The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GST with PSI's build & restoration of 1813

G

Staff member
You can't just run a screen on the fuel pump. All the corrosion that is smaller than the screen will contaminate your fuel lines and clog your injectors. Causing the symptoms you described exactly. One injector intermittently working. Your going to have to hot tank or pickle the tank and then have it tinned. Search for companies in your area that do hot tinning.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting G:
You can't just run a screen on the fuel pump. All the corrosion that is smaller than the screen will contaminate your fuel lines and clog your injectors. Causing the symptoms you described exactly. One injector intermittently working. Your going to have to hot tank or pickle the tank and then have it tinned. Search for companies in your area that do hot tinning.

No kidding captain obvious? Did you even read anything I wrote?

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
The car is currently running with a screen on the pump inlet until I can come up with a a better solution.... 2. Pay $400 the get my current tank hot tanked, blasted, stripped and sealed inside. I was quoted that price locally from a reputable shop who specializes in such things.

GSX_TC

Well atleast it runs. Now you just have to work out all the bugs. I had the same problem last year with the whole it running like that from time to time. It ended up being my injectors. Dont give up yet, you've come a long ways already.

G

Staff member
Well you made it seam like you had no idea why it was running like it had an unplugged injector. Also in the same post were upset at all the problems it's giving you.

GSTwithPSI

I Dropped the fuel tank today. Here's what the inside looked like:
WP_000832.jpg

WP_000833.jpg

I'm taking it to a local shop to get it reconditioned. They chemical strip the inside, hot tank it, do some other odds and ends and then seal it. I'm not too familiar with the process, but for $400 bucks I hope it looks like new when I get it back. For $400, I thought briefly of just buying a fuel cell, but decided this would be easier and faster given the time I have to get the car in running condition before I move.

GSX_TC

Holy crap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I hope mine isn't like that, seeing this makes me wanna drop my tank and take a peek inside. It's a good thing you werent racing the car with it like that, that would be a bad day.

bobdole

wow that is bad. I would recommand you check your's Mike. When I did mine it was very clean inside.

LIV4PSI

I can't believe your tank looks so good on the outside, but so incredibly horrible on the inside.

mcbride89

I remember you tellin me about your bad luck when I was complaining about 125 :/ but damn I love your car. I think I might just hold onto my Cyclone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Very tasteful dude

GSTwithPSI

Thanks for the complements guys.

Quoting idreamidrive:
I know you are leaving San Diego soon, but if you ever want any help with your car I live in UTC.

I really appreciate the offer. Where in UTC exactly? I have a bunch parts I'm trying to get rid of before I leave. Do you need anything? PM me if you want.

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I can't believe your tank looks so good on the outside, but so incredibly horrible on the inside.

Well, from everything I can find, the car spent a lot of its life in Colorado. From 1990, to 2002 it was registered in Englewood (1996), Denver (1998) and Littleton (2002). After 2002, the car wasn't registered until I registered it here in California. Also, judging from some of the receipts and paperwork I got with the car, It spent a short time in Utah, then Nevada, and ended up in Northern California where I bought it. The car doesn't have any rust, which I would attribute to where it spent its life. Aside from the coat of spray paint I added, that's probably the reason the outside looks so good.

When I bought the car, it had been sitting outside for what looked like a long period of time. The guy I bought it from thought it had a bad fuel pump (among other things), and the entire pump assembly was removed from the tank. So, the car sat outside in the weather with a uncovered hole in the fuel tank for quite some time. To add to the problem, there was zero fuel in the tank. Water, dirt and whatever else made its way in and just sat there building up over time. I'd guess that's how the inside ended up looking like total crap.

I dropped the tank off at the shop today, and hope to have it back early next week. I'm really hoping for a good turnout. I'm just concerned about them being able to do a good job cleaning and sealing the inside of the tank. The tank has that sump where the pump sits, and divides the tank up pretty well. I'm sure there's a method they have to take care of things like this, but it seems like it would be impossible to get the crap out of all the little cracks and crevices inside. The shop is pretty reputable from the few local guys I've talked to, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

The tank in my old galant looked about like that. I bought a restoration kit and cleans and coats the inside for about $75. Took most of a Saturday to do but worked great. I even did the fuel sender too.
Luckily my new vr4's tank was absolutely spotless inside when I took a peek at the pump.

Mike, you don't have to drop the tank to check it's condition. Just pull the access panel in the truck and remove the sender.

GSX_TC

oh your right, i remember being able to peak inside there when i changed out my fuel sending unit in california, i'll take a look in there again one of these days.

G

Staff member
You have to have it pickled. Takes about a week of being submerged in a huge vat. While it's submerged they move it around in different positions so the chemicals can get in where the air pockets are and remove the rust. If you don't do it this way, hot tanking instead, all the corrosion may not be removed from all the crevices.

GSTwithPSI

^^^Funny you say that. The guy called me this morning and said they would need the tank for a week. He basically said the same thing, just didn't call it pickling. He also said it was only going to cost around $275 instead of the $400 he originally quoted me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . He said since the tank was in such good shape outside, it was going to be a lot less labor. They also recondition the outside of the tank as well, which is a plus.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Score /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

strokin4dr

Nice!
Post some good pics when you get it back.

ade

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
^^^Funny you say that. The guy called me this morning and said they would need the tank for a week. He basically said the same thing, just didn't call it pickling. He also said it was only going to cost around $275 instead of the $400 he originally quoted me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . He said since the tank was in such good shape outside, it was going to be a lot less labor. They also recondition the outside of the tank as well, which is a plus.

white vinegar @ $1.50 a gallon from a supermarket will strip all that crap off. fill up to the brim and change every other day for a week
use baking soda to balance the acidity and water to clean it out after dumping the vinegar, this will be messy if you didn't change the vin every other day btw.
por15 and a few other companies make tank liners which you have to apply right after, or the tank will flash rust. most i've seen for these are $70.

i have done this with nothing but success many a times, it costs less and yields the same results as any other treatment out there.

GSTwithPSI

I picked up my fuel tank from the shop today. It turned out great. The inside is squeaky clean, and free of all rust and debris. The shop sealed the tank using a product called Red-Kote. Overall, I'm very happy with the turnout.

Before:
WP_000832.jpg

After:
WP_000858.jpg

WP_000860.jpg

I re-installed the tank today, but decided to let it sit another 24 hours before I dump fuel into it, just to be safe. The guy at the shop said it only takes 24 hours to fully cure (which had already passed when I picked it up), but I was reading online that sometimes, the thicker coated areas need a little more time to dry.

I removed the fuel rail, injectors and fuel filter to inspect and make sure none of the parts were contaminated or clogged with debris. I also blew out all the fuel lines with compressed air. Hopefully now, the fuel system is all good, and I shouldn't have to deal with any fueling issues in the near future.
WP_000861.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned