The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

End of the road for 205/1000?

Romanova

KC,
If you get calipers from RA, get the Centric ones... I got all four for 490 before I sold it... great stuff!

jcgalntvr4-244

Just man up and save her Mang.

curtis

KC getting ready to part one out for the same issues in the rear and all the lines are about to explode from rust up the middle but I believe since everything up front was so covered in oil/grease it may be OK. I haz a plasma cutter so not all is lost.

blacksheep

Curtis - Take a look at yours and see. I may need the whole rocker panel piece and the front and rear fender pieces. Next up is to find a good body shop for an estimate to fix it. Else, when I sell it, new owner can get the pieces from you or I can include in sale so it helps make their life a little easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ian M

If that's the the only bad spots,and the rest of the car is really nice,I wouldn't scrap the car because of that.

That would be a great place to learn sheetmetal repair panel fab and welding skills. The saving grace is that its under cladding so if you do a nice job but not %100 concours factory correct nobody will see it. Even the bottom of the fender could be saved with the bottom of a smashed donor fender or a fabbed part. The important part is cut the rust out so it can't continue,and make it solid again.

Money wise (especially if you are paying for labor) the car isn't worth it,but these things aren't being buily anymore,so if you can save it and learn a new skill what the hell.

4g63mightymax

Well said Ian - I am in complete agreement.

If you do decide to repair it yourself, take it one small section at a time, and start with something easy like the lower fender. If you cut all the rust out at once, it will seem overwhelming, which won't help morale any.

Also - all of my plastics are off right now, so I can take pictures of my VR4 for reference. Then you can see what all the metal SHOULD look like when complete. If you want... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimmye

Im in the same boat as far as rust. I thought I was looking at my car. Luckily I found a roller shell for cheap and now I have the pieces to replace the rust.

blacksheep

Yes, I will be pretty much selling it in a month or less. I am buttoning up underneath, Tanner. Don't know if you saw my axle seak and oil pan leak threads. I put new OEM seal since it was leaking and a new oil pan on since my stock one was dented a little.

I also have brand new control arms, tie-rods ends, swaybar endlinks, rotors, pads and calipers I will be slapping on in the front. I also am doing the tranny, tcase and rear diff fluids before I set her down. Last night, I got the exhaust back on, both axles back in etc.

ShaggyTE

I missed those threads. Crazy the amount of work you are putting into it to sell it! I hope it all works out, I was excited to see the outcome of this car when you first got it, sad to see it didn't work out

blacksheep

I would feel horrible about myself to rig it back together shoddily and sell it to someone. That's just not right. It may take more money and time, but hey, I will sleep at night one it sold. If someone who bought it can fix the rust, they will have a really nice stock unmolested gvr4!

I was really bummed for a while and then started to drown my sorrows in Saki - Kawasaki, that is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSC_0066_zps5b859869.jpg

Its been a good rebound vehicle. I ride to work and such. Its fun and relaxing!

donkeylips

Nice! I'm about to ride to work as well. Both of my daily driver Galants are down for the week.

Do you have pictures of the rear quarter panels? If those are clean I would say that the car may be worth restoring. Even on clean cars, under the side skirts is typical to be rusty. And when you buy a car from someone, you won't be able to check it first. Your trouble area is probably the next place to go on a cleaner car.
If you say the front subframe is bad though, it's probably time to re-purpose the car as a winter beater - the ultimate winter beater.

My GGSX is clean (except for a slight amount of rust where you're having problems, although the fenders themselves are perfect. It will never see snow as long as I own it.
I currently own 924/1000 and 108/1000. They're both way worse than your car and they're still fun. A new rear subframe, some POR15 work, and i"m having the most fun I've ever had in a car (in the snow). And no guilt that I'm ruining a clean, somewhat rare car.

blacksheep

Well, 205 in JSB no more. I got everything installed. All new front suspension components and brakes torqued on and set her on the ground. Took her for a drive. She drives straight, no weird issues and no leaks so far. Now, she is ready to go to a new home! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

G

Staff member
Hence why I always ask for underbody pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

blacksheep

Quoting turbowop:
Wow. The car looks really clean. You'd have no idea it was so rusty by the looks of that picture.

Thanks, Wop! In all honesty, its dirty in that picture man. It was sitting on stands for what - like 3 months (?) getting worked on. A nice wax and buff, it will really look a ton better. Anyways, I fell for it the same way, I guess. Looked so clean, inside and out except for some of the usual bolster wear and the dash lift at the defroster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am hoping I can sell it to someone who can fix the rust. If they do, they have a mint gvr4. I wish someone would write to Chip Foose and have him overhaul this thing for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

blacksheep

Quoting G:

We get it, G. Just don't act like a bull in a china shop, that's why you get the treatment you do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

992gnt

1587 was the same way. Other than the Mitsu paint fade, it's all there and all in better than average condition. As long as you don't look underneath. Your rust is nothing compared to mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

G

Staff member
Not sure what treatment you're talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Wopper made the point I've been screaming for years. Shiny body panels doesn't always mean a car is "clean".

Quoting blacksheep:
Quoting G:

We get it, G. Just don't act like a bull in a china shop, that's why you get the treatment you do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts