The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Hey Paul,

I take it you have the body all stripped back and it's getting a respray too?

Do you have any photos of that part of the build at all? Are you sticking with the stock Jspec kit?

Quote:
Quote:
This will be the most anticipated gvr4 build in the world. Can't wait.

I hope I don't disappoint you all ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

At this point, the only disappointment would be to scrap this project which I'm pretty sure won't happen.

turboflanagan

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be the most anticipated gvr4 build in the world. Can't wait.

I hope I don't disappoint you all ...

At this point, the only disappointment would be to scrap this project which I'm pretty sure won't happen.

I'm already disappointed! I'm disappointed that I'm not a cop on the take /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif to be able to afford a build like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

You mentioned somewhere on page xx of xxx something about use for work. Do you intend to use this thing for po-po work?

steve

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif n00b

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

this is for a police officer ? thats awesome !!! I'd love to get pulled over by a gvr4 ! wait a minute, no I wouldn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Ted Andkilde

I wouldn't worry too much about Paul pulling you over, unless Alex sources him some retractable pontoons and a stern drive...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

4orced4door

You gotta paint it black and white and put a light bar on the top. Pleease... that thing would be so hot!

turboflanagan

Quote:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif n00b

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And where is that middle finger smilie when you need it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You just can't quote the most recent post, like mine. See, just look up here.

cheekychimp

Jase ... yes it's being fully stripped, seam welded, painted and undersealed ... I'll get pics don't worry. When you say J-spec kit what do you mean exactly.

The idea has always been to keep it looking essentially stock but just new as if it just rolled off the production line but at the same time to be mechanically far superior. Apart from the lights Curtis has done it shouldn't look that different, just clean. But mechanically it will be more Hardcore DSM than J-Spec. The Cyclone has gone, replaced by a Forrester !!!

Police work? ... hell yeah ... but unmarked only ... black and white with a lightbar? ... Paul that's for photoshop only you "fou" !!!

Curtis has prepped the headlights for covert strobes ... he hopefully will be doing the same with the projector fogs. Two weeks ago car thieves got away with THREE brand new EVOLUTION XIs stolen from a Mitsubishi depot. Boy would I loved to have had this monster on the road when that went down !!!

Cop on the take? I wish. If I was maybe I'd still have enough money for the Alpine F1 status speakers I want ... but I got to pay Al and TRE first. I can't believe I'll be driving around with Zapco amps and processors and no tunes until I can save up some more cash ...

... so how DID I afford this? No kids (yet), I don't drink, don't smoke, I'm 37 and have been working for 15 years overseas, I worked my butt off for my degree in university to land this job ... and this is my reward to myself for the sacrifices I have made ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

curtis

Somebody photo shop a JDM VR4 with his wheels and black and white paint.

Also Paul you have way to many hits on this thread. I'm going to start a thread that gives away free beer or woman or both to de throne you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

Well I'm going to reveal something else.

If I didn't like Paul I wouldn't have built this because I breathed in enough phenolic resin dust to kill 12 lab rats. Yes Phenolic resin theres only 2 idiots in the world with a COP like this me and Paul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Curtis, why didn't you just use an aluminum or Stainless plate like everyone else? Just curious. Looks great though. I love my COP.

curtis

It will keep the coils cooler but most people wouldn't pay the price for a sheet of phenolic resin or even know where to get it. This was left over stuff I've had for years and I have to be abby normal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheekychimp

Faustus,
There has been a lot of controversy about COP setups before ... well with the 4G63 engine at least ... coil failure rate seems to vary, but there seems to be very little controversy over the main cause ... EXCESSIVE HEAT !!!

Under hood temperatures WILL NOT just go away because of this stuff, we both know that and in my case at least, keeping them down will require the combined efforts of a large Koyo radiator running Evans NPG+, ceramic coated header pipes, the JDM vents and a 50/50 alcohol/water mix injected right after the turbo.

I DO NOT think there can be much doubt however that the heat transmitted to the coils through this stuff will be SIGNIFICANTLY less than the heat transferred through any other metal.

Maybe the COOL factor itself will have some cooling effect ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Last edited:

steve

Quote:
Maybe the COOL factor itself will have some cooling effect ...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif If it did, you wouldn't need the vents and alcy injection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
I breathed in enough phenolic resin dust to kill 12 lab rats. Yes Phenolic resin theres only 2 idiots in the world with a COP like this me and Paul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I hear ya on this. I made 2 spacers out of this sh*t and decided I'm not making any more. This stuff dusts like no tomorrow and it's so bad for you. Water jet cut from now on...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:

... so how DID I afford this? No kids (yet), I don't drink, don't smoke, I'm 37 and have been working for 15 years overseas, I worked my butt off for my degree in university to land this job ... and this is my reward to myself for the sacrifices I have made ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

You go girl!, uh, ...I mean guy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ted Andkilde

Quote:
Faustus,
There has been a lot of controversy about COP setups before ... well with the 4G63 engine at least ... coil failure rate seems to vary, but there seems to be very little controversy over the main cause ... EXCESSIVE HEAT !!!

I spend some time on the FSAE forums and there was mention of "coil dwell" being a factor in coil life. As near as I can tell if the coil dwell (which I believe is somehow related to the charging time) is not correct the coils can barbecue themselves due to internal heat buildup.

The "coil dwell" is a settable parameter on a lot of standalones -- so I imagine it could be a factor when using mix & match coils from different cars.

Cheers, Ted

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts