on them, so you must know better than most. What has your car put to the ground, or what times has it run at the track? Im not being a smart-ass, I really want to know.

Thanks!

turbowop

I wonder how many boards wheelhop has to visit to spread the Holset religion. He seriously doesn't have a single post on this board about anything other than Holset turbos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Brianawd

So its time to jump on this whole holset bandwagon. So any one that is looking for a H1C/HX35W/HX40W and bigger let me know. I have a bunch of these turbos still on shelf's at work. I will sell them to you at a good price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Oh come on guys. What are you going to chat about when an hx35 runs 10.9 with a full weight dsm?

Yes:Quote:

It won't happen, because it hasn't happened! So many thousands of holset users have strapped these turbos on dsm's and not one has run over 130mph with stock awd weight nor have they dynoed over 600whp.

Hmm, I'm just a loser with a cheap diesel turbo. Enjoy! But, I'm still not sure how I promoted holset in this thread, so where's your point on religion? I'm responding to a weakminded comment directed towards me.

Last edited by a moderator:

thecman02

vote we change your name to Digit2

*ZINNNNNNNNNG* that was very harsh Brian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Polish

To add fuel to the fire here are the two fastest Holset times on DSMtimes.

Both seem very respectable imho.

click

11.3 @ 132mph in a 3300lb Talon on pump gas with meth... Not to shabby if you ask me.

click

11.4 @ 129 in a 3350lb GVR4. Again pretty respectable.

So, they can run a number. Who cares if Wheelhop is a Holset cheerleader. It's not like he is preaching about junk parts like Ebay "50 trimz". These are good turbos, diesel guys run wicked boost with them and they last. So it's maybe not the ideal design for a 2.0 gas motor, who cares they still go fast and seeing as you can get an HX35 for

NateCrisman

Anyone here make some progress since January?

Im still on the path: clicked off 11.9 @ 119 on the first night with pump/street tires. Looking for some 11.5-11.4 runs on new tires in a couple weeks after I fix a couple more issues with the current setup. Then it's just a matter of making a bit more power.

Brianawd

Still stuck in the low 11s at 132. I am going to try and see if I can make it to the track a few more times. With adding the accumulator I can slip the clutch now. Hoping that will help get my 60 foot times down so I can get a 10.80 pass on street tires. I really want the 10s pass on street tires. Once that is done I will toss on the QTP's

Garage_Defeat

A few weeks back I ran 10.90's @ 129.99 on 205 street tires while trying to sort out the new tune with the 8 injector setup.

-Dan

thecman02

Brian you really need to get you ass to a track where you can hook up on street tires and get into the 10's. Best of luck. I might be in the elevens, but its all just a dream until I get my new engine broke in.

rlturbo35

We ran 10.6s already with 6.84 in the 1/8 mile , we tested in the eight again and went 6.47 at 112 mph ,so we hope tomorrow if everything goes fine should be in the 10s or high 9s!!! thanks Rolo from www.tunedbycft.com

NateCrisman

thread from the dead.

I got close last time out (11.1 @ 123) and broke a rear axle on the "would likely have been" next launch. Running only an average of 25psi due to boost dropping off with rpm.

Going back in 2 more weeks for another attempt. Adding 4" cold air intake pipe, 50hp n20 shot, hopefully more stable boost. and another axle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It should go somewhere in the 10's with the nitrous on, even with a pansy non-breaking-drivetrain launch if it picks up 5-6mph. If I get a smooth clean 10s run in, Ill let it all hang out after that.

Im pretty determined to make that 10 second list in 2009. Then Im going automatic for 2010.

Last edited:

GolfBall

add me to the list.... oh wait.... give me about a month and i will be there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned