The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sunroof PSA

Spyke169

Just a friendly public service enouncement, don't forget about the often over looked places during spring cleaning. Slow closing sunroof... not anymore! Cleaned and lubed.

For anyone who has cleaned a firearm this will feel very familiar

cheekychimp

That reminds me! Years ago in the old 8G VR4, I had this sound that used to come from the sun roof everytime I braked or turned a corner. It was intermittent and I couldn't find anything up there. It annoyed the crap out of me. Sometimes it would stop for weeks then you'd hit a bump and it would start again!

One day I was driving home with the sun roof open and the sound starts then stops as a tiny phillips head machine screw pops out of the sunroof track and lands right in the centre console. God knows how it got up there, it wasn't from the sun roof.

Spyke169

Oh the random thing you will find with these cars when there has been a hand full of owners before you.

prove_it

I hate slow sunroof complaints at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Yea, cleaning will help a lot, but the sand and junk in there wear the crap out of the guides.

IncorpoRatedX

You havent seen a slow moving sunroof until you've seen a montero's 3 foot long sunroof from the mid 90's try to close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I've got mine all cleaned and greased and it works well but my last one was neglected for so long that it took about a solid 2 minutes to open, 4 to close, finger would get tired just trying to hold the button down.

Jesus_Negros

Cant even get my sunroofs open lol

GSTwithPSI

Another spring cleaning/preventive measure should be to pull the front fenders and check for rust or corrosion on the rocker panel just behind the wheel well. Good work on the sunroof!

coyotes

what did you use for lube? Mine works perfectly but it's worth popping it open to check it out.

manikbastrd

^^ same here...I need to do this, I was just looking at it and how dirty mine was today (finally nice enough to open in oregon!!!)

Spyke169

I wasn't entirely sure what to use, so I used silicone spray. I didn't want to use anything petroleum based around rubber and plastic parts.

prove_it

The silicone won't last if it's just the spray. Should work for now, but you'll wanna put something in there that's a "thicker" lube. I've good luck with white lithium grease. It attracts dirt a little easier, so maintenance is important, but only after a year or so.

Spyke169

I looked at my containers of brake lube and white lithium before settling on silicone spray. I'll have to keep and eye on it for wearing off and throw some lithium on it next, Thanks.

Spyke169

Funny you say that, I had considered using Rem oil.

Last edited:

NDVR4

Maybe I will try it on mine see what happens, a lot of other spring cleaning to do on the car first tho haha.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned