The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

holeshotmoe

Coolio!! When is this thing gonna be together? I'm dying to see all this stuff connected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Think the red looks good too. But, here are a couple sources for black, clear, other colors:
ITT , carlingtech , and of course digikey. BTW, I'd love to be in the ejection see.....but only once...like that car in the MIB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif movie.

Last edited:

curtis

For all kinds of cool electrical junk, gauges and toys go to aircraftspruce.com....It like super walmart for mechanics.

cheekychimp

Quote:
Black may look a little cleaner, but I would leave them red. It will make them easier to see in the dark.

Yeah, nothing could be worse than having that cute chick from the club in your passenger seat, reaching for the seat vibrator button and seeing her disappear out the sunroof ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

cheekychimp

Found these on the hard drive ... some pictures of the engine build !!!

Groden Rods

Ross Pistons 9.0:1

Wedding Day preparations

Are here's the lovely couple !!!

Knifed edged crank

Coming together

Ceramic anyone?

Mean f*^ker

See that little sucker on the end ... he in for a hard time !!!

The man from Del Monte ... he say YEEESSSSS !!!

Ted Andkilde

Hey Paul

I thought aluminium rods were a "race only" deal -- strictly for the fellows who tear down their engines on a frequent basis.

Are the Grodens made of a fancy fatigue resistant alloy?

Cheers, Ted

cheekychimp

Ted,
I'll be honest ... I don't know. I've heard the same rumours and from people who know far more about engines than I do. I really don't have enough knowledge or experience to turn round to those guys and say they don't know what they are talking about. The man who built the engine says it isn't true. He said it isn't necessary to warm the engine up anymore than you would/should warm up eny engine before thrashing on it. He also said there are people using these who have hundreds and hundreds of Dyno passes (over 500) on them without an issue. I personally think that this is more abuse than they will get from me.

One thing I do know is that the rods don't fatigue, the rod bolts do !!! ... and they do this because they expand at a different rate to the rods. One way around this might be to buy titanium rod bolts in the right size.

Titanium rods might be the ultimate answer but they are ridiculously expensive ... if one day these break, I might consider it. Bottom line is, I spent a lot of money on this engine. Even if it had titanium rods in it, to just run and run and run it and never crack it open for any maintenance is in my opinion asking for trouble. Okay maybe the rods wouldn't break but something else undoubtedly would. I intend to look after this engine. So if I have to replace rod bolts every year or two ... it's not really a big deal.

Time will tell ... if they break, I take full responsibility. I've listened to all the advice and I've made my choice. At least the next time I talk to someone on the subject I can speak from personal experience and not from a "people told me so " perspective. If you don't try, you never know ... right?

Paul.

JB

the whole car is trick Paul. Every aspect of it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

so when can we get some exterior shots of this beast or something ??? i cant wait !!

cheekychimp

Jason,
I can and will get exterior shots of this car. I need some before and after pictures ... but you have to understand it looks much like any other 13-15 year old car right now and it is also beginning to look very much like Larry's rally beast in that the vast majority of the interior has been stripped in preparation for all the seam welding, reapplication of some sound deadening (yes I'm sorry but this is a street car) and fitment of the half/street cage. This is essentially why I have had so many interior trim pieces out of the car to allow me to play with.

Believe me I of all people want to get going on this, the real problem is that the guy who is doing all the work only has a small garage. As you all know, space is at a premium in Hong Kong and we do not have the large workshops that you do. Many of your home garages are bigger than his shop and DSG by comparison looks like a dealership. Once he starts work on my car it is essentially going to put all his other business on hold so understandably once he starts,he wants to be able to just get on and do it all as quickly as possible. It would be very unfair for me to make him start now and then get left with his workshop totally unuseable for weeks whilst we were waiting for parts. As a result we agreed a long time ago that we would wait until everything was here before we really start.

In some ways it is nice. It has given me some time to look more closely at things. I now will not be doing any cutting or blocking of the 4WS lines. I'm just removing the whole lot and replacing them with a 1.8 litre Galant GTi FWD power steering rack.

I'm hoping we will get started in September (a lot is dependent upon when TRE gets the gearbox finished and subsequent shipping time). Once we start because all the parts are bought, I actually anticipate the build up being pretty quick, because everything is essentially prefabricated and should bolt right up.

Paul.

*Oh yeah I'm still waiting for stuff from Paulo too ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

curtis

Just when everyone thought this post had died and Paul couldn't mod anything else on the car.
These happened.
I final got a chance to finish work on his clear lens JDM fogs today. The projectors were replaced with some coated ones that were a little smaller and match the ones in the headlamps. The center sections of the square lights were also replaced with some that have an amber globe on them. The main reason is because Paul informed me that the Hong Kong Police force is cracking down on HIDs and this is a way to camoflage them. I still need to cut the cover for another light and do some finish painting but they turned out quiet well.
I wish I had a JDM bumper so I could install all of these to see what they look like as a set.

Since Paul isn't at home right now most of you will see these before he does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

those are bad f**king ass, can I be next in line for set... nice job yo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

curtis

I can do some more, kinda like these but the clear lens wouldn't be a problem.

I told Paul that the stuff I was building for him wouldn't be duplicated, me being a man of my word it want be so don't ask. Thats the beauty of doing one off custom stuff your guaranteed not to see anyone else with the same thing. Like the pictures of the JDM car with the flares and the mucho wide tires and custom brakes and the headlights I built for myself, the headlights where the front signals should be, the chopped rear bumper, dual exhaust, etc. etc. etc. . Muhahahahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Quote:
The main reason is because Paul informed me that the Hong Kong Police force is cracking down on HIDs and this is a way to camoflage them.

Isn't Paul the Hong Kong Police force /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ?

twkd

fastasleep

I think I just wet myself a little...

any ETA on when this beast will be complete? Are we talking weeks or months here? This car is gonna be sick.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts