The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

642 rebuild

Capped all the ports on the TB, made EGR block off plate, rad fan mounts, and caps for holes in firewall yesterday. Got home to late to install any of it. My gaskets are suppose to come in today, so I should be a able to finish install everything this evening.

Weathers been crappy so haven't been to motivated to finish everything, but I've been chipping away and hope to turn her over tomorrow.
FMIC setup is all repainted and installed, plumbing is done, wiring is fully wrapped and mounted, radiator fan mounted, did most of the fluids yesterday (1.5:1 MTL:MT90 in transmissions, lightweight shock poof in transfer case, and castrol 10W30 in engine). Got my hardlines that mount on the struts yesterday. Still have to get them and my braided stainless lines in and everything bled.
Also finally dug into the gas tank which I've been avoiding. All studs were broke, half of the mount that goes around the sending unit holes lip was ripped up, and there were 9 holes from various hacked mounting attempts (2 holes were actually from a hose clamp that was cut in half and the ends screwed into the tank about 4 inches from the hole, then tightened down to hold it in place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif). So I removed the rest of the ring and JB welded all the holes last night. I'm going to POR15 as much of the top of the tank as I can see when I get home. The plan is to drill the 6 holes for new studs in the tank. I turned a ring and locktited 5mm bolts into it to make new studs. I then cut it in half so that I can get it into the tank. I'll then bolt them in place using jam nuts. Then I'm making a dam and around the lip about an inch wide. I'm going to then fill that in with epoxy to give a solid, flat, surface to seal too. Should be cured by tomorrow morning. Might even get to drive it this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Sam,
With this clean build you're doing, I'd make sure those ic pipes are cleaned up. They look out of place on such a clean car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Thanks. I take that very highly given the quality of your setup from what I've seen.
Those pics were from the rough fitting when I got everything. They've since been, fully stripped, sanded, and painted. The IC end tanks were sanded smooth to get rid of the cast finish and painted as well. All gloss black now (with the exception of the core which I didn't want to put any more paint on then what was already there.

Well I worked on the Galant all weekend and can't get it to run. I finished the gas tank Saturday morning and the new studs and epoxy mounting ring setup appears to be working very nicely. Bolted up nicely and there are no fumes. Also wired up a relay for the pump with 10 gauge power wire coming from the battery.
Had a few issues when I first went to turn it over and got them sorted out, but somethings still up. Acting as if my ECM isn't turning on. No spark, no fuel coming out of injectors. I know its something stupid, just not what. My laptop's hard drive had crashed earlier saturday taking my copy of the service manual with it. Couldn't dig into it the electrical at that point. I'm going to be sorting through it tonight to see if I can get it figured out. I loaded another copy of it onto my external hard drive, so I'll just steal my sister's laptop.

Thats what I was suspecting, but I wasn't sure where it was without having the service manual. Just checked the service manual and I don't recall seeing it by the ECM yesterday, though I do remember an unattached 8-pin connector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Probably attached to the dash, or on my table of interior parts.

SHE RUNS!!!

So the MFI relay was still attached to the glovebox bracket sitting in my garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Once in I jumped it and after quite a bit of cranking I finally got it to turn over. Once it warmed up, it idled on its own. Still have quite a few things to sort out before its driveable, but I'm beyond happy that I've made it to this step.

Chad989of2000

Great work man...looks like it's really coming together, now for the devil in the details work.

Lonewolf64

Quoting blue642:
Thats what I was suspecting, but I wasn't sure where it was without having the service manual. Just checked the service manual and I don't recall seeing it by the ECM yesterday, though I do remember an unattached 8-pin connector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Probably attached to the dash, or on my table of interior parts.

Glad to hear it was such a simple problem! Congratulations on your progress. Just keep your patience and steady hand and your car will be boosting in no time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Me too. Thanks for all the encouragement and input. Between that and seeing it progress, it really helps stay motivated. Especially now that the weathers going down hill and making it rather unpleasant to work on.

So I realize I haven’t updated in a while. Weather has been on and off the last few weeks so progress has been limited. That and lots of other car troubles. VW rear wheel bearing self destructed and rear brakes on my sisters Chrysler which I did in June have apparently been hanging up on the one side and ate through a set of pads and into the rotor. That which I have gotten done has been mostly troubleshooting. AFC wasn’t working (came unplugged from the board inside) and I kept blowing fuse 9 (wire grounding out in engine bay harness) which consumed most of the time.

After I got them figured out I set the base idle (1100-1300rpm surging though it doesn’t surge when the pin is grounded out and occasionally wants to stall when I go lower), adjusted shift linkage, ran wiring for boost and A/F gauges in pod (still need to run EGT which will be in center counsel)

Still have to figure out why the blower isn’t working and radiator fan. Thinking the radiator fan is the resistor pack. I have a spare and am going to wire it in today. Blower is probably a plug that I missed.

I’m going to finish wiring up my gauges in the pod today (was waiting for the paint to dry yesterday) and see if I can get the radiator fan and blower working. I’m going to finish installing the interior too if things go smooth. I know that I am well overdue for pics as I haven’t posted any of the final setup so they’ll be some tomorrow.

chucklesas

Sounds like my idle issues. Good luck with figuring that part out.
The radiator fan has 2 sensors that can turn it on. The fan gets its low speed signal from the temperature switch on the radiator itself. The high speed gets turned on via the temp switch on the back of the thermostat housing. There are also 2 relays that feed the radiator fan. The wiring on those get brittle and break off, then get switched around and confused when trying to put them back together.

Yeah. I've got a 1g neck with the pressure cap on it since I'm running a scirocco radiator. I replaced the switch that mounts to the radiator/neck yesterday to no avail. I check the wiring when I had the harness out and everything looked in order. I have a few spare relays so I might try switch them out if the resistor pack doesn't do it. If all else fails, I have a stand alone flex-a-lite unit with temp switch and optional manual override as well as adjustable fan speed which I might use and just eliminate all the factory wiring.

chucklesas

You could at least eliminate the resistor by jumpering over it (just tie the two wires going to it together) if you think that's the problem. To eliminate the switch being the problem just ground the wire going to it. That should help you in your trouble shooting. If it doesn't come on I'd suspect the relays.

Didn't get very far before it started raining last night. Jumped the switch and they didn't turn on so I jumped the resistor pack and still nothing. Pulled the relays to check the sockets. Both have constant and the one had switch (second had switch after it got up to temp). Had three relays to try, all three appear to be functioning in other sockets, so they're not the issue. I jumped the fan and it works, so the problem is between the fuse block and the radiator fan. Started raining so thats all the further I got on that project. Also got both of my gauges mounted in the a pillar pod.

First drive and first major problem made this was a great weekend and a horrible weekend all rolled into one.

Friday- Had off work and one of my good friends came over and helped me finish up the rear brakes, installed the fenders, trim the headlight brackets to clear the intercooler piping, and several other loose ends and then he asked me to be his best man for his wedding. Sweet.

Saturday- Bled the brake system and double checked all the fluids and took her for the first drive since everything went back together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif She ran a rich, but ran like a champ until she stalled at a light. Had to bump start to get her running again, but then she ran fine all the way home with no issues for the rest of the evening. I turned it on and off half a dozen times while sorting through some tuning issues, but everything appeared to be sorting out. Lowered the fuel pressure to 36psi base and that appeared to help with the rich situation. Reinstalled the center counsel and called it a night.

Sunday- Came out to take it for another drive and she wouldn’t turn over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Checked everything and couldn’t find anything wrong. Looked in AFC and it had forgotten everything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Reset the sensor and car type and it wouldn’t remember it. After repeating half a dozen times it finally took. Eventually got it to turn over and she ran fine. Got it up to operating temp to tune and made some adjustments. Turned it off and tried to turn back on and it wouldn’t crank over. Swapped plugs and tried again… nothing. It didn’t sound like I was getting any spark this time. By this point it was dark and I was fed up so I called it a night.

Any ideas as to what might have cause it to suddenly stop running overnight, literally?

Hertz

Staff member
Bad alternator and dead battery?

ECU Capacitors?

Clogged fuel filter?

Bad CAS?

It's not clear to me... is it cranking and just not firing?

Correct, cranking but not firing. First couple times it sparked but just wouldn't turn over. now it won't even spark, just cranks.
-Its getting fuel. Checked both pressure at rail while cranking and pulled plugs after cranking to make sure the injectors where firing so its not fuel (atleast not a lack of). Plugs were pretty wet after 10 seconds of cranking making me think it might be flooding.
-CAS has be reading to get fuel, correct? Also, the RPM gauge flutters while cranking indicating its getting some signal.
-Checked battery and its fine. It didn't seem to make a difference when I tried to jump it either.
-Alternator shouldn't have any effect until its running should it? Battery had a full charge after I shut it off last time and the headlights were bright while it was running so I doubt it, though its voltage is on the high side while running (14.8-15).
-ECU caps were checked when I was rebuilding everything. The board had been replaced with a non-EPROM unit and it already had new caps soldered in (though I didn't check the part numbers to make sure they were the right ones).

I replaced the no name plug wires with NGKs and closed the gap on the plugs to .028 (from .031-.032, BPR7ES) to see if helped. Nothing. It was raining so I didn't have the chance to troubleshoot any more. I don't have a logger yet, so I haven't gotten the chance to check some of the other common issues (temp sensor, ect.). Got the parental units trying to find the sisters old palm pilot at there house so hopefully I'll have one by the weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned