The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

undercar cleanup

Just started to try and clean up the underside of the car not a resto or anything but wanted to just kill the
surface rust and make sure it doesnt come back gas tank was up first. We power washed cleaned and ground away
as much dirt and grime and rust as possible mostly surface rust thank god went a bit crazy so what do you guys think
img.php

mitsuturbo

I think we need a larger photo to be able to assess this properly.

img.php

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

donkeylips

Did you just do the bottom of the tank? Remove the driveshaft and rear brakes, and drop the entire rear subframe and tank. It's only a few bolts, and that's where you'll find the worst rust. Especially on the top of the tank. Plus it's easier to work on outside of the car.

What are you using to coat things with? I probably wouldn't bother with anything other than por15 for fear of trapping in dirt, moisture, etc and actually promoting more rust.

Did you just do the bottom of the tank? Remove the driveshaft and rear brakes, and drop the entire rear subframe and tank. It's only a few bolts, and that's where you'll find the worst rust. Especially on the top of the tank. Plus it's easier to work on outside of the car.
What are you using to coat things with? I probably wouldn't bother with anything other than por15 for fear of trapping in dirt, moisture, etc and actually promoting more rust.

Didnt want to go too crazy as i said before so I power washed cleaned and then wire wheel everything then applied
paint/rust inhibitor recommended by my buddy its used mostly on trucks under carriages. I didnt drop all the other
stuff because it looks like the po had some undercoating on the car already there were some areas that now matter
how many time we hit it we couldnt get to the bare metal. Maybe next spring I will do it up correctly and drop everything
in the rear. Couldnt do that right now as the galant is my dd until I get my accord back from the body shop. Cant post a
bigger pic file size is over the 2mb limit.....

mitsuturbo

User powertoys image resizer and resize it to 1280x1024 or whatever is in aspect ratio for the photo. It will GREATLY diminish the size of the file, regardless of physical size.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts