The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

End of the road for 205/1000?

blacksheep

Not another rust bucket - No thanks! My faith in gvr4's have been shaken as of this moment to be honest. If I ever dump this thing, I am quite nervous to step into another. I will be looking for rust like crazy, thats for sure!

G

Staff member
Black, now you know why I ask for underbody pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

blacksheep

I understand, G. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but, this was well-hidden. I think we should make it mandatory to take the dog legs off and post pics of cars for sale threads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
No, you can tell it's got issues by how rusty all the brackets and bolts are, that's a dead giveaway it's been driven in salt. Without even removing the dog legs. Everyone learns the hard way. Everyone has a different interpretation of "rust free". Some are referring to the body panels, while experienced restoration aficionados refer to the underbody. Wopper have you seen rdomecks underbody? Just sayin.

turbowop

I haven't, but considering the guy knows what he's doing when it comes to bodywork, and pulls every single piece of trim off the car when he does, I highly doubt it has any rust like that. That said, I would still look under the car. But considering the work put into it, I think it's much less of a gamble and probably one of the better cars to look more closely at if looking for something nice.

G

Staff member
I've seen people go all out on paint work before but when you get underneath it's a turd. Not saying his is like that, just saying no one knows until pics surface. It's hard to even find a clean "rust free" example in the midwest as it is, so the chances are slim it was not driven in salt during it's life in the midwest. Unless it was imported from a salt free state but even if that's the case, it was still driven in salt once it arrived to the midwest. Once the rust starts it's like a cancer.

Last edited:

misterfixit

Blacksheep. I know your pain..

My VR4 is waiting for surgery like that.

One of the killers is the skirt kit. lots of holes, and the seals on the kit clips fail. Other one is the sh*t trap behind the front wing that collects leaves etc... its defo a good routine to spend a half hour every few months pulling all the leaves and sh*t out with a stick when the front doors are open.

I do agree with G on the underbody, there are certain things that give away the cancer. and again I feel your pain. My VR-4 is in worse shape.

As for panels, a stock base shell is a good start. No holes to make water traps and the stampings are the same. The only difference is the centre part of the floorpan up front on the panels you'll be wanting to cut off.

Not wanting to make your day worse, it would be good to tear off All of the sideskirts. Look at the sill (rocker) the whole way along. You may find it better to do the whole lot in one hit.

Please don't bodge it. I had that done on mine. but now I have to replace the whole inner and outer and other panels too.

Rich

Last edited:

boostedinaz

I'll attest to the amount of work rust repair can be. If you are going to have it fixed just make sure it is done correctly. Saving this shell won't be cheap but it could be worth it if you are in it for the long haul.

We have a 914 in the shop getting a Suby transplant but before we could do that we had to address rust issues. I had 30 hours into this car in rust repair alone. The section shown below was a good 20 hours, the other 10 were on the inside of the "engine bay".

Last edited:

blacksheep

Wow - great work. Wish you guys were local to me. I would trust a shop like that in a heartbeat! Looks like I will be selling her allright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ktmrider

Quoting blacksheep:
Not another rust bucket - No thanks! My faith in gvr4's have been shaken as of this moment to be honest. If I ever dump this thing, I am quite nervous to step into another. I will be looking for rust like crazy, thats for sure!

Can't believe the timing on this: click

Your unicorn IIRC ( SW, sunroof, all systems functional ) plus been in NM most of its life so fewer chances for rust.

blacksheep

Damn, Mike. If I had to pursue it, I would need to sell this thing first. Else wife will shoot me. This fiasco has her pretty annoyed with me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rmontalvo23

This one has been for sale down here for some time now. Florida car so chances of rust are very low. And check out that low price.

click

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting misterfixit:
Other one is the sh*t trap behind the front wing that collects leaves etc... its defo a good routine to spend a half hour every few months pulling all the leaves and sh*t out with a stick when the front doors are open.

This. Causes the start of most of the worst rust I have ever seen on these cars. I clean mine out regularly. One of the first things I did when I got mine. Thankfully they were both decent (one was 10 years old when I got it, the other 15), but needed some minor repair.

ktmrider

Quoting blacksheep:
Damn, Mike. If I had to pursue it, I would need to sell this thing first. Else wife will shoot me. This fiasco has her pretty annoyed with me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Understand that 110%. My home boss just shakes her head and walks away when I bring up anything GVR4 related.

blacksheep

Here is 205 as she sits this evening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DSC00536_zpscb0647f7.jpg

blacksheep

Made a decent rockauto order today and used the promo code in FS section:

1) Both front lower control arms - ball joints were shot with boot rips and hardly any grease in them. The sides of the larger rear bushing disintegrated when taking off. So, I decided to just f*** it and order 2 new arms.

2) Front rotors and pad combo kit - I beat the sh*t out of my rotors taking them off, so game over for them. Pads were old too. So, might as well go bye-bye. Still contemplating new calipers since these are rusted and I don't know if I want to risk it.

3) Front Swaybar endlinks - I had cut stockers off and then grind them out of the swaybar. Got some new ones to replace them.

4) New tie rod ends - Stockers were shot to high hell. Might as well replace these joints as well. Pretty much front will be all new for next owner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Time to drop the pan soon and get to putting her back together.

G

Staff member
I hope a rusty corner doesn't collapse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

G

Staff member
Yeah that's what I meant.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned